Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2013, 05:26 AM

Default Re: Can't monitor unprocessed signals with Eleven Rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevisi0nary View Post
Yeah clearly you don't understand what I'm saying if you're asking me about the drivers. I want to use it as a normal interface without hearing the tones the 11 rack makes.
That's easy to do. When you setup your track in whatever daw software you are using select the guitar input and not the 11 Rack rig output which is what it sounds like you're are doing. I and others are doing inside PT fairly regular - for me there are times I want to use Guitar Rig 5 instead of the 11R tones so I select the guitar input which the 11 Rack exposes to PT) which gives me the tone right from the guitar, into an aux track which has, if I want it, GR5 as an insert. And when I go to listen back to that track all I get is whatever tone is one the track from GR5 and no rig out tones from the 11R.

QAPLA!
Old 06-18-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Yeah clearly you don't understand what I'm saying if you're asking me about the drivers. I want to use it as a normal interface without hearing the tones the 11 rack makes.
I don't mean to argue but this statement doesn't make any sense because if you want to use the Eleven Rack as an interface that clearly means that you will be using its driver. Interface = using software drivers. So are you sure you want to use it as interface?

Nevertheless to get what you're after in FL studio here's what you need to do:

1-IN FL audio options chose "Eleven RAck ASio" and choose software monitoring
2-Enable two separate audio tracks
3-ON the first track input options choose something that says" ELeven Reamp"***
4-On the second audio track choose for input choose: "Eleven Rig L+R if stereo or L or RIgh if your track is mono.

Now you can toggle between both tracks and keep the one you want to use enabled. SO if you want to hear Guitar Rig, add the plugin to the first track for reamping because that's you're dry track.
Remember to accomplish this, you might really need to read about setting up the output options in your eleven RACK by consulting the manual. It's not complex at all, if you use FL you should be able to figure things out relatively quickly and if you need help, post about your setup and connection and I'm sure many will help you here.

*** you accomplish this by Setting up Eleven Hardware option : Rig Input needs to be set to Reamp and your first track or dry track should be MONO with it's output option set to Re-amp.

Last edited by Deansy; 06-20-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Ill explain my dilemma as detailed as possible.
Okay for starters lets take pro tools totally out of the equation.
Lets say im using a regular interface,
i load up fl studio, change the input to my interface, load it onto a channel. I am playing and hearing unprocessed raw signals, nothing else only dry stuff. This is important because i track guitars before going to the studio, i dont focus on getting proper tones or anything i just want to lay the tracks down and save money. But okay, so we are still totally dry at this point. Now just to get a feel for what im doing, ill load guitar rig vst onto the audio track so i can play with a tone while tracking but be able to remove it when i am done to give to my producer.

Now here is why i cant do this with eleven rack,
so i go to start up fl normally, select it as my interface, right off the bat i am hearing back the processed tones of the 11 rack, there is no way to hear ONLY the dry signal at all times. I cant use it solely as an interface without always hearing the 11 rack tones back when i play. When i record this way, i can get the dry signal i want, but if i want to hear it played back with a tone over it i have to load up guitar rig, since there is no 11 rack plug in outside of pro tools. When i do this, now im hearing both the eleven rack tones AND the guitar rig tones because i cant monitor the 11 rack's unprocessed signal.

Granted i bought this rack for when im going to be playing shows, but it serves no purpose now as an interface because theres no normal way of just tracking an unprocessed signal. I love the 11 tones its got nothing to do with that but its not AT all practical when there is no plug in working in sync with it like in protools.
I think you need to open the manual and read through it if you have not done so.

Everything you describe is easily do-able. I do it all the time it Pro Tools or with another DAW or another standalone app.

There are a few ways to do this. As some have suggested, you can simply bypass everything in the rig. I usually just use the VOLUME pedal on the 11R and turn it ALL the way down, that way you are not getting ANY processed sound from the RIG. You can still use the Guitar Input.

Is the 11R the only interface you are using or are you using another interface in conjunction?

You keep mentioning that you want to have a dry track to take to the studio, so you use Guitar Rig. This is do-able as I have already mentioned. But why not use the 11R? The 11R can record the DRY guitar and the processed sound at the same time, and you won't have the latency that you get with software based sims.

What DAW are you using exactly, the process is different between PT and other DAWs.

Have you installed the 11R drivers? If you are wanting to use it as an interface, they have to be installed.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/d...n-Rack-Drivers

Quote:
I cant use it solely as an interface without always hearing the 11 rack tones back when i play. When i record this way, i can get the dry signal i want, but if i want to hear it played back with a tone over it i have to load up guitar rig, since there is no 11 rack plug in outside of pro tools. When i do this, now im hearing both the eleven rack tones AND the guitar rig tones because i cant monitor the 11 rack's unprocessed signal.
I don't understand this. You can use the 11R as an interface and just hear the sounds you from another daw, be they Drum VI, Synths, Audio, Guitar ect...
How are you routing things?

I think you have a mis-conception about the 11R. The 11R is hardware. The window you see on screen is NOT a plugin. You don't need it to change any settings, you can do this right from the front panel of the 11R. All processing is done in the 11R. The on-screen editor is just that, an editor, it does not produce any sound, or anything else, it just lets you control the 11R with a mouse.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 06-18-2013, 03:25 PM

Perhaps you'll find something useful here:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Rec.../ba-p/34634585