Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 08-14-2017, 04:16 PM

Default OMFs from Premiere with MP3 music files have clicks in the music

I have recently been faced with a problem with OMFs exported from Premiere as follows:

If there are MP3s of music tracks in the edit, these files have clicks in them that aren't in the original music files. This happens from many different editors and production companies so my guess is it's a Premiere update issue. This started happening a few months ago and has become a major PIMA.

Has anyone else come across this? Any ideas how to fix other than asking the editor to try and source the non-compressed music track, replace the MP3 with the non-compressed version in their sequence and then re-export the OMF?

I'm in PT 12.7.1 HD on Mac OS 10.10.5

Thanks.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:29 PM
Quiet Art Ltd.

Default Re: OMFs from Premiere with MP3 music files have clicks in the music

This actually happens quite often on OMFs from various software. Must be a sample conversion problem.
Solution is to ask for the originals, or de-click with RX.

WaveRider + Defaulter (now with LKFS)
QuietArt.co.nz

Catchin' SYNC app
Old 08-14-2017, 10:17 PM

I've been doing a combination of exactly those two things but there must be a better solution. Thank goodness for RX!!!! Anyone else have any idea what's going on here on the Premiere side of things?
Mac 2010 3.46 GHz 6 Core

Thanks,
Jeff Yellen
ridgelinesound.com
Old 08-15-2017, 01:36 AM

this happened to me quite a lot with FCP a few years back... didnt solve it other than to get them to use WAV not mp3
Old 08-15-2017, 08:46 AM

OMFs are converting the audio files, and in most cases sample-converting from 44.1 to 48khz. Mp3's are lossy encoded and compressed mediums, they aren't proper work files, and because of that they also suffer from pops and clicks when being sample-stretched via the OMF process.

The best solution is to get and use proper high quality WAV or AIFF before making the OMFs. If you just convert your mp3's to 48khz WAV or AIFF it'll fix the OMF popping/clicking problem, but they'll still have the lower audio quality inherent to mp3's. Best to always try for the highest source quality as possible, if you are using licensed tracks or composed tracks you should be able to get the original high quality source material.