Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2006, 08:38 PM

Default Re: Best Laptops for PTLE

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
DELL Inspiron 9300
- Intel® Pentium® M Processor 740 (1.73 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB
- 1GB DDR SDRAM

It is using Windows XP media center operating software - I understand that 002 does not support the windows XP Media Center.

Nick
I'd be getting the 9300 if it has the dual core processors and you should be able to get XP Pro installed if you call the company to order it.
Allen

Allen, I'm going in! The Dell 9400 has the dual core processors and I've decided to see how that works. Dell can have it back if it doesn't work, but I just bought LE 7.0 and an Mbox 2 to take with me on my travels. I have a Digi 002 at the house on an Allenstein from the last couple of years. But I travel in spurts and now I'll just take a studio with me ... as well as guitar and what not.

Other features are:
- 1.66GHz, 2MB L2 Cache 667 MGz FSB
- 1GB Dual-Channel DDR2 SDRAM
- XP Home
- 60GB SATA Hard Drive
- 17" Widescreen XGA+ Display
- Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
- 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive (DVD player only)
+ Could opt for 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) for add'l $75

What do you think?

So wish me luck and I'll update this post once I get it in and LE 7.0 installed.

Keith
I think this one should rock. Looking forward to your results. Don't forget to perform the Windows dual core fix listed on the Best Desktop thread, first post.

Allen
Old 02-16-2006, 10:45 AM

Excellent news... the windows fix for dual processor (hotfix) that Allen Hallada suggested worked. Thanks. The E1705 recorded thirty tracks for 1 min with 5 plugin-s on each. (So I did a crude davec test.) I am just happy it works. I can actually start thinking about getting some audio post production work.

However i am still cautious about performance... I really don't know if the tweaks are workarounds for different problems or do they all help squeezzzing more performance out of the computer?

Should I still re-install XP pro in standard mode. If I want the best "tuned set up" then what should I be doing. I get the disabling drivers et al but what about the BIOS and XP/media centre. Should the media centre go.

Thanks to everyone by the way... I was losing my mind to this computer... (it was bugging me night and day...funny how you get so determined to make these things work. I was ready to send it back and get an approved dell. I even had a working neundo my friend got.

Anyway that is my up date so far. Also does this me the E1705 should be digidesign approved
Old 02-16-2006, 06:56 PM

well the fix didn't last. My E1705 is back to not recording. I have done every trouble shoot. I haven't done hyperthreading i think mine is off. I am going to install XP pro tommorrow.

Could a external HD make all the difference?

A disappointed JEJ
Old 02-17-2006, 09:50 AM

HEY ALLEN!!!

I've recently experienced some NEW BILLS (YESS!!!) so I can't afford to build the ALLENSTEIN BEAST anymore...

BUT, I've still got my trusty Emachnies 6809. Out on NEWEGG they sell the MOBILE AMD 64 4000+ 754 socket chip. Could I just install this chip for more processing power? Granted, it's still like $350, but it's cheaper than $1200 for the allenstein, and with the addition recently of SMACK / ANALOG CHANNEL / A FEW WAVES PLUGS (another reason I can't afford the allenstein right now....) I'm running into CPU problems.

If I remember right the AMD 3200+ runs at 2.0, while the 4000+ runs at 2.6?? Will this provide a significant performance boost?

THanks!!!
Old 02-18-2006, 09:32 AM

Default Re: PTLE on IBM T40s.

Well I received my Sony VAIO VGN-BX540B09. It is a 2.26 Ghrs machine with 2 gig of ram. I loaded Protools 7.0 and my plugins. I hooked up my AVID firewire 180 gig drive to the firewire input and pluged in the dig 002 into the drive.
I launched protools. It opened up perfectly. I my years of using protools this is the first time I never had some issues with starting it up. I loaded in a 24 track song and it ran it great. Screens repainted great. I am very impressed so far with this computer.
I will continue to let you know.
Nick
Old 02-19-2006, 01:52 PM

Quote:
HEY ALLEN!!!

I've recently experienced some NEW BILLS (YESS!!!) so I can't afford to build the ALLENSTEIN BEAST anymore...

BUT, I've still got my trusty Emachnies 6809. Out on NEWEGG they sell the MOBILE AMD 64 4000+ 754 socket chip. Could I just install this chip for more processing power? Granted, it's still like $350, but it's cheaper than $1200 for the allenstein, and with the addition recently of SMACK / ANALOG CHANNEL / A FEW WAVES PLUGS (another reason I can't afford the allenstein right now....) I'm running into CPU problems.

If I remember right the AMD 3200+ runs at 2.0, while the 4000+ runs at 2.6?? Will this provide a significant performance boost?

THanks!!!
I'm not sure if this would work or not. Give it a try and let us know.

Allen
Old 02-19-2006, 01:54 PM

Quote:
well the fix didn't last. My E1705 is back to not recording. I have done every trouble shoot. I haven't done hyperthreading i think mine is off. I am going to install XP pro tommorrow.

Could a external HD make all the difference?

A disappointed JEJ
I'm betting that XP Pro will work. I'd do the dual core fix again after reinstalling XP Pro using Standard PC install. Do a full reformat of the hard drive as well.

Allen
Old 02-19-2006, 01:56 PM

Default Re: PTLE on IBM T40s.

Quote:
Well I received my Sony VAIO VGN-BX540B09. It is a 2.26 Ghrs machine with 2 gig of ram. I loaded Protools 7.0 and my plugins. I hooked up my AVID firewire 180 gig drive to the firewire input and pluged in the dig 002 into the drive.
I launched protools. It opened up perfectly. I my years of using protools this is the first time I never had some issues with starting it up. I loaded in a 24 track song and it ran it great. Screens repainted great. I am very impressed so far with this computer.
I will continue to let you know.
Nick
Congrats!

Allen
Old 02-19-2006, 11:43 PM

Do you recommend any usb hard drive, or will any do?
Firewire better or USB2 is ok?
Any rpm ok, or is there a minimum?

Thanks Allan,
Old 02-20-2006, 06:51 AM

The E1705 is still not working. I installed XP pro and then the dual-core hot fix. Frustratingly after I install the hotfix and restart... PT works and by that I mean it records. Then I close the session and open again and its back to the H/W buffer size errors.

I don't beleive I re-formatted the hard drive when XP Pro was installed. maybe I'll try that. I have discovered that two chipset are in the e1705 945GM and 945PM. Mixed chips are a problem right....?