Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-27-2007, 10:01 PM

Default How do I use my Rosetta as ADDA and clock w/Mbox 2 Pro?

I'm a Cubase user and finally bought PT to compare...I've searched on this forum and there's nothing about just basically using it as a dongle. I would obviously rather use my Rosetta as the clock, AD and DA - but I can't seem to figure it out.

Here's how I figure it:
-(Let's say I'm using the mic pre in the Mbox) I would set the Input L&R to Analog 1&2.
-Then I would think I set the Output to spdif and then go spdif out to the spdif in of the Rosetta.
Oy - I'm confused...
I just want to make sure I'm using the Rosetta 200 for AD and DA...
Old 05-28-2007, 06:51 AM

Default Re: How do I use my Rosetta as ADDA and clock w/Mbox 2 Pro?

If you want to use the Rosetta as the ADDA, then you need to go analog out of the MBox into the analog in on the Rosetta. SPDIF is a digital output, so if you're tapping that output on your MBox then you are already post-conversion and going digital into the Rosetta...

Hope that helps...

Cheers,
Andrew
http://www.andrewmckennalee.com
Old 05-28-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I'm a Cubase user and finally bought PT to compare...I've searched on this forum and there's nothing about just basically using it as a dongle. I would obviously rather use my Rosetta as the clock, AD and DA - but I can't seem to figure it out.

Here's how I figure it:
-(Let's say I'm using the mic pre in the Mbox) I would set the Input L&R to Analog 1&2.
-Then I would think I set the Output to spdif and then go spdif out to the spdif in of the Rosetta.........
OK, you're half way there.

But first you have to connect the S/PDIF out of the Rosetta into the S/PDIF in of the Mbox. This will provide the clock for the Mbox, once you have selected external clock and S/PDIF source in the Pro Tools software system setup.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:08 PM

But doesn't that still use the Mbox's AD conversion? If I'm going from the Mbox mic pre and then going digitally into the Rosetta (spdif), then the conversion has already been done, right? I was trying to go analog out of the Mbox to the analog in of the Rosetta - then letting the Rosetta do the AD conversion and then digital out from the rosetta (spdif back into the Mbox...can't get it to work for anything...

Thanks for the help
Old 05-28-2007, 01:17 PM

As far as I know there aren't insert jacks on the Mbox 2 Pro, so there's no way of using the Mbox pres and an external converter. If you want to use the Apogee's A/D conveters, you'll need to buy a preamp to put in front of them. Otherwise, you can have your system clock off the apogee, but you'll need to use the Mbox2's converters if you want to use its preamps as there is no way of splicing out of the audio chain between those two components.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:12 PM

Mr Shady has it correct.

However, you will benefit from the better clock, plus you will have better playback since you will be monitoring from the Rosetta (I presume.)

However, to get a decent mic pre that will improve over the Mbox will cost some, as you really want something better than what is in the Mbox. And then there is the question of the microphone you are using, the monitors that you use for playback. So unless you want to spend some serious money, I would just stay with your present set-up.

The Apogee will definitely improve things.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:58 PM

Thanks guys, that answers my questions...I have a Aurora GTQC coming on Wednesday, but I was just trying to get something down with the Mbox pres before it showed up. The pre's actually were ok - even with the Mbox AD conversion. The thing that's a deal breaker to me is the latency...and the bugginess of 7.3.1. I'm using a Mac Pro with 3.5 gigs of RAM, and I still get occasional error messages and CPU spikes, overloads and unclickable play and stop buttons. I've seen some posts about optimizing things to avoid this, but this is just too time consuming. No delay compensation, no direct monitoring and more than one instance of Ivory and my machine is dragging - ridiculous. I'm not trying to be a troll - PT's is a great program - it's just not working for me. Sooo...

I have an Mbox 2 Pro version 7.3.1 in the box for sale. I literally bought it yesterday (5/27/07). I haven't registered it, so there is no transfer involved. $550

Email me at huskerrebel@bellsouth.net if you're interested.