Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 02-18-2012, 05:37 PM

Smile Gig Success - Kinda

Hey people

Had a gig/jam friday night and was pretty excited to try out my new Peak FB8n midi controller. It is like the GCP but only has simply display
I have it laid out as follows:

Dist Mod Del Rev
UP Temp FX1 FX Wah
Dn P1 P2 P3 P4

Oh except for on bank1 which is the Bogner and the FX1 switch is set to use the bogner gain switch :)

i have laid banks out as one amp with different gain settings like so:
#1 #2 3 #4
Clean | Dirty | Crunchy | High Gain

I set up going into the return on a Peavey Studio 112 (just wait) and proceeded to set up my FB8n and Exp. I which is set to Wah. I will probably set up my other exp pedal as volume from the 11r .

Anyhow so I setup my floorboard etc, power er up (via wall wart) its boots up.. stomp on a button.. Nothing from the 11... hmmm so i check i have it plugged in the IN midi.. yup.. I replug in the MIDI cable.. reboot the 11 .. nothing AARRRGgggggjhhHH. (cue cursing).. so I kick it to the side and carry on. remembered someone saying that midi cables are temperamental and prone to failure so.

The good news is that I picked an amp M30 and just used the volume knob to solo... worked a treat!! Ive never really been a knob tweaker but hey it was great.. even tweaked with the tone nob which I have never used..anyhow I'm a convert.

Anyhow there were two other guitars and the 11 sounded bloody great even using the power section of a lowly peavey solid state amp (Rig Out No Cab).

Wanna hear the best bit? the following day I plug it all up and it works!! .. bugger me.. I couldn't replicate the failure.. wiggling cables etc.. didn't see any directional symbols on the cable.. it was fine.

Is it possible that there can be enough power to run the controller but not enough to send messages?? anyway cheers for reading if ya made it.

ciao
Old 02-18-2012, 05:43 PM

Default Re: Gig Success - Kinda

Congrats bro!!!
UAD Apollo - Eleven Rack

www.rongreenetunes.com
www.facebook.com/rongreenetunes
Old 02-18-2012, 05:52 PM

I have had problems with my Line 6 POD xt live cutting out due to lack of power. patches wouldnt change etc. Now I realize it's a whole different problem with audio, but it would not work correctly, display was iffy and weird. Funny thing though my JCM 900 worked flawless with the same juice. So you never know. Digital equipment can be tempermental. I carry a tester now, to check voltage, and wiring cause you only have to blow up one board to justify the cost
Old 02-18-2012, 05:57 PM

yeah true enough necjamc.. it was one of those "lets run the band off two outlets" type of gig :)
Old 02-18-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzza_Boogie View Post
yeah true enough necjamc.. it was one of those "lets run the band off two outlets" type of gig :)
Aren't they all
Old 02-18-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Hey people

Had a gig/jam friday night and was pretty excited to try out my new Peak FB8n midi controller. It is like the GCP but only has simply display
I have it laid out as follows:

Dist Mod Del Rev
UP Temp FX1 FX Wah
Dn P1 P2 P3 P4

Oh except for on bank1 which is the Bogner and the FX1 switch is set to use the bogner gain switch :)

i have laid banks out as one amp with different gain settings like so:
#1 #2 3 #4
Clean | Dirty | Crunchy | High Gain

I set up going into the return on a Peavey Studio 112 (just wait) and proceeded to set up my FB8n and Exp. I which is set to Wah. I will probably set up my other exp pedal as volume from the 11r .

Anyhow so I setup my floorboard etc, power er up (via wall wart) its boots up.. stomp on a button.. Nothing from the 11... hmmm so i check i have it plugged in the IN midi.. yup.. I replug in the MIDI cable.. reboot the 11 .. nothing AARRRGgggggjhhHH. (cue cursing).. so I kick it to the side and carry on. remembered someone saying that midi cables are temperamental and prone to failure so.

The good news is that I picked an amp M30 and just used the volume knob to solo... worked a treat!! Ive never really been a knob tweaker but hey it was great.. even tweaked with the tone nob which I have never used..anyhow I'm a convert.

Anyhow there were two other guitars and the 11 sounded bloody great even using the power section of a lowly peavey solid state amp (Rig Out No Cab).

Wanna hear the best bit? the following day I plug it all up and it works!! .. bugger me.. I couldn't replicate the failure.. wiggling cables etc.. didn't see any directional symbols on the cable.. it was fine.

Is it possible that there can be enough power to run the controller but not enough to send messages?? anyway cheers for reading if ya made it.

ciao
I assume you didn't correctly insert the Midi cables in proper orientation. 5 pin Midi cables can be fully inserted wrongly (not in proper orientation) into the Eleven Rack and other devices. You can be off by one pin rotated left or right.

I use 5 pin Midi cables with a metal housing. I have mine painted with an alignment stripe - making sure the pins were all aligned I painted top/bottom alignment stripes which makes an easy reference when plugging in cables.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidEditor View Post
I assume you didn't correctly insert the Midi cables in proper orientation. 5 pin Midi cables can be fully inserted wrongly (not in proper orientation) into the Eleven Rack and other devices. You can be off by one pin rotated left or right.

I use 5 pin Midi cables with a metal housing. I have mine painted with an alignment stripe - making sure the pins were all aligned I painted top/bottom alignment stripes which makes an easy reference when plugging in cables.
I'm not sure about this. The Midi ports on the 11R are 5 pin only. Also, don't midi cables have that tab that only let you put it in one way?
Old 02-19-2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron.ferrer View Post
I'm not sure about this. The Midi ports on the 11R are 5 pin only. Also, don't midi cables have that tab that only let you put it in one way?
I was typing without thinking - it's my Midi Mate foot switch that has a 7 pin Midi out (phantom power) and allows a 5 pin to be inserted wrongly. When I first got my Eleven Rack I was frustrated with intermittent working/non-working of the Midi Mate with my Eleven Rack and all it turned out to be was this simple alignment issue. I haven't looked at the specs of the OP's gear, but I assume the same thing happened to him.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:47 PM

thanks for the tip.. though you had me wondering too AvidEditor.. I tried it again last night and she worked a charm.
Id love to know why it didn't at the gig... (cue twilight zone music dee too dee doo....)
tho its a relief that i don't h ave to program it up again :)
did I mention how good it sounded?
Old 02-19-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
thanks for the tip.. though you had me wondering too AvidEditor.. I tried it again last night and she worked a charm.
Id love to know why it didn't at the gig... (cue twilight zone music dee too dee doo....)
tho its a relief that i don't h ave to program it up again :)
did I mention how good it sounded?
Muzza Boogie, you must be using a 5 pin Midi cable. Seriously, check it out. I looked up your FB8n and it has a 7 pin Midi out.

If you have a 5 pin Midi cable plug it in to your foot controller aligned incorrectly and you'll see it pushes all the way in. Obviously this is what is caused your issue. Line your Midi cable up correctly in your FB8N and scribe a line on the cable marking correct orientation so it doesn't happen again.