Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 05:49 PM

Default Compressor plugs: McDSP Compressorbank LE and UAD1

McDSP are now offering a cut-down version of Compressorbank, Compressorbank LE , which consists of just one component of the full version of Compressorbank… the LE version is CB4 ONLY .

Just wondering if anyone has compared the CB4 emulations of the 1176, LA2A, Fairchild 670, Neve 33609C, dbx 165 etc to their counterparts on the UAD1 card and/or the hardware units themselves?

I know that people are excited by the new URS comp plugs however I get the impression these are primarily buss compressors…. I’m looking for convincing emulations of the classics for use on individual tracks, especially LA2A for vocals and bass, Fairchild for drums, 1176 for drums, vocals, mix buss.... OK, everything.

BTW, I’m considering Compressorbank LE instead of the UAD1 card due to the massive price differential ($267 AU versus $1698 AU for the UAD1 Studio Pack). I realize that the UAD1 card offers DSP processing in addition to the plugs, however I’ve got a well-spec’d system therefore resources are (hopefully) not an issue.

Cheers all.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:22 PM

Default Re: Compressor plugs: McDSP Compressorbank LE and UAD1

Hey,

I have been researching this exact question for weeks now. I have tried the URS and the MDSP stuff. There is now real way to try the UAD without getting it. Long story short...you get what you pay for. I bought the UAD-1 blind knowing about the latency and other issues. I just tried everthing out today and for me the search is over.

The UAD-1 stuff is incredible. . No time soon will I be able to get to use the hardware that these plugs emulate...but I am confident that I can produce high quality work with the UAD plugs I have. Best ompressors and a great pultec. hope this helps