Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2006, 01:20 AM

Default ADR - cueing-beeps...

hi there,
i wonder how you guys are using cueing-beeps while ADR? i´m dubbing sentence for sentence. before each sentence i often use a 1 sec. long beep - with its end, the sentence starts exactly. in most cases the narrator can get a long with it...
mostly if i´m muting production-audio after having the narrator listening to it often enough i´ll reach better results... what does your narrators have included in their hp-mixes while:

- ADR for same language
- ADR for other languages...

thnx a lot!
Old 01-19-2006, 06:55 AM

Default Re: ADR - cueing-beeps...

Hey there...

I use the "traditional" film 3 beep - that's 3 beeps 1 frame long 1 foot apart (set PT to feet/frames mode). The talent starts on the missing fourth beep (3...2...1...). I find most actors work fairly well with this - although it drives some to distraction so I will turn it off if I see it's not working for them. I find with ADR the real trick is to make your talent as comfortable as possible - do they want the guide on or off? Do they want the beeps? Do they like the talk-back on or off? And so on. Always results in a smoother session and generally better ADR - especially since ADR can be a traumatic experience for those actors who aren't used to it. Some will take to it like a fish to water, others... well patience is a virtue in ADR session

Howard Sonnenburg
Atomic Audio
Ottawa, ON
Canada
Old 01-19-2006, 07:21 AM

If you do a lot of ADR check out Gallery Software's "ADR Studio". It is wonderful.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:51 AM

thnx for infos! much appreciated them!

greets!
Old 01-19-2006, 07:05 PM

Quote:
I use the "traditional" film 3 beep - that's 3 beeps 1 frame long 1 foot apart (set PT to feet/frames mode).
We do this too, and we have a small box with a light in it that we trigger with a MIDI message that corresponds to the beep. The note on goes to a MIDI Solutions relay and closes the relay to turn on the light. Its like a streamer, but not on the screen.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:10 PM

Not a hi-jack

I am completely ignorant on "streamers". See the term occasionally. Have done a couple of late-night insomnia driven searches

it's obviously a visual timing cue

but

what is it, and why do people use it?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-19-2006, 07:44 PM

in the old days it was grease pencil on the work print

this is the most noted of the electronic versions:
http://www.webcom.com/auricle/

if there is/was no other audio you need some form of visual cue to let you know were to punch-in and/or preform

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-19-2006, 07:50 PM

FWIW, i use the count down beeps 3,2,1 ... as well. works great.

streamer: it is a vertical or slanted line that moves across the frame (film or video), that gives you, yes, a visual timing cue. this is easier for some people and in some situations. often when recording the music, some section will be done to clicks, a digital metronome, for a tempo pasages. free timing music uses punches or streamers. punches are multiple holes punched in the film or, electronically, on videotape. these produce a short sequence of fluttering lights pulses on the screen. the conductor is cued into these preperatory signals for the beginning of a cue or scene or a barline within a cue.

similarly, a streamer could be used. this helps guide the conductor to start a cue or sync point within the cue as s/he watches the streamer travel accross the screen. they work with 3 foot, 4 foot, or 5 foot or 6 foot streamer, being 2, 2-2/3rds, 3-1/3rd and 4 seconds in travel time. with 3 foot being the most commomn, scribed onto the film. obviously, on video, it is done in seconds, and inserted electronically. the composer and conductor get together with the music editor to discuss the various techniques that will be used. sometimes streamers are used to indicate where a change in tempo will happen, even if you are recoding to a click.

on the score, it is indicated with a -------------------------------| over the passage where the streamer starts and stops. (punch marks look like this +

the streamer travels from left to right across the screen. when it hits the right edge of the screen, you are on cue, the "dead cue"

to scribe it on the film, they used to use streamer boards. these could be made out of yardsticks. you taper it from the top edge of one side to the bottom edge of the other. they would hinge two boards together so that the top one was tapered left to right and two fasteners at the top and bottom held the film in place. they would mark the frame of the "dead cue" - the start of which was at the bottom. then they'd scribe a line with a nail punch or nail set. sometimes they'd put a punch at the end of the cue. like victor borge reading punctuation shhoooPUT! the nice thing about the punch at the end is it is visible even if you keep your eyes on the score or script.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 01-20-2006, 02:37 AM

back to the original question:

in my experience ADR differs a lot from country to country.
From what I know in the States the beep only (3-2-1-go) is very common for as in Germany for example actors expect the beeps AND some sort of visual streaming or countdown. Usually the actors lines have to be taken manually and put into the DAW whereas in other places like France the lines are displayed as subtitles on the screen. Though I like ProTools very much it is definetely not made to do ADR. It was designed to do music production in the first place and the post part of it has been added later.
I know "ADR Studio" and it's ok but honestly compared to what we had with ADR capabilities of AUDIOVISION (on a MAC 9600 !) it's going back in time...
Old 01-26-2006, 12:01 PM

Quote:

I use the "traditional" film 3 beep - that's 3 beeps 1 frame long 1 foot apart (set PT to feet/frames mode).

We do this too, and we have a small box with a light in it that we trigger with a MIDI message that corresponds to the beep. The note on goes to a MIDI Solutions relay and closes the relay to turn on the light. Its like a streamer, but not on the screen.

Hey Chief,

Cool technique with the midi controlled cue light. Is that the Midi solutions R8? What exactly is the small box with with the light in it? (Brand/model)

Thanks
Matt