Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2019, 05:23 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2019 !

I think a heck of a lot of people are judging the performance of native based on 10+ year old computers (westmere and older).

I don't have many 9xxx problems with my 7980xe hacks, even at 64 buffer with 40-50 VI's and 100 audio tracks. The few issues I did have were fixed by trashing prefs.

The only real *problem* with native right now is Apple. They aren't making workstation class machines anymore. Even when they stuff a decent processor in a mac mini or imac pro, the form over function engineering cant dissipate the heat to get full use of it.

To put it in perspective I'm running a $100 Noctua cooler in both my 7980 rigs and it can handle 300w TDP from the 18 core chips running at 4.5ghz on all cores.

People don't want to run hacks or windows and apple has abandoned workstation class machines. That is the only reason DSP and HDX survives.

IMO if Avid could drive enough people/plugins to a custom distribution of Linux we could be done with apple and DSP. Poor OS support is the biggest issue with low latency performance. Look at the waves soundgrid boxes.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Look at the waves soundgrid boxes.
Expensive doorstops. What about them?
Old 04-09-2019, 05:56 AM

Default Pro Tools 2019 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhill View Post
It would be sad if HDX disappeared. Before they can it, I hope they can look at reducing the price of it. It's probably impractical but if it was half the price maybe twice the number of people would buy it - which would stimulate the market for DSP format plugins. And the HD interfaces are ridiculously expensive for what they are.

There's nothing quite like tracking an ensemble with 28 lines in record while running 5 stereo cues and talkback through the Pro Tools mixer and being able to plug in at will without even thinking about latency - as I will be doing next week, as it happens... I simply couldn't do that with a native system.

Amen brother!! I like the extra added benefit of no 3rd party hardware to get latency free hp mixes, all just right from the sends, if they stopped selling HDX, it couldn’t be for another 5 years due to End of Life laws (ie Pro Control, Icons ect) but if they did, I would stay where I’m at en perpetuity
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.

Last edited by YYR123; 04-09-2019 at 06:15 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
If it was that easy, Avid would give away their cards for free to have infinite amount of customers buying AAX-DSP plugs that only cost a dollar a piece...

Or $29 dollars each where is that roll eyes emoji

Old 04-09-2019, 06:12 AM

Default Pro Tools 2019 !

Quote:
The only real *problem* with native right now is Apple. They aren't making workstation class machines anymore.
Preach it preacher!!!

Quote:
Poor OS support is the biggest issue with low latency performance. Look at the waves soundgrid boxes.

Yes, again I agree - Waves boxes are nice and while not 100% what I want, they are DSP in a box that lets you run a Ton of extra plugins that your Native system can’t do - semi latency free

Last edited by YYR123; 04-09-2019 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Expensive doorstops. What about them?
I don't care for them integration wise...for me I want everything under one roof. So I was glad to get rid of VEP, glad to get rid of TDM, not interested in HDX and not interested in soundgrid.

But they do prove that a relatively modest native system can run a significant load with low latency. IMO all we need is that for the actual friggen daw.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I think a heck of a lot of people are judging the performance of native based on 10+ year old computers (westmere and older).

I don't have many 9xxx problems with my 7980xe hacks, even at 64 buffer with 40-50 VI's and 100 audio tracks. The few issues I did have were fixed by trashing prefs.

The only real *problem* with native right now is Apple. They aren't making workstation class machines anymore. Even when they stuff a decent processor in a mac mini or imac pro, the form over function engineering cant dissipate the heat to get full use of it.

To put it in perspective I'm running a $100 Noctua cooler in both my 7980 rigs and it can handle 300w TDP from the 18 core chips running at 4.5ghz on all cores.
Just curious. What is it about heat dissipation that doesn't allow an iMac Pro run at full capacity? I have an iMac Pro 10 cores and 64 gig of Ram and haven't had a problem.

https://soundcloud.com/jason-kalman
Old 04-09-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:

People don't want to run hacks or windows and apple has abandoned workstation class machines. That is the only reason DSP and HDX survives.

IMO if Avid could drive enough people/plugins to a custom distribution of Linux we could be done with apple and DSP. Poor OS support is the biggest issue with low latency performance. Look at the waves soundgrid boxes.
Just curious. What is it about heat dissipation that doesn't allow an iMac Pro run at full capacity? I have an iMac Pro 10 cores and 64 gig of Ram and haven't had a problem.

Old 04-09-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I don't care for them integration wise...for me I want everything under one roof. So I was glad to get rid of VEP, glad to get rid of TDM, not interested in HDX and not interested in soundgrid.

But they do prove that a relatively modest native system can run a significant load with low latency. IMO all we need is that for the actual friggen daw.
Assuming you are running on a windows machine. Are you able to run low latency through USB3? Thunderbolt 3 with HDX is able to run at imperceptible latency.

Old 04-09-2019, 02:58 PM

Hi RyanC

My experience is the opposite...
On my 12 Core Mac Pro (Westmere), everything works fine with no errors.
But on my 18 Core I9 (7980XE) with HDX, i have constant 9173 Errors...
When i disable Ht and Turboboost, i can play the sessian 5 Minutes till it stopps with 9173. Same session as on the Macpro with same Plugins...Do you have a tip for me, how to get it stable?...

Btw the Core I9 is no workstation class processor, its the consumer version (stripped down) from the Xeon, which you can find in the IMac Pro...
And the Imac Pro has a great cooling system... The machine is not loud, even if you encode video and co... Maybe we see a new Mac Pro this year...

Real workstations never use a Core I processor...