Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2012, 01:42 PM

Default Pro Tools 10 Video Playback Bug When Dragging Files From Workspace

Hopefully someone out there might be able to shed some light on an annoying bug that I can't seem to figure out... I recently upgraded to a newer MacBook Pro and am now using Lion 10.7.3 coming from Snow Leopard. I didn't have this issue on my old system so I'm wondering if it's a bug that is specific to Pro Tools 10 and Lion (I'm also running PT 10.2.0).

When I edit sound fx for post audio projects I like to use the workspace window to audition sounds and drag the files to my timeline. I seem to be encountering the bug with my QuickTime playback when working on longer video files (i.e. the last 2 feature films I've worked on). In both cases it's happened when I've been working in the later parts of the films (past the one hour point of each film). Basically the issue occurs when I import audio by dragging files from the workspace, the video will get screwed up and play the QuickTime from a completely different point in the film. I can import audio form the "Import Audio" window and it doesn't affect the QuickTime but I prefer to use the workspace for speed and efficiency in my workflow.

I realize that probably sounds confusing when you read it so I'll explain using an example... let's say I'm adding some sounds at 02:28:14:06, when I drag files in from workspace the video will glitch and start playing back at 01:22:28:08 even though the playhead will be at 02:28:14:06 and the QuickTime File hasn't moved on the timeline either. When I scrub through the video earlier than where the QuickTime glitch occurs on my timeline it plays fine. Then it will hit the "glitch" point and the Quicktime will loop back to the beginning of the film and continue playing. In this example, the magic "glitch" point in the Pro Tools timeline is at 02:05:46:15 where the video loops back to the beginning of the file and continues playing while the playhead continues on from 02:05:46:15. The video will remain this way until I close the session and re-open it.

Hopefully I haven't confused the crap out of anyone reading this post, I know it can be difficult to explain things only in writing when you can't actually see the issue in person.

I've tried "save session copy in" and removing and re-importing the QuickTime but with no success. The problem also happened in an older version of Pro Tools 10 and I tried to see if 10.2.0 would fix it but it hasn't. It's extremely frustrating only being able to use the "Import Audio" window because it slows down my workflow so I'm hoping there's some sort of solution to the issue I just don't know about. I've also scoured the DUC and online communities looking for anyone who has the same problem but I haven't found anything.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Is there something I'm missing? Hopefully someone out there can point me in the right direction to fix the problem.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 Video Playback Bug When Dragging Files From Workspace

I've always had problem with the workspace, so I'm currently using finder(Mac OS) and Snapper from audioease. This has the advantage that I can select and import ONLY the part of the file I want, AND finders lightning fast search function..

Not trying to advocate for Snapper here, but it really is a nice tool, and affordable to. They are also very good on support. I asked them if they could include markers, for comparing different wild tracks inside the same file before exporting, and the guy replied within minutes and said they could very easily do this and they would very soon.

I'm aware that this might not help you resolve your issue, just trying to give you a workaround. In my opinion it is so much faster as well. Snapper also reads bwav, caf, mp3 and so on, and also shows all file description including tags and so on.

Mac Pro 4,1 32GB RAM(10.6.8)
Euphonix MC Control, MC Mix

Pro Tools 10.2
Old 09-13-2012, 05:54 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, I actually came across Snapper not too long ago and was curious if it would be useful for me.

So I downloaded the demo to check it out, low and behold the problem still exists even with dragging files from the Finder too. I saw that Pro Tools 10.3 was just released today... I'm always hesitant to upgrade until I check out the feedback from people on stability but I'm pretty desperate to fix this issue. I have a FX edit due end of next week and this issue is a real pain in the arse!

I appreciate your input though, I'll let you know what happens...
Universal Audio Apollo Quad & Digi 002R
Euphonix MC Mix (the older silver version)
Old 09-16-2012, 06:25 PM

You are not alone. It's not your rig, either.

PT 10.2, Lion 10.7.4, 12-core Mac Pro.

When pulling in effects from the Workspace Browser, the video track isn't changed or moved, yet when I hit play the video is playing from a completely different spot.

I have tried a few experiments and found that it will even pick a random spot and jump back to the beginning of the film. This is truly a pain as each time I have to save the project, close, and re-open the project when adding a single sound effect.

I'll be waiting for a response on how to fix this, also. I'm doing this on a demo version and not sure I want to do the upgrade with this issue.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGratto View Post
Hopefully someone out there might be able to shed some light on an annoying bug that I can't seem to figure out... I recently upgraded to a newer MacBook Pro and am now using Lion 10.7.3 coming from Snow Leopard. I didn't have this issue on my old system so I'm wondering if it's a bug that is specific to Pro Tools 10 and Lion (I'm also running PT 10.2.0).

