Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 07-30-2009, 06:43 PM

Default Control 24 Fader Freezes

This only happens every now and then... one fader will freeze in whatever position is was last in... I can move it with my mouse but it does'nt want to move when I grab it... sometimes I can close out the session, open it back up and it works fine, or sometimes it happens on the same fader with a different session... any thoughts?
Old 08-22-2010, 01:59 AM

Default Re: C24 Fader Freezes

This will probably work the C-24 as well:

I had the same problem too. Here is what I found out after a few experiments.
1) Always turn the Control 24 on first. Then 192 I/O (or what ever else you are using), and lastly turn on your computer to boot up. Should stop the All lights mode.

2) Another thing I found was: Do you have any Faders that lock up and won't respond when you touch them? Or, slowly creep or crawl up by themselves? If so, with the Control 24 turned off, gentle pull the Fader finger caps off of the Fader slider rail exposing the metal slide rail of the Fader that is acting up. Spray the Finger cap off that you removed with some windex (top and bottem) to clean any finger oils or grim off so it will make good contact with your finger's touch. Dry them off very well. Then, take a pocket knife and very, very gentle scrape the metal part of the Fader slider rail top, the top corners, and sides(not the Fader finger cap that you popped off the Fader slide rails) that the Finger caps ride on in order to make good contact with the Fader finger caps. Don't over scrape them, just enough to get them shiney.
Before you put the Fader finger caps back on, use vacuum cleaner with a hose attachment and vacuum the fader where you scraped the Fader slide rail to remove any particles and debris that might have fallen down into the fader slide groove. Do not move the fader back and forth until you vacuumed it out well. You don't want to work any grit down into the fader groove. After you are done vacuum and cleaning, put the cleaned fader finger caps back on the Fader slide rail. Boot your system back up and test it to see if it got better and resolved the problem. It worked great for me.
Apparently the Fader slide rails lose contact between the Fader slide rails and the finger caps causing some sort of electrical contact failure in a very micro scale manner. The Control 24 system must be sensitive enough to recognized the mini voltage changes that occur between the Fader slide rails and the Fader finger caps. Go figure.
3) Good luck! Let me know if this worked for you. If does, it is a very simple solution to an annoying problem.