Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2003, 12:13 PM

Default Drum sampler - Hardware or Software?

I am just getting into the wide world of midi recording and borrowed a friends Alesis D4. I have always tried to track real drums myself, using a beat up old kit and my lack of skills on the drums. Sufficient to say my results are less than desirable.

What I am looking for is something comparable to the D4. ( it's old I know but I like it ) I have downloaded the Sampletank Demo and I do like having everything I need "in the box". I don't need state of the art, just something ( not to pricey )to get the basic parts down. I don't currently have a midi controller and I will need to get one soon. Maybe something like the Midiman Oxygen8?? http://www.midiman.net/products/midiman/oxygen8.php

Any suggestions as to which combination of controller and sampler/drum module would most economical and versatile at the same time? Hardware or Software? What are you using?

blizzard

Macbook Pro Retina / 2.8GHZ / 512GB SSD / PT 2023.9
Old 09-14-2003, 03:34 AM

Default Re: Drum sampler - Hardware or Software?

For Midi(Drum) programing I use Battery with Cubase since PT does not yet have VST support.
It is very nice drum machine and you can import any kind of sample in it.

Old 09-14-2003, 03:43 AM

in terms of software, the following options;

SampleTank, as you have already discovered.
Reason, with its included REDRUM. can be rewired into PT, or used stand-alone.

DR-008, drum module for the PC, is in final stages of beta for RTAS.
Battery (or Kontakt), which is to be RTAS PC ready later this month or next.
Old 09-14-2003, 05:35 AM

don't forget about reason's NN-XT advanced. its a full-on sampler. also, you got dr.rex player, which is not a sampler and doesn't exactly fall into this catagory, but its a great tool for creating drum tracks. i use it all the time...
Old 09-14-2003, 12:30 PM

Hi blizzard,

Another issue you might want to consider is timing. There is a difference between the timing of "Sample Accurate" drum machines/samplers and "MIDI" devices.

RTAS devices will provide Sample Accurate playback while devices controlled via your hardware MIDI interface from AMIII/OO1/OO2/OO2R, will be subject to "MIDI Slop".

Many music styles are not really affected by MIDI Slop (like jazz, for instance). But it can be noticeable in some electronic music styles like House, etc..

For electronica type styles, you would want a Sample Accurate device (RTAS for PTLE & VSTi/DXi for Cubase). I'm not sure about Rewire devices (whether they'er Sample Accurate or not - you can research that yourself).