Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 03-16-2001, 02:55 PM

Default Please Help....How can i clock my 888/24 using my rosetta...!!

Hi All,

Im new to all of this but can someone please explain how i can clock my 888/24 using my Rosetta ? Will i need to use inputs 1 & 2 using AES or can it be any of the inputs on the 888? What is the point of having wordclock output on the Rosetta if i clock the Rosetta using AES or SPDIF as suggested in another post ?

I would greaty appreciate it if someone could please provide clear instructions ..

Cheers and Regards

Alen Yu
Old 03-16-2001, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Please Help....How can i clock my 888/24 using my rosetta...!!

Yes, you would clock the 888 with the AES input of channel 1 & 2. Change the sync on the 888 from internal to digital.

You can use the word clock out of the Rosetta for any other unit that is capable of syncing to clock in.

------------------
Dan Matthews
InSight Sound Recording
(970) 663-1650
InSight Sound Web Page
Old 03-16-2001, 03:59 PM

Thanks for your reply....

Is it possible to slave the 888 to the rosetta clock via word clock or will i gain more benefit by using inputs 1 & 2 and using the intenal clock of the rosetta ?

I guess what i'm trying to get at is how will the 888 sound better than norm using the rosetta..?

Thanks for your help...
Old 03-17-2001, 01:43 PM

First off, word clock output on the rosetta is the same as the word clock getting sent out of its AES outs. The 888 only has a 256x clock input, so you cant hook the word from the roestta directly to the 888 but it dont matter.. the word coming out of the AES outs is the same..
so if you set the 888 to clock to digital on 1&2 you will be clocking it off the rosetta like you want and your PT will sound better...
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 03-20-2001, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mt.Everest:
First off, word clock output on the rosetta is the same as the word clock getting sent out of its AES outs. The 888 only has a 256x clock input, so you cant hook the word from the roestta directly to the 888 but it dont matter.. the word coming out of the AES outs is the same..
so if you set the 888 to clock to digital on 1&2 you will be clocking it off the rosetta like you want and your PT will sound better...
From what I've read over at Bob Katz's web site (www.digido.com), jitter is not as low when the clock is derived via an AES/EBU input as opposed to getting it from a dedicated wordclock input. How much of a real-world difference this makes, I don't know.

------------------
Larry Bentley
Cellar Dweller Productions
www.cellardweller.com
Mac Pro 2019 16-core, 96GB RAM, OS 10.15.2
Old 03-20-2001, 01:21 PM

I'm not sure you can (or that Bob Katz did) make that a categorical statement - you really have to experiment with different clocking setups in every rig to see what sounds best.

Friend-Chip (www.Ucik.com) makes a $200 box called the super-clock-driver that takes either word clock or Superclock; buffers it to reduce jitter; and then distributes it to four BNC outs, each of which can be either word or SC.
Old 03-24-2001, 12:18 AM

Thanks Nick for that web page. This little box is great for getting the 888 to directly clock to the Rosetta. Do you know anything about this box -specs, company background etc?

It's pretty common knowledge that AES clock is subject to more jitter, but has anyone actually done blind listening between clocking with AES vs BNC for the same gear?
Old 03-27-2001, 08:35 AM

I have corresponded with both Fritz Rosendahl (creator of Nanosync) and Martin Ucik (president of Ucik who makes the Friend-Chip box that Nick mentioned above). Both have allowed me to quote them, and I think their responses might be helpful.

First to Fritz I asked if the Nanosync could be used so that it is slaved to Rosetta clock (the Rosetta has no word clock in) and from there feeding the rest of the studio word clock. So the chain would be Rosetta - Nanosync - 888 + other digital gear. Most importantly I asked if this configuration would still provide the benefits of the Nanosync's super low jitter. His answer: "When the nanosyncs is resolved to an external reference (in your application
to word clock) the nanosyncs clock quality is the same as in internal mode." So to my great relief, the Nanosync can still be used effectively in a studio with the Rosetta.

Second, I asked Martin Ucik if his DT74 digital distribution box (Friend-Chip) would add any jitter to the system. Here is his answer: "The DT 74 does not generate clock and is hardlocked to the input, so it does
not ad jitter to the signal.
The input automatically detects either regular word clock or super clock.
The outputs can be individualy set with an internal jumper to either regular
word clock or super clock.

Many users use the DT 74 exactly the way you intend to use it and it is a
perfect and very affordable solution.

You may order the DT 74 directly from us via our web store (www.ucik.com), by
emailing or calling (1-800-317-8743) or by contacting your favorit dealer and
have him order it for you. "

Both of these boxes offer solutions for Rosetta owners who are forced to deal with a great box that unfortunately does not offer word clock in. For $200 you can lock your entire studio to the Rosetta's clock via the dedicated BNC connection. Frank Filipetti emphatically stated in the March 01 Mix that sending word clock via AES is not recommended. Further, if you are trying to clock more than just the 888 with your Rosetta, it's common knowledge thay you should not daisy chain sync (especially via AES).

The next step up is the Nanosync ($1300) which has been well covered in several other discussions. The general consensus from the discussions is that it will make an audible difference when clocking an 888 and a more subtle improvement when clocking an Apogee (like the AD8000). Remember that the Rosetta is not being clocked to the Nanosync, so it's own jitter will not be improved, however that of the rest of the system will be improved. So the quality of mixing, bouncing, monitoring and any external digital gear should all be improved.

Whether the actual sound quality is improved by sending clock via dedicated BNC vs AES from the Rosetta to the 888 is still to be confirmed, but there is no question that for anything beyond this setup you should send each digital device its own clock from a distribution box.

Incidently, I do not work for either of these two companies. Just trying to spread some useful info.
Old 03-27-2001, 06:03 PM

This is an important adendum to my above post: Mark Ucik sent me a second email in order to revise some information provided. This is as follows:

"The information I gave you yesterday was only partialy correct. If the input of the DT 74 is regular clock, the DT 74 has to multiply to generate the super clock. This is done with its own PLL which has a jitter below 5 ns, typically 2 ns."

The Rosetta states its own jitter spec to be <<22 psec.

Unfortuntely this box is not as perfect a solution as it first appeared. I don't have time right now to do any more legwork on this so maybe someone else can chime in.