Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2005, 09:43 PM

Default SM58 vs RØDE NT1

hey
i've been lurking the forum and was narrowing down a beginner mic choice
i find the NT1 will be expensive compared to the sm58 (on my budget) and
i am not trying to start a recording studio or anything. i have mbox on a mac g5.
i'm super new to digital recording. i have played in little local gigs and did some
4-tracking on a piece of junk back when dinosaurs roamed the earth with hideous equipt.

i want to record voice in my house.
i will be spending for a cable and a mic

is the sound gap wide between the two, or is the sm58 fine?
are there tremendous benefits to the NT1 ?
i would have bought the sm58 already except
"proools for dummies" suggets a
"large diaphragm condenser mic" as your first foray
into studio vocal land.

thanks!
Old 11-18-2005, 07:21 AM

Default Re: SM58 vs RØDE NT1

You're talking about two very different mics here.
If you're just starting out, I would have to agree that your best bet is to go with a large diaphram condensor mic as it will be the most versital for you.
But don't think the NT1 is your only choice. For the same price as a 58 you could get one of the MXL models (I have the 990 and think it's great for the price) or the AT-2020 from Audio Technica. Either would be a good starting place for what you're describing.

Rock on

Ben
Old 11-18-2005, 07:32 AM

Agree with Ben.
SM58 is a great great mic, and I use it tons in the studio for everything....but if you're mainly going for voice and want it to be easy and popless, head for a diaphram.
Keep in mind that a 58 can be used everywhere live and in the studio for just about everything, but in the studio will take a bit more tweaking and carefulness.....

Good luck!
Danji
Old 11-30-2005, 05:06 PM

Yes. I agree with the other posters.

There is a difference between a large and small diaphragm microphone. Plus, this is a dynamic vs condenser mic as well.

If you choose to go with a 58, make sure it is a Beta58 due to its extended low/high range.

Btw..... If those are the two mic's of choice, then go with the NT1.

Old 12-01-2005, 07:32 AM

Generally speaking, a large diaphragm condenser is a first choice for vocal applications.
Dynamics have their place in the vocal world too, but my personal experiences find me using a condenser on voice 99% of the time.
There are large diaphragms out there for the price of a SM58. Granted, none of them are the best quality, but I'd venture to say that all of them will sound better for voice than a 58.

It's my opinion that there's no real studio purpose for a SM58.
The SM58 is a workhorse live vocal mike.
Now the SM57 is a different story altogether.
The SM57 is the preferred mike for guitar cabinet and snare drum, and sounds just as good on voice as the SM58. That, and it's 10 bux or so cheaper.
The NT1 is a decent entry level condenser, and at 199.00 (or so), it's certainly an affordable choice, and will serve many more purposes than a dynamic.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:26 AM

Funny thing happened to me last night. I was doing vocals on one of my tunes, and as usual I put up a couple of mics to record my vocals. I do this so I can choose and mix and match with levels and hopfully bypass the eq. Last night I put up a Neumann U47 fet into My Digi "Pre" and a SM57 into my Scully 280 mic pre. In my room, with my voice, on that song, on this night the SM57 sounded the best. I would have never thought that this combo would sound so good. Go figure, use you ears, not your eyes. You'll be amazed at the sound you can get from low cost equipment.

Norm
Old 12-02-2005, 11:14 AM

Well, you say you are not starting a recording studio, but I assume you are recording in your room since your computer is a G5.
While Rode NT1 is a very good mic for the price, it could be too good if your place is noisy. (Try to hear noises in the room you are planning to record in, cars, refrigerator, air conditioner. All these things can get very noisy in your recording if you are using a large condenser. SM57 and SM58 (another good mic for vocals) are dynamic mikes, and they pick up less noise.