When I edit sound fx for post audio projects I like to use the workspace window to audition sounds and drag the files to my timeline. I seem to be encountering the bug with my QuickTime playback when working on longer video files (i.e. the last 2 feature films I've worked on). In both cases it's happened when I've been working in the later parts of the films (past the one hour point of each film). Basically the issue occurs when I import audio by dragging files from the workspace, the video will get screwed up and play the QuickTime from a completely different point in the film. I can import audio form the "Import Audio" window and it doesn't affect the QuickTime but I prefer to use the workspace for speed and efficiency in my workflow.

I realize that probably sounds confusing when you read it so I'll explain using an example... let's say I'm adding some sounds at 02:28:14:06, when I drag files in from workspace the video will glitch and start playing back at 01:22:28:08 even though the playhead will be at 02:28:14:06 and the QuickTime File hasn't moved on the timeline either. When I scrub through the video earlier than where the QuickTime glitch occurs on my timeline it plays fine. Then it will hit the "glitch" point and the Quicktime will loop back to the beginning of the film and continue playing. In this example, the magic "glitch" point in the Pro Tools timeline is at 02:05:46:15 where the video loops back to the beginning of the file and continues playing while the playhead continues on from 02:05:46:15. The video will remain this way until I close the session and re-open it.

Hopefully I haven't confused the crap out of anyone reading this post, I know it can be difficult to explain things only in writing when you can't actually see the issue in person.

I've tried "save session copy in" and removing and re-importing the QuickTime but with no success. The problem also happened in an older version of Pro Tools 10 and I tried to see if 10.2.0 would fix it but it hasn't. It's extremely frustrating only being able to use the "Import Audio" window because it slows down my workflow so I'm hoping there's some sort of solution to the issue I just don't know about. I've also scoured the DUC and online communities looking for anyone who has the same problem but I haven't found anything.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Is there something I'm missing? Hopefully someone out there can point me in the right direction to fix the problem.
I have the same problem with 20 min reels that i work with. My only work around seems to be going to the part of the video where it restarts and cutting it using the B button. It doesnt happen anymore once you cut it near the re-starting point
Old 10-29-2012, 06:57 PM

I wanted to find the document I read it in to quote directly, but I can't find it. I think it was the readme, but I did a quick search through it and didn't find it easily. I know I read this in one of the documents, though.

I am unsure of the exact length, but Pro Tools has issues with videos that are really long (I think maybe an hour or so??). I also don't remember whether this affects only videos that are certain codecs either. I do remember that when I ran into this issue, I was using an H.264 video.

With quicktime movies over a certain length, once you reach that spot in the video, it starts the video over as though you were playing it from the beginning. Meaning, your video will go up to 01:00:00:00 in length, but at Pro Tools time 01:00:00:01, you are looking at video time 00:00:00:01 (if one hour is the length).
Old 10-29-2012, 07:42 PM

i worked with about 50 plus episodes, using workspace and dragging hundreds of clips off it , to the timeline, and never once had an issue. i'm using QT hi res at 24/48khz, with avergae QT running around 22 to 24 minutes ....BTW i'm still running 10.6.8 snow leopard and don't seem to have any of the problems people are complaining about...
Old 07-09-2013, 04:21 PM

Thought I would chime in. I am getting this same thing on PT9 CPTK. Have never seen this until this specific project. 42 min show QT ProRes.

Every time I drag a new sound in past reel 5, it displays the begginning of the film onwards from the point i drag the sound in.

Happens from finder, workspace, snapper and audiofinder very frustrating

Have to close and re-open the session every time I drag a clip in to fix it
Old 10-10-2013, 10:18 AM

I'm having the exact same issue that's being described. Any breakthroughs for anyone? I'm not running HD, and I don't have CPTK, so cutting the video isn't an option for me. I really don't want to have to change my workflow if I don't have to.

Edit: Found the issue. "At a certain point during playback, an H.264 video file over 2GB in size will incorrectly restart playback from the beginning, even though the timeline indicates it is not playing from the beginning. The workaround is to place an edit (break) in the video clip prior to the point it starts playing incorrectly from the beginning. This issue only affects H.264 files larger than 2GB." from http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor..._Mac_78009.pdf

Sorry! Should have searched for longer. Still an annoying bug though. So this is still a problem in 11?