Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2010, 02:52 PM

Default JoeMeek ThreeQ Preamp through MBox 2?

I'm looking to purchase the JoeMeek ThreeQ mic preamp for my DAW. I've heard that the only way to completely bypass the pre's in the MBox is to go into the MBox using S/PDIF. I don't think the ThreeQ has such an output. Are there any other ways to bypass the pre's in the MBox if I was to purchase the ThreeQ?

Thanks,

Broc
~William P. Merrill
Old 06-16-2010, 04:53 PM

Default Re: JoeMeek ThreeQ Preamp through MBox 2?

I know the Twin Q has a S/PDIF out, (I have one) and it may even make more sense. Not sure about the Three Q, shouldn't be that hard to check out the back.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:20 PM

There 's no output for S/PDIF, but I wanted to work around that possibly?

Broc
~William P. Merrill
Old 06-16-2010, 06:17 PM

Okay, checked it out for you, first of all you do know it's 1 channel, correct? The 3Q stands for compress, Eq, and mic pre. And no, it does not have digital outputs. There is not a lot of quality pre's for $250 but you may find something like an Art or Behringer w/2 channels and a S/PDIF out. The twinQ like I suggested, is a nice piece but up there in price. You may find a used one for around $500.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:52 PM

2 things to think about. With a USB Mbox(all except the "PRO" version) the SPDIF port is not auditioned with the MIX knob. This means you MUST have a computer potent enough to record at the lowest buffer setting(probably 128). The other thing is; if you do use an external preamp without SPDIF, the best you can do is go in with a TRS cable(TRS into the Mbox line input) and bypass a gain stage. That doesn't truly bypass the Mbox pre, but its as close as you can get without SPDIF(and it should retain the character of the external preamp well enough). Personally, I would spend the cash on other things like maybe a great microphone or some good acoustic treatments for the room, or maybe a ice bundle of plugins. Okay I guess that was 3 thing to think about

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-16-2010, 09:14 PM

Cool Re: JoeMeek ThreeQ Preamp through MBox 2?

Thanks for all the replies guys! I previously had an ART Digital MPA II. Started immediately having problems with it. The blue light that illuminates to show that the digital out is working begins to blink when I switch the clock source to S/PDIF in Pro Tools; then it begins to make a ticking sound and the blue light goes away. I made sure I had the correct dither/sample rate the same as in Pro Tools so that's not the culprit. Overall I'm dissatisfied with problems right out of the box. So I was looking to try another preamp. The JoeMeek ThreeQ seemed like a great addition to my DAW considering all the reviews I've read about it performing exceptionally well for it's price range. I need a nice mid-grade pre, one that can work with an MBox 2 to bring that warmth and character to vocals mainly. Didn't want to spend over $400, about what the Digital MPA II costs. Thought it was a neat little channel strip/preamp to use for my projects. Guess I'll research a little more and see what I can find.

Thanks,

Broc
~William P. Merrill
Old 06-16-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPimp3069 View Post
Thanks for all the replies guys! I previously had an ART Digital MPA II. Started immediately having problems with it. The blue light that illuminates to show that the digital out is working begins to blink when I switch the clock source to S/PDIF in Pro Tools; then it begins to make a ticking sound and the blue light goes away. I made sure I had the correct dither/sample rate the same as in Pro Tools so that's not the culprit. Overall I'm dissatisfied with problems right out of the box. So I was looking to try another preamp. The JoeMeek ThreeQ seemed like a great addition to my DAW considering all the reviews I've read about it performing exceptionally well for it's price range. I need a nice mid-grade pre, one that can work with an MBox 2 to bring that warmth and character to vocals mainly. Didn't want to spend over $400, about what the Digital MPA II costs. Thought it was a neat little channel strip/preamp to use for my projects. Guess I'll research a little more and see what I can find.

Thanks,

Broc
When using external digital gear, you have to set Pro Tools clock source to S/PDIF or else you will continue to get clicks and pops... cheap gear or otherwise.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 06-16-2010, 11:04 PM

I have already switched the clock source in Pro Tools to S/PDIF. I did that when I first hooked up the Preamp. Still experiencing clicks and pops, or it won't work at all.
~William P. Merrill
Old 06-16-2010, 11:26 PM

I don't understand, you don't even have an external source yet do you? If so what are you using now? This could be your problem.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:04 AM

I thought the ART Digital MPA II was the clock source? Do I need to have a separate external clock source by itself as well? I don't understand either.

Broc
~William P. Merrill