Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 04:40 PM

Default Furman HDR-6 setups

I just aquired a Furman HDR-6 and 5 HR-6 units. They are used but in mint shape and got the whole package for $499 plus $25 shipping.

Anyway this is a killer little system, I have not used it in a full sesion, but I am was wondering how you guys use them as far as stems out of the hardware output and what you use the stereo in for. I use a Mackie big knob soon to be replaced by the presonus unit. But that said I need to get my talkback routed in. So looking for some verying advice on what works for you and why. I am in the middle of wireing for all interconect throughout the studio so just feeling out senerios.

If it matters I am on a 003 console with a 01V96v2 next to it. 24 faders now, banks very nicely with the 01V for 48 tracks.

Hope to hear some feedback from you guys on this, I can figure the basic drum, Bass, Guitars, Vocals on the mono inputs, but more interested about the stereo mix and talkback intergration.

www.kineticrecordingstudios.com
Old 07-23-2007, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Furman HDR-6 setups

Krone,
I used to ue that when I was tracking. Now that I am just mixing I have no use. I used the Central Station to monitor (have one for sale too btw - hit me up offline) The way I ran it was pretty simple and a no brainer when you tracked. All you do i load the session and import the settings.

This is how I did it.

1. Create 4 MONO Master faders.

2. name those faders Knob 1 - 4

3. In your I/O you can name the outs on say 5,6,7,8 of the 002 to KNOB 1-4. That way it is how you read it, etc in Pro Tools.

4. Then set the outs to those names OUTS Knob 1-4.
Now on your patchbay have the outs of the 002 go to the INs on the Furman 1 thru 4.

5. The STEREO outs can be made by either a STEREO MASTER FADER or a slick way is with the Central Station, you send the stereo feed from it to the furman stereo knob. That way the entire session gets the stereo feed and the individual sounds can be tweeked. Say they wanted the whole mix, but MORE of the bass, well, the bass is in knob 2, turn up knob 2 and the stereo feed down, wha la, more bass.

6. I usually had the VOX on 1, Guitar 1 on 2, Guitar 2, on 3, and the Bass on 4. The drums were then on the overall mix, but you can dial it in anyway. That just seemed to work as the drummer had the overall stereo sound, and could run with that ot crank whatever he wanted up.

7. To get the FEEDS to the now namesd KNOBS all you do is a hardware output on say the BASS track to whatever KNOB you decide, set it to PRE FADER (important) and I usually set the send level to -10 so it was not so loud it killed the sound. Now the PRE FADER is important as it allows you to still mix the session and NOT affect the headphone levels. So it is a set and forget thing ya know.

8. Technically you will use 6 OUTS from your 002 to get the system to work properly. The TALKBACK can work really cool with the Central Station as it is in the STEREO knob all the time. That is how I did it.

9. The other easy way for a talk back is get one of those CHEAP push to talk mics. Create a AUX in and plug it into a mic pre. Then set the AUX track to Solo Safe and set a volume level. Then when you click the mic to talk wha la, talk back. just need to make sure it is off when tracking or a feedback loop can happen. The CS is better though. ;-)

That is how I did it. I can send you a session if you want that may help?

Lemme know and hit me up offline. Central station BTW has the remote too. Slick system, but I no longer need it with the API summing.

Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 07-24-2007, 04:00 PM

DOC,
You are the man, I had the routing as far as using hardware ( Digi ) outputs, but how to break out the mix. You solved my problem, for the most part. The only thing is what about FX, as in I thought that is one way to use the stereo pot. But Depending on the size of the group, ala 3 piece, I could still use the stereo for FX and send the drums mono to knob 1. One question, why master faders vrs. aux sends? less latency?

Once again thank you, I had it preaty close but I really like the way you set it up.

I will emale you about the control station. I can do the same thing preaty much with the big knob, I just hate that it is in the way on my desk.

You rule!

Brent

Old 07-24-2007, 09:02 PM

Krone,
The FX should still come thru. Just make sure that they are solo safed out and all should be well. If they are going to the main outs, they should come thru. That is where you can make a second Stereo Master fader if you do not get a Central Station, etc.

Solo safe should correct that, and it is best to solo safe all your AUX tracks anyways.

I used mono master fader as they are just OUTS. Technically if you are running the outs on inserts you do not need the faders at all. Just the SENDS, it is just a easy way to monitor.

try it both ways.

Hit me on on the CS if you are interested. Thinking about puttin git up on ebay soon.

Best,
Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 07-25-2007, 05:27 AM

Got it, makes since. I will be contacting you about the CS hopefully tonight. Off to job 1 for now.

Thanks for the help,

Brent