Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems

Old 07-16-2020, 11:53 AM

Default Working directly off NAS?

I’m sure this topic has been covered but has anyone recently been using any "at home" NAS systems that work well with ProTools? I was looking at getting a Synology NAS for backup but ideally I'd like to work off it as well if that is an option these days. I know there is a Nexis but what about someone at home who doesn't really need all that.
Old 07-24-2020, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Working directly off NAS?

Synology is probably the best brand. I have had decent performance from a Buffalo NAS housing a pair of WD Red 6TB drives(not running in RAID, just JBOD). If you have plenty of RAM(32GB or more) and assign 5-6GB to Disk Cache(Playback Engine>Disk Playback>Cache size), and allow the session to fully cache before playback, it should be okay within reason(not sure how that would be with 200 tracks)). If you don't use RAID, you still need a backup strategy.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-24-2020, 01:48 PM

I use one for backup but the performance isn't quite good enough for me for live data.

NVME drives in the Mac Pro for live data.
Synology NAS for backup.

It has worked for me for the last few years.

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 07-24-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goombot View Post
I’m sure this topic has been covered but has anyone recently been using any "at home" NAS systems that work well with ProTools? I was looking at getting a Synology NAS for backup but ideally I'd like to work off it as well if that is an option these days. I know there is a Nexis but what about someone at home who doesn't really need all that.
The thing is you don't have to ask, you can search for what people write here about stuff.

e.g. google Synology site:duc.avid.com

Personally I would not work off a low-end NAS. Don't see the attraction. Not when modern PCIe/NVMe SSDs are so much faster, and more reliable, incl. because they are just simpler and you can run off an internal NVMe drive and not need not worry about fragile cables etc. And then a NAS makes a fantastic backup/version backup box.-- but do *not* rely on a NAS as an ultimate archive/backup. And don't assume RAID 1/5/etc. makes anything reliable to trust by itself... so how would you backup the NAS box if it's your primary session storage? Has your backup device now become your single point of failure. You really want multiple separate backups/archives, ideally in multiple different formats in multiple different locations, ideally at least one off-site (cloud storage may be a good option for that).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-24-2020 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:58 PM

QNAP?