Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2014, 10:27 PM

Default Melodyne sends CPU into tailspin

Anyone else having issues with Melodyne, where in certain sessions, either instantiating, or simply moving an existing instance of Melodyne to a different track causes the CPU (total bar in System usage window) to spike to 100%, rendering the session unusable? Cpu bar essential bounces from 0% to 100% perpetually.

If I simply close the session and re-open it, Protools will still spike the same, even if I open in safe mode (all plugins inactive). Only way to correct the problem is to quit Protools and relaunch.

I have plenty of sessions where Melodyne is working fine, just a few heavy VI writing sessions, where its totally choking the system. Can't seem to find out if its an interaction with another plugin. Anyone seen this?

Forrester

PT11.2.1, HDX2, OS10.9.3, Melodyne 2.1.2 b2
Old 11-17-2014, 12:04 AM

Default Re: Melodyne sends CPU into tailspin

Melodyne is pretty robust in my opinion and they keep top of any bugs.

Have you other plugs on the vocal chain(s)? Try removing those first.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 11-17-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bond View Post
Melodyne is pretty robust in my opinion and they keep top of any bugs.

Have you other plugs on the vocal chain(s)? Try removing those first.

Stephen
Thanks Stephen, agreed its been great until now. As mentioned have plenty of happy working experiences with Melodyne.

It happens wherever I instantiate Melodyne in this session, so its irrelevant to the particular track's plugin chain. I have heaps of plugins happening due to it being a writing/mixing session. Have yet to sit down and go through the process of removing plugins from my plugin folder to whittle it down till I find the culprit combination, if there even is one.

Just at the "anyone else go this issue stage". It might provide insight and save time, is all.

Forrester
Old 11-17-2014, 01:12 PM

And before you try removing plugin files, try trashing preferences.

If it is only happening to this one session it may be corrupt.

Be careful of plugins and denomalization bugs (you can search for that on DUC). With plugins known to have this problem (like Sansamp and others) and especially with them at yhe lead of a chain of plugins (where they see digital zero/very low levels and start thrashing the CPU).
Old 11-17-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
And before you try removing plugin files, try trashing preferences.

If it is only happening to this one session it may be corrupt.

Be careful of plugins and denomalization bugs (you can search for that on DUC). With plugins known to have this problem (like Sansamp and others) and especially with them at yhe lead of a chain of plugins (where they see digital zero/very low levels and start thrashing the CPU).
Thanks Darryl. Too late , already spent an hour pulling out plugins and slowly putting them back in. Just trashed all prefs and still have the same issue. It happens on a few sessions, heavy in VI's. Know about the denormalization issue too, but haven't really encountered that as far as I can tell.

So my findings from isolating the plugins folder is inconclusive. Started with no plugs (except the default + Melodyne) and had no issues. Slowly added plugins and found that when I added the Arturia V-Collection folder, the issue with Melodyne occurred. However, if I removed all plugins back to just Melodyne and Arturia, everything works OK. So then I started adding plugins again, and at around three quarters of the list the issue pops up again. I then removed the last bunch of plugins I just added, but still have the issue? Remove the Arturia folder and boom, issue is fixed.
So rather than point the finger at Arturia, I would suggest its memory usage related, ie. when I have lots of plugins happening (irrelevant of manufacturer) the memory usage ticks over to a certain amount, which causes Melodyne to overdrive the CPU. Thats my theory anyway. Basically its not as simple as a single plugin combination in the plugins folder causing the issue.

Have contacted Celemony, still waiting to hear from them.

Forrester
Old 11-17-2014, 04:25 PM

Started with no plugs (except the default + Melodyne)

What is "the default"?
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 11-17-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post

What is "the default"?
I believe he means the plug-ins that come standard (free) with Pro Tools.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-17-2014, 05:53 PM

Oh well, you would not be be the first person to find CPU burn issues with recent Arturia plugins.

As you pull plugins out, it seems that it can very occasionally matter that you trash prefs after doing that. You might want to try doing that.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post

What is "the default"?
Default plugs are the ones PT11 installs automatically when you remove everything from the AAX folder.

So have found that if I remove the Native Instruments folder, or Arturia, it will fix the issue. So again its definitely not plugin specific. As i'm using 5 or so instances of Battery & Guitar Rig, and 2 or 3 Arturia synths, I can only put it down to a memory usage problem, as when I remove one of those VI's plugins, Melodyne works as expected.

Hopefully Celemony can investigate.

Forrester
Old 11-18-2014, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Oh well, you would not be be the first person to find CPU burn issues with recent Arturia plugins.

As you pull plugins out, it seems that it can very occasionally matter that you trash prefs after doing that. You might want to try doing that.
I have always had problems with Auturia plugs. Fantastic sounding but even as AU using VEP5 they crash. Just one of those companies that never got it right. I just deleted all of them from my system a while back. Too bad.

BTW - I've recently run 20 instances of Melodyne Editor at once without a single issue. Even did the transfer to each instance from each track at one time. Barely moved the CPU meter.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.