Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2018, 12:15 AM

Default Hi, I ask about "Custom MAC."

HI, I had a real Mac Pro 2008. But It is too old to do work well.
Then, I had a Custom MAC. Is there a studio which uses custom mac to main?
Yet, It's O.K. And I use the Mac pro 2008 of recording computer. (ADR)

Thank you! I so wonder about this.

Last edited by sign3912; 05-22-2018 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:18 AM

Default Re: Hi, I ask about "Custom MAC."

Quote:
Originally Posted by sign3912 View Post
HI, I had a real Mac Pro 2008. But It is too old to do work well.
Then, I had a Custom MAC. Is that a studio which uses custom mac to main?
Yet, It's O.K. And I use the Mac pro 2008 of recording computer. (ADR)

Thank you! I so wonder about this.
Sorry I do not think anybody here can understand your question. You might try having somebody else translate it for you, or try typing it in Korean and we can see if Google Translate can translate it.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Sorry I do not think anybody here can understand your question. You might try having somebody else translate it for you, or try typing it in Korean and we can see if Google Translate can translate it.

Sorry About this.
Custom Mac is Hackintosh or CustoMac.

Custom Mac is word as possible common as in korea.

I wonder about Hackintosh Stability for Post Studio. Thank you.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sign3912 View Post
Sorry About this.
Custom Mac is Hackintosh or CustoMac.

Custom Mac is word as possible common as in korea.

I wonder about Hackintosh Stability for Post Studio. Thank you.
Am recently using Hackintoshes (and have been for many years now) for post as tracking- as well as mixing-rigs. Absolutely no issues.
But you have to understand, what you're getting into and know how to handle a Hackintosh. Wouldn't give it to my grandparents in good conscience. But if you're savvy and know the dos and don'ts - once it's setup it performs like a real Mac. Only faster due to better specs.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 05-11-2018, 07:15 PM

If you have the time - mackintosh / custom Mac - will work great.

for audio, unless you want to waste time, buy a USED 1014-2017 trashcan pro of the highest spec.

I find it HARD to push mine past 44-55% - 3.0/8core/64GB ram

used trash can over a hack if you have the option
Old 05-20-2018, 07:38 PM

While I respect others' decisions to go with a Hackintosh, I feel that if you want to roll-your-own computer, it's probably best to go with a Windows PC. Windows was designed to accommodate a variety of hardware, and it will probably be more stable on custom hardware. MacOS was designed to run on Macs. The whole point of getting a Mac is that there are only a few configurations, but that makes it easier for Apple (and the big vendors) to test and get most of the bugs out.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigFriedChicken View Post
While I respect others' decisions to go with a Hackintosh, I feel that if you want to roll-your-own computer, it's probably best to go with a Windows PC. Windows was designed to accommodate a variety of hardware, and it will probably be more stable on custom hardware. MacOS was designed to run on Macs. The whole point of getting a Mac is that there are only a few configurations, but that makes it easier for Apple (and the big vendors) to test and get most of the bugs out.
These kind of posts always come from people who never owned or even at least used a Hackintosh before. Granted that's an assumption in this case, but I'd bet a pretty penny on it.
Macs aren't built with fairy dust sprinkled parts. A Mac is a PC, built with parts like any other PC. And the "whole point of getting a Mac" to me is being able to run MacOS. I couldn't care less about the underperfoming but overpriced hardware and all the restrictions that come with it.

Depending on the parts you choose, setting up a Hackintosh can be as easy as installing MacOS from a USB drive and being done with it, to getting really intricate when you want to go rogue from what is known to work.
Once the system is running it runs as stable as a genuine Mac does. And I claim that having built and partially used a wide array of Hackintoshes for the past six or seven years.

It doesn't help people who ask questions like this, when posts like the one I quoted appear left and right, written by people who have an opinion that is based on assumptions and nothing else.
I've been a long time Windows user and claiming that Windows runs more stable on any given hardware than a Hackintosh does is laughable at best. Don't post stuff like that. There's not a grain of truth to that.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock