Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 07-08-2020, 03:05 AM

Default No help, no crossgrade discount, can’t renew, getting nowhere.. giving up on PT?

I’ve emailed Pro Tools support regarding this but it seems that I’m not getting help there and since I only have a few days left on my subscription I’ve decided to write here.

I have a Pro Tools annual subscription about to expire. A year ago I've unintentionally fallen for the “Crossgrade” when wanting to renew the Updates+Support plan for my Perpetual license. English is not my first language and Crossgrade was (still is) the only button available next to the words “Perpetual license” on the upgrades-and-renewals page. Oh well.

My main problem is that currently in the Avid online store the “Renew” button doesn’t work for me, and I can’t find any way to see what I would be charged if I turn on the auto-renew. (The Renew button just gives an error message saying Customer notification: Invalid parameter)

I emailed customer care about this, and got
1) A reply stating that I CAN’T RENEW since my subscription is still active (but.. I’ve recently got several emails from Avid telling to renew before the subscription ends?? ).
2) On asking to confirm the above, a reply stating that I can renew my subscription using the “Renew” button (that I just repeatedly had stated doesn’t work??? ) AND that my price would be the same as buying a new subscription (it says everywhere that Crossgrade includes two years of discounted pricing?? but now it’s actually only one year?? )

Although I don’t mind paying for Updates & Support, I never intended to crossgrade and lose my perpetual license.
I completely lost a few months of use last year since Pro Tools wouldn’t run at all on the current MacOS version (a problem no other software company seems to have). There were no “Updates” I’m paying for.
I’m getting random unhelpful rensponses as the “Support” I’m paying for.
And now as the icing on the cake even the second year of discount is somehow no more..

I’m just about to give up on ProTools, and have spent some time preparing for moving on. I’d still like to give PT a chance but this is all getting me super wary on spending any more money on Avid products.

Is there someone from Avid who could help me out? I’m not just going to blindly turn on the auto-renew to charge me whatever since this is all a bit too wtf.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:54 PM
Avid

Default Re: No help, no crossgrade discount, can’t renew, getting nowhere.. giving up on PT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyibliis View Post
I’ve emailed Pro Tools support regarding this but it seems that I’m not getting help there and since I only have a few days left on my subscription I’ve decided to write here.

I have a Pro Tools annual subscription about to expire. A year ago I've unintentionally fallen for the “Crossgrade” when wanting to renew the Updates+Support plan for my Perpetual license. English is not my first language and Crossgrade was (still is) the only button available next to the words “Perpetual license” on the upgrades-and-renewals page. Oh well.

My main problem is that currently in the Avid online store the “Renew” button doesn’t work for me, and I can’t find any way to see what I would be charged if I turn on the auto-renew. (The Renew button just gives an error message saying Customer notification: Invalid parameter)

I emailed customer care about this, and got
1) A reply stating that I CAN’T RENEW since my subscription is still active (but.. I’ve recently got several emails from Avid telling to renew before the subscription ends?? ).
2) On asking to confirm the above, a reply stating that I can renew my subscription using the “Renew” button (that I just repeatedly had stated doesn’t work??? ) AND that my price would be the same as buying a new subscription (it says everywhere that Crossgrade includes two years of discounted pricing?? but now it’s actually only one year?? )

Although I don’t mind paying for Updates & Support, I never intended to crossgrade and lose my perpetual license.
I completely lost a few months of use last year since Pro Tools wouldn’t run at all on the current MacOS version (a problem no other software company seems to have). There were no “Updates” I’m paying for.
I’m getting random unhelpful rensponses as the “Support” I’m paying for.
And now as the icing on the cake even the second year of discount is somehow no more..

I’m just about to give up on ProTools, and have spent some time preparing for moving on. I’d still like to give PT a chance but this is all getting me super wary on spending any more money on Avid products.

Is there someone from Avid who could help me out? I’m not just going to blindly turn on the auto-renew to charge me whatever since this is all a bit too wtf.
Sorry about that.
There was a pricing change and at the time when you tried renewing your Pro Tools perpetual license's update+support plan, it has already expired. The only way to stay with the perpetual license and have the update+support plan active is by purchasing a reinstatement plan, which is not available on the webstore anymore, but still available from authorized avid resellers. You can check more info on this at https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...ice-Adjustment

Now, regarding your current subscription license, I've already bumped up your case to the Webstore support team. They'll send you an Email soon regarding the pricing. You can turn on your auto-renewal switch on your my.avid.com/products#Myproducts to have it renewed.

Please feel free to let me know if you have further inquiries and we'll be happy to help!

Thank you and stay safe
Tope
Old 07-09-2020, 07:04 AM

Default Re: No help, no crossgrade discount, can’t renew, getting nowhere.. giving up on PT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Sorry about that.
There was a pricing change and at the time when you tried renewing your Pro Tools perpetual license's update+support plan, it has already expired.
Thanks for your reply. So are you saying my perpetual license's update+support plan for 12 months had already expired when I tried renewing it after less than 12 months?

I ordered the perpetual license on July 26th 2018 (and activated some time later after receiving the package in the mail with the iLok key) and tried renewing it on July 11th 2019.

Quote:
You can turn on your auto-renewal switch on your my.avid.com/products#Myproducts to have it renewed.
Thanks, but like I stated in my post I'm not just blindly going to turn on the auto-renew without any idea of the amount I'll be charged.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:12 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyibliis View Post
Thanks for your reply. So are you saying my perpetual license's update+support plan for 12 months had already expired when I tried renewing it after less than 12 months?

I ordered the perpetual license on July 26th 2018 (and activated some time later after receiving the package in the mail with the iLok key) and tried renewing it on July 11th 2019.

Thanks, but like I stated in my post I'm not just blindly going to turn on the auto-renew without any idea of the amount I'll be charged.

The Webstore team have already sent an Email for more details. Please check.

Thank you!
Tope
Old 07-10-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
The Webstore team have already sent an Email for more details. Please check.

Thank you!
Tope
Thanks!

I did get an email with new price information, again contradicting what I was told by Avid Customer Care earlier. According to the latest email the Crossgrade two year discount would now be valid for two years, yay.

Nothing about the 12 month plan expiring in less than 12 months.

Nothing about the webstore purchase not working. Auto-renew is the only way apparently.

To be honest all this, getting different answer each time I ask, having to make forum posts to get customer support, and the recent delay with getting an update that runs with current OS/X doesn’t really convince me. I think I’ll take my money elsewhere.
Old 07-10-2020, 01:31 PM

This is already very confusing. Did I understand you correctly:
  1. You bought perpetual PT license July 2018 and got 12mth support plan with it
  2. You tried to renew support plan July 2019 but instead did crossgrade to subscription
  3. Now year later July 2020 you want that Avid converts your subscription back to Perpetual
  4. You want to renew support plan now and have it on auto-renewal for the coming years

Sure, a mistake was made when you crossgraded to subscription; but if at that time price for that and support plan renewas was the same, it is not completely your fault. And should Avid convert your subscription back to Perpetual they would not have lost anything, and you are now setting up auto-renewal for the future.