Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2003, 02:27 PM

Default Waves TDM or Native

I was talking to an engineer about the waves plug-ins, and he told me to go with the TDM, but could not explain to me why (he said he couldn't even begin). What is the difference between native and tdm?
Old 09-09-2003, 02:43 PM

Default Re: Waves TDM or Native

well if your engineer told you to go tdm it's because he doesn't know that you are on a "native system" which means your processor and ram goven how many plugins and tracks you can record and play back. TDM is an actual PCI card that is installed in your computer with it's own processor and memory that way it does not tax the computer.

Oh and another thing. TDM/HD 10,000+ not inclusing waves tdm cards at like 3000$
PTLE 002: 1,100$ waves bundle like 800.

Not to be hard but, I would suggest for you not to buy ANOTHER piece of equipment until you understand the difference in products and what they mean to you and your own music making skillset. It frightens me when you get a question like this. You should know what you are buying and why because it makes sense to you, not to someone else.
Old 09-09-2003, 03:32 PM

Exactly. I would never just drop money on something and not know what the heck I bought. Great point. and its exactly why I am asking questions...to learn more.

Old 09-10-2003, 12:49 PM

Hi! Waves Native includes RTAS, VST, DX for Win users. The TDM package is for those using a Mix, HD, etc Digidesign TDM-based system, and ADDS the TDM version of all the plugs to the Native package. If you are using PT LE (001, 002,Mbox, AMIII), Native is all u need. TDM plugs are notoriously higher priced, oft times double the "native version's" price (or more). What are you using (001, 002, Mbox, AMIII, Mix, HD, etc)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 09-10-2003, 02:24 PM

Quote:
I was talking to an engineer about the waves plug-ins, and he told me to go with the TDM, but could not explain to me why (he said he couldn't even begin). What is the difference between native and tdm?
In general, some TDM plugs sound better - partly because they are written with more complex algorithms. Also, WAVES makes a few more plugs for TDM than they do for native(i.e. surround reverbs, etc.).

If you are using PTLE, you must use the native plugs. You can't use TDM plugs with PTLE. If you are using full Pro Tools, you have a choice.
Old 09-10-2003, 04:32 PM

Thanks guys for the help.

That was exactly what I was lookign for. I use 001. My engineer buddy uses TDM, and has been for so long, thats all he knows. I have been fiddling with a friends native version, and wanted a copy of my own, but before splurging, I just wanted to find out...is the tdm a better investment? Maybe down the road, but I'll save that for the studio upgrade. thanks guys for all the help!
Old 09-10-2003, 05:47 PM

Quote:
some TDM plugs sound better - partly because they are written with more complex algorithms. ...
This was only true in the early days of VST before native computers were powerful enough to run some of the code. The only significant stereo Waves plug that has never been available native is the pseudo-stereo. It's a great plug but Michael Gerzon, who wrote it, passed away before there was ever a native version.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Quote:
some TDM plugs sound better - partly because they are written with more complex algorithms. ...
This was only true in the early days of VST before native computers were powerful enough to run some of the code...
Talking about software code is a little out of my league but I distinctly remember one of the Digi engineers saying their Dverb definitely used different algorithms for PTLE than the TDM version. And that was only a couple of years ago. Based on that, I suspect the same may be true for other plugs.

But, I do hope you're right, though Bob.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Quote:
In general, some TDM plugs sound better - partly because they are written with more complex algorithms. Also, WAVES makes a few more plugs for TDM than they do for native(i.e. surround reverbs, etc.).

If you are using PTLE, you must use the native plugs. You can't use TDM plugs with PTLE. If you are using full Pro Tools, you have a choice.
If you install Waves plugins and check the directories installed to, you will find that the plug-ins themselves are installed to their own directory, irregardless of type (vst, rtas, tdm, etc). Waves uses a shell to access the plug-ins, and that shell is located where plug-ins for the audio app are located instead of each individual plug-in. The shells are quite small in file size, and that shell accesses the same plug-in code no matter what type is used (vst, rtas, tdm, etc.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.