Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2016, 03:19 AM

Default 8.1 (or 8.2)ch surround for installation

Hi all,

I'm composing for a multi-screen, multi-channel installation that is an 8.1 config.

I want to know if in PT HD I can change the LFE channel in the 7.1 config to use as my 8th speaker channel?

Or if there are any other suggestions for spatialisation mixing I'd love to hear them. Ircam Spat looks wicked but the price tag makes my head hurt (and is still only 8ch).

There are some Max for Live patches that look ok (like XY Send Nodes), but I need to know that a.) it supports my configuration and b.) I can bounce out either a surround file, or 8 discrete channels from an automated panned session.

Would really love some help. I've been out of the game for a bit!

Any ideas?
Old 06-20-2016, 01:35 PM

Default Re: 8.1 (or 8.2)ch surround for installation

The .1 channel is a full-spectrum regular channel in Pro Tools, but the panners won't let you deal with it in the way that you're thinking.

Lots of new tools out there though, so there is a way, even if requires ancillary software.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:46 AM

Just curious about that setup...
How are the 8 speakers physically positioned to the screen(s)?

When you say multiscreen, is it several screens with separate soundfields?
I have done some things in the past along those lines, using multiple bussing and such.

If you describe the position of the speakers and screens we might be able to give you better advice. if not, good luck regardless.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:53 AM

Has anyone used GRM spaces? Seems pretty well built for this type of application.

http://store.inagrm.com/en/home/15-g...ls-spaces.html
Old 11-10-2016, 03:44 AM

Thanks all for your responses. Much appreciated.

houser: to answer your question, its a circular, 4 curved screen about 21m in diameter. The speakers (8 x QSC K12s) are mounted above, 2 per screen (just coz thats the best way to evenly space them). So 1 soundfield, 4 screens. Basically a 360 immersive environment.

reichman: Thanks for that tip. I had thought there might be a chance I could pan with the LFE as the 8th channel. alas....

RecRoom: GRM! Yes - good call, I'll look into it.

In general most of the things I've looked into lead me down a path that is either waaaaaaay too much for what I need (binaural, Dolby Atmos etc) or miss the point completely (up-mixing for example).

The closest I've come is XY Nodes, a plug in Max4Live. But as yet I haven't been able to upgrade Ableton and get the M4L feature ($$$)

So annoying. I understand there may be complexity in matrixing but surely there's a simple plug out there that works across platforms and simply maps your desired sound object path to a desired speaker array.....
Old 11-10-2016, 04:51 AM

G R M SPACES!!!!

So versatile, so many options, including the exact option I WANT!!!

Haven't used it yet of course, but it looks sooo promising.

Muchos gracias