Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 10-06-2019, 01:46 PM

Default so happy i did not update my PT ...

so happy i did not update my PT ... i see there is still no further update ... makes me feel a little better about not continuing ...

once i see a major change in bahavior from DIVA i will consider coming back ...

2019-10 has not happened yet ... i hope for all those that have remained get an update soon ... and a good one not just because A is obligated to put one out !!

cheers john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 10-06-2019, 02:09 PM

Default Re: so happy i did not update my PT ...

Theyre not 'obligated' to do anything now. Once they go SaaS , YOU are paying to 'RENT' the software, AS IS. this is the critical salient point......AS IS......
if they decide to update or fix anything, nice, but whatever happens, meh .....its a slippery slope, but its an economic model that has come into being for financial reasons. I dont wholly disagree with it, but as a super high end professional with serious mission critical deadlines, i solved the dilema by fixing a paid for version on a fixed paid for mac. super stable, does EXACTLY what i and MORE IMPORTANTLY my paying clients love. i dont need or want a new stupid synthesizer, or 3gig of useless loops for teenagers. if i wanted that stuff id buy go buy it myself. its juicier for them to release stuff that apeeals to DJ's and has advertising 'fluff' .......the rest is MATURE technology they dont need to spend time on anymore, it doesnt sell subscriptions, fancy schmanzy green glowing synths do, they gotta keep fluffing......fixing things is cool, but they gotta make it snazzy!!! its just a business model......back to work now...
Old 10-06-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kirk View Post
Theyre not 'obligated' to do anything now. Once they go SaaS , YOU are paying to 'RENT' the software, AS IS. this is the critical salient point......AS IS......
if they decide to update or fix anything, nice, but whatever happens, meh .....its a slippery slope, but its an economic model that has come into being for financial reasons. I dont wholly disagree with it, but as a super high end professional with serious mission critical deadlines, i solved the dilema by fixing a paid for version on a fixed paid for mac. super stable, does EXACTLY what i and MORE IMPORTANTLY my paying clients love. i dont need or want a new stupid synthesizer, or 3gig of useless loops for teenagers. if i wanted that stuff id buy go buy it myself. its juicier for them to release stuff that apeeals to DJ's and has advertising 'fluff' .......the rest is MATURE technology they dont need to spend time on anymore, it doesnt sell subscriptions, fancy schmanzy green glowing synths do, they gotta keep fluffing......fixing things is cool, but they gotta make it snazzy!!! its just a business model......back to work now...
Sad but very realistic
Old 10-07-2019, 12:42 AM

Not entirely true. The initial marketing of the subscription plan promised regular and significant upgrades. As part of that marketing they insisted that the subscription plan allowed them to put out upgrades on a more timely basis, rather than waiting long periods for a major release.

To say they have no obligation to provide upgrades may be true from a licensing perspective, but not doing so breaks marketing promises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kirk View Post
Old 10-07-2019, 02:58 AM

This next update (we'll surely get one this month..surely!!) will determine whether or not I keep the subscription going in December..
All this added stuff while you have a valid subscription (falcon etc) doesn't appeal to me..I won't even install it if it's going to be taken off me as soon as the subscription is up..
I dunno to be honest what I'm expecting..I'm somewhat underwhelmed by the years subscription..
Old 10-07-2019, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqd View Post
This next update (we'll surely get one this month..surely!!) will determine whether or not I keep the subscription going in December..
All this added stuff while you have a valid subscription (falcon etc) doesn't appeal to me..I won't even install it if it's going to be taken off me as soon as the subscription is up..
I dunno to be honest what I'm expecting..I'm somewhat underwhelmed by the years subscription..
I liked getting Falcon as part of my upgrade from PT 11.3.2 to 2019.6. You see UVI is one of the few developers that doesn't have a demo of their product and at $395 full price for Falcon that's a huge chunk of change to drop on something that one may not like.

QAPLA!
Old 10-07-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
Not entirely true. The initial marketing of the subscription plan promised regular and significant upgrades. As part of that marketing they insisted that the subscription plan allowed them to put out upgrades on a more timely basis, rather than waiting long periods for a major release.

To say they have no obligation to provide upgrades may be true from a licensing perspective, but not doing so breaks marketing promises.
THx Kirk .. not sure this is correct .. would need to look at Adobe to see how they might be obligated to bug fixes, updates, and new features for their subscription ..

if this is the same Kirk (captain maybe) then we had a nice conversation about 5k priced microphones on another forum ... again good to hear your opinion and facts !!

Hi Dean ... this is what i remember as well ... seems just like yesterday when we would hear about new features coming in the next update !! and fixes to go along with them ... now it is boring to say it bluntly ... not much communication, barely an update per quarter .. and old issues seem to be popping up again for some folks !!

end of monday morning QB'ing ..

cheers john

cheers john

Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 10-07-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
THx Kirk .. not sure this is correct .. would need to look at Adobe to see how they might be obligated to bug fixes, updates, and new features for their subscription ..

if this is the same Kirk (captain maybe) then we had a nice conversation about 5k priced microphones on another forum ... again good to hear your opinion and facts !!

Hi Dean ... this is what i remember as well ... seems just like yesterday when we would hear about new features coming in the next update !! and fixes to go along with them ... now it is boring to say it bluntly ... not much communication, barely an update per quarter .. and old issues seem to be popping up again for some folks !!

cheers john

cheers john
Unlike AVID, Adobe has a reasonable pricing model. 10 or 15 a month for PT is doable. 30+ for software that doesn't get updated is a friggen joke. Somebody at AVID clearly doesn't understand the micropayment model of lower prices resulting in MORE subscriptions. AVID: "Extorting Existing Customer Base = More Profit!". Oh well. If you start a software company, you at least have a model for how NOT to create a software pricing scheme.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnjlee View Post
Unlike AVID, Adobe has a reasonable pricing model.
Fully Agreed !!

Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 10-07-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post

cheers john

cheers john
Unlike AVID, Adobe has a reasonable pricing model.