Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 12:14 PM

Default Latency/Delay Compensation and Rosetta 200

I know there have been many discussions on this topic... I did a search, but am still confused.

I am running LE 6.9 using an 002rack. I plan on buying Pro Tools LE 7. I have a Rosetta 200 hooked up. I am only recording guitars... using an external preamp... into the Rosetta. I use no plug-ins when recording and will do no mixing at home. So, I'm only recording guitars over our already recorded drums and bass tracks (recorded in a "real studio"). I have my monitors hooked up to the Rosetta. I record at 48kz, 24-bit. I use low latency monitoring, generally recording at 128kz and sometimes 64kz (by the way... does the kz matter if I am using low latency monitoring?).

Using this scenario, is latency an issue for me at all? Even if it is a little, then I prefer to nudge tracks to get them more precise for a better feel.

Can someone please walk me through precisely what I need to do to compensate for latency, so that my guitar tracks are where they should be relative to the drums and bass? Will the procedure change with Pro Tools LE 7?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Ken K.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:43 AM

Default Re: Latency/Delay Compensation and Rosetta 200

Anyone?

Ken K.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:26 AM

Your questions in general are confused.
Go back and do some reading on buffer size 64/128.....etc, it is not frequency so it not Khz, a better understanding of that alone should help you.
Read up in the manual on what Low Latency Mode does and how it works.
Then after you do that do the most important thing listen to the tracks to see if you hear misaligned tracks (assuming that it not related to you ability to play) you will hear if the tracks are aligned or not.

What was it that caused you to think that you had a problem?
Old 10-20-2005, 01:43 PM

A2D D2A -

The "kz" was a typo. I do have a basic understanding of how the sample rate affects latency. I have read the low latency section several times. The problem is that I am new to all of this and am trying to learn a lot at one time.

As to what prompted the question... I have seen a lot of discussion about Pro Tools LE not having latency compensation. I am trying to get my arms around whether this is an issue for me with the Rosetta. It seemed that this issue applies to third-party plug-ins but also to external hardware, such as an AD convertor? So that my tracks would be printed a little off from when they were actually recorded?

If this is the case and if there is a specific way to realign (for example, by nudging a particular amount), that would help me considerably.

I hope that is more clear.

Ken K.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:47 PM

Oops... did it again... I meant "buffer size"
Old 10-20-2005, 01:59 PM

Using Low Latency mode, the buffer size doesn't affect the monitoring latency.

On latency compensation -
- ProTools LE DOES do latency compensation; it automatically adjusts for the latency caused by the H/W buffer (and possibly that caused by the converters.) There have been some versions of ProTools LE which didn't get it quite right, but I'm pretty sure it should be correct for all interfaces on the current version.

- ProTools LE DOES NOT do 'audomatic delay compensation' for those plugins which introduce some delay. This is the thing that users are screaming for.

Old 10-20-2005, 02:11 PM

Tele -

Thanks. I had the impression that the latency compensation for the converters would only apply to the Digi 002 internal converters... but not to an external converter. Do you know if that is true? If so, then I am wondering if I need to compensate for the Rosetta in some way and how to do it.

Thanks again.

Ken K.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:29 PM

I haven't used an external converter in quite a while (and, in fact, don't currently own a ProTools setup), but it's easy for you to test it yourself. Even if they don't compensate for the converter latency, they still compensate for the latency caused by the H/W buffer.

To test:
- create an audio track, with a single transient on it, like a pencil tapped on the table.
- cable the output from that track to the input on another audio track, then record the second track.

Zoom in on both tracks, and check if the transient lines up on both. Perform the same test, at different buffer sizes, see if it changes. Try it using the builtin converters, and with the Rosetta. With this methodology, you'll know all you need to know about converter and buffer latency compensation.

Old 10-20-2005, 03:15 PM

Tele -

Great.... thanks very much. I'll try this and this should tell me everything I need to know.

I really appreciate the response.

Ken K.