Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2020, 03:26 AM

Default Maschine Mk3 Slave Sync Issues

I am unable to get Pro Tools to act as the Master, and have Maschine as the slave to achieve start/stop of Maschine from the PT Transport.

Maschine is running standalone on the same PC as Pro Tools. I am a Windows 10 User on a superfast box.

Maschine has a sequence loaded, and has the Midi Sync mode set to Receive Clock, and both the input devices called Maschine MK3 EXT MIDI and Maschine MK3 Ctrl MIDI are ticked. As I understand it, this sets the MK3 up ready to receive the start command from the Master device, which I want to be Pro Tools.

I currently have the following settings, but no matter what I do, I can not get Maschine to start to play when I commence playing a song in Pro Tools.

Peripheral Settings -Sync
MTC Reader Port - Any
MTC Generator Port - Maschine MK3 Crtl Midi

Peripheral Settings -Machine Control
MIDI Machine Control (Master) - Enable Unticked
MIDI Machine Control Remote (Slave) - Enable ticked, ID 127

Midi Beat Clock
Enable MIDI Beat Clock for - Ticked
Maschine MK3 Ctrl MIDI - Ticked
Maschine MK3 EXT MIDI - Ticked

Alternatively, I have also attempted the alternate state of enabled Generate MTC by enabling Synchronization on the Transport window, and turning on the GEN MTC button prior to hitting play. This disables the above mentioned Beat Clock settings, but do not work either!

This is driving me crazy, as I want to be able to create my beats in standalone Maschine, then record instruments in PT.

Interestingly, if I enable the Ableton Link functionality in both PT Transport and Maschine, I can get the devices to stay in sync, but I need to start both to them running independently, and I am more than keen to have Maschine start when I start PT. Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Last edited by jzatorski; 09-17-2020 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Maschine Mk3 Slave Sync Issues

Check out this article:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...preset-article
Old 09-17-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzatorski View Post
I am unable to get Pro Tools to act as the Master, and have Maschine as the slave to achieve start/stop of Maschine from the PT Transport.

Maschine is running standalone on the same PC as Pro Tools.

Maschine has a sequence loaded, and has the Midi Sync mode set to Receive Clock, and both the input devices called Maschine MK3 EXT MIDI and Maschine MK3 Ctrl MIDI are ticked. As I understand it, this sets the MK3 up ready to receive the start command from the Master device, which I want to be Pro Tools.

I currently have the following settings, but no matter what I do, I can not get Maschine to start to play when I commence playing a song in Pro Tools.

Peripheral Settings -Sync
MTC Reader Port - Any
MTC Generator Port - Maschine MK3 Crtl Midi

Peripheral Settings -Machine Control
MIDI Machine Control (Master) - Enable Unticked
MIDI Machine Control Remote (Slave) - Enable ticked, ID 127

Midi Beat Clock
Enable MIDI Beat Clock for - Ticked
Maschine MK3 Ctrl MIDI - Ticked
Maschine MK3 EXT MIDI - Ticked

Alternatively, I have also attempted the alternate state of enabled Generate MTC by enabling Synchronization on the Transport window, and turning on the GEN MTC button prior to hitting play. This disables the above mentioned Beat Clock settings, but do not work either!

This is driving me crazy, as I want to be able to create my beats in standalone Maschine, then record instruments in PT.

Interestingly, if I enable the Ableton Link functionality in both PT Transport and Maschine, I can get the devices to stay in sync, but I need to start both to them running independently, and I am more than keen to have Maschine start when I start PT. Any assistance greatly appreciated.
Why not just run Maschine as a plug-in in Pro Tools?

If you really don’t want to do that.... I’m not sure if Maschine even recognises MTC but that aside, you need to have an actual route of MIDI communication between PT and Maschine. So... look at setting up IAC in Mac OS Audio MIDI Setup to route MIDI clock From PT to Maschine?
Old 09-17-2020, 04:55 PM

Hi Marsdy. For clarification, the reason I do not wish to use Maschine as a plugin in Pro Tools is that I like and use the ability to full screen the app to more easily manage manual editing of the midi tracks on screen.
I am a Windows 10 User not Mac, so not sure yet (will investigate) whether I can use that tool you indicated, or at least its Windows equivalent.

Am I wrong in assuming that they can see each other given that they are available in the respective device selection windows? It also seems strange to me that the Ableton Link function does keep them synced, even though I cant trigger play.

Lastly, I was reading yesterday a post which said that Maschine did not use MTC, but I then watched a youtube video on a guy synching Maschine to PT from a Mac usiung MTVC which is why I am still hunting. Any further clarification appreciated. Thanks for your input. Jeremy
Old 09-17-2020, 09:16 PM

Default Maschine Mk3 Slave Sync Issues

Like most beat making devices, Maschine can sync with MIDI beat clock. Crack the manual. You have to turn on sync in Maschine and Pro Tools needs to send MIDI beat clock to the Maschine virtual midi port.

Don’t confuse MIDI beat clock with MIDI time code or MIDI machine control.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 09-18-2020, 09:19 PM

Hi Jimmy and Marsdy.

I thought I would share with you the outcomes of my further works on this issue, just for your understanding of how I actually managed to solve this issue.

I went looking for the IAC tool to no avail, but found a story about linking Ableton virtual midi below, and in that article, it mentioned a windows tool called loopMidi. I downloaded and installed it, and then used it as the pointer between PT and Maschine, and it worked beautifully. (Article below)

I then went back and reinstated my previous settings, as noted in my original post and tit still worked....Very strange I thought, so then I uninstalled LoopMidi, and it continued to work! Go figure.

So my takeaway from all this? It seems that as this was the first time I had ever attempted to communicate by virtual midi between PT and Maschine, something within one of Windows 10, PT or Maschine associated with virtual midi was not running properly, and the installation of loopMidi sorted this out.

I now have no issue, and no tangible understanding of the true issue underlying my situation, but I can only be glad I got an solution in the end. Thanks for your responses. Much appreciated, and the guidance got me on the path.

Regards, Jeremy

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...hYpPr_mF1V6tMv
to