Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 06-22-2011, 10:35 PM

Default Showing the needle on all tracks

I have to line up some tracks so the playback at certain spots on each starts at the same time. They have various lengths up to that spot.
Some 56 sec, other 13 sec etc.
I usually do this by zooming in very tight an the slide the tracks around until I see the wave form being lined up.

I'm wondering if there is a way to have the needle show all the way down each track while it's not playing. I know this automatically happens once you hit play but can I see the needle while the software is stopped?

This is my idea of lining up these spots in the tracks.

Now, if you have a better idea of lining these tracks I'd be very happy to learn it.
Basically I have an acoustic guitar that I just recorded on six different tracks using six different mics at six different times, so they were not all recorded at the same time, and I want to have them all start at various points through out the song at the exact same time.

I know this is a bit convoluted so I hope I have made this somewhat clear.

Thanks

GD
Old 06-26-2011, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Showing the needle on all tracks

Any ideas.
By the way this is very easy to do in Adobe Audition because the playback
needle always shows all the way down every track even when it's stopped.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:17 AM

Dont know of any way to make it work in PT but you could create a memory location wherever you need to have something to allign your regions to.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:41 PM

First, it's called a playback cursor, not a needle.

There are a couple of options. If you click on the timeline instead of a track, it will show the playback cursor across all tracks, and will stay there after you stop playback ... but it will go away if you click elsewhere.

You might try changing the Edit Window Scrolling under the Options menu to "center playhead" and see if that does what you want. You can change it back whenever.

If you then add a sync point to a region and hold down Shift+Cntl (on a Mac) and click on the region, it will snap the sync point to the center playhead bar.

Media Man
Old 06-27-2011, 05:37 PM

Oh well,,,,,,,I guess I could always put a ruler up against the monitor.....lol.

Thanks for your help. I still learned some new stuff and will definitely try it.

Thanks

GD
Old 06-27-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrDude View Post
Oh well,,,,,,,I guess I could always put a ruler up against the monitor.....lol.

Thanks for your help. I still learned some new stuff and will definitely try it.

Thanks

GD
Don't give up yet.

Try changing the Edit Window Scrolling to "Center Playhead". I think it will do what you are trying to do. It's actually what the PT manual recommends for lining up "sync points" on different tracks.

Then you can change it back after you've lined everything up.

Media Man
Old 06-29-2011, 06:38 AM

Here's what I'd do (but bear in mind I'm on a Mac so certain key commands may very):

1. Use the "/" key (or "=" key) on the numeric keypad and type in the exact time you want the regions to appear

2. Hold down "control" and click on the region - and viola! - the selected region will slip to that exact time.

3. Repeat 2. for all applicable regions.

*Make sure you are in 'Slip' mode*
Old 06-29-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
Here's what I'd do (but bear in mind I'm on a Mac so certain key commands may very):

1. Use the "/" key (or "=" key) on the numeric keypad and type in the exact time you want the regions to appear

2. Hold down "control" and click on the region - and viola! - the selected region will slip to that exact time.

3. Repeat 2. for all applicable regions.

*Make sure you are in 'Slip' mode*
I believe the poster wants to sync up regions from a point within the region, not the front.

Media Man