Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-12-2017, 01:12 AM

Default I went back to Pro Tools 10 HD Accel in 2017

I mix music for a living. Mostly live genres like rock, metal, sometimes jazz, etc.

When Pro Tools 10 HD was first released I sold my Accel system and I bought HD Native. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Waves made it clear they wouldn't make AAX DSP plugins so HDX didn't seem like the way to go. It was ok most of the time. I was never too excited by the lack of offline bounce so I didn't care for Pro Tools 11. I moved to 12 because of some I/O Setup enhancements and commit feature which I used quite often for a few months.

But 5 years after ditching HD TDM platform it stroke me that my workflow didn't change much, new features didn't bring considerable improvements to my work.

In all honesty Pro Tools 7.4 has already had almost all features I needed. So I reverted back to a Mac Pro 1,1 with Magma Expansion and HD Accel PCI system. I mixed and album on it and it was fine, so I decided to install 10 HD on this rig and I have been using it already for almost 5 months, having mixed around 5 albums - 60 or 70 songs.

So here I am with Pro Tools 10 HD6 Accel with a Mac Pro 1,1 and OSX Lion.

Lower latencies, Waves TDM plugins and predictable DSP power which actually helps a lot when I use Pro Tools and some other applications at the same time, mean much more to me than the most powerful native system with 12.x software.

I've never been happier with a Pro Tools rig.
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).