Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > Training

Old 09-14-2020, 08:03 PM

Default Zoom in 192kbps stereo

Just received this announcement from my university’s IT person. I haven’t tried it yet.

…latest round of features and enhancements to Zoom’s Desktop Client and Web Portal… To access these features, we highly encourage you to update to our latest version of Zoom…

High Fidelity Audio Mode: This option in Advanced Audio enhances “Original Audio” mode, allowing for disabling echo cancellation & post-processing, while raising audio codec quality to 48Khz, 96Kbps mono/192kbps stereo for professional audio transmission in music education and performance applications. Professional audio interface, microphone, and headphones are required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-28-2021, 04:02 AM

Default Re: Zoom in 192kbps stereo

That's interesting - thanks. Its nowhere near the quality of audiomovers, but a good start.

BTW do you have any experience with trying to teach audio with MS Teams? This year has been a shocker for me on mac!
Old 04-28-2021, 06:05 AM

No experience with MS Teams here. You?

Old 04-28-2021, 12:17 PM

Zoom has definitely some main areas to fix. It's been a year since the Zoom-Goldrush and still not available:

The ZoomAudioDevice is still limited to only 48kHz. No chance to share a 44.1kHz Pro Tools Session via Zoom unless you use other workarounds, like Loopback.
I show some of the limitations and workaround in my video:

https://youtu.be/dMu3C3cpVLg

Zoom recordings are still MONO, really??? Does the zoom team know hay many teachers have to record their classes (synchronous or asynchronous). Playing back the Zoom Session in mono makes Zoom pretty useless.
http://DingDingMusic.com/
YouTube Channel Music Tech Explained https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/
Old 05-13-2021, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurtMesaMusic View Post
No experience with MS Teams here. You?

Yes, it is a nightmare, esp. on mac. Despite the apparent teams on mac fix of what they call Public Preview - without software like loopback I have not been able to make it work. We have public preview and it has not worked for me using either High Sierra or Big Sur.

I cannot afford loopback at the moment (I may end up asking for my institution to buy it) so I am using workarounds like: this https://sway.office.com/7jfO0NEKxDTPDYxr?ref=Link and fortunately we were back in our larger studios teaching (socially distanced of course) from March.

If anyone else has other experiences I would be interested to hear...
Old 10-10-2021, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCanfer View Post
Yes, it is a nightmare, esp. on mac. Despite the apparent teams on mac fix of what they call Public Preview - without software like loopback I have not been able to make it work. We have public preview and it has not worked for me using either High Sierra or Big Sur.

I cannot afford loopback at the moment (I may end up asking for my institution to buy it) so I am using workarounds like: this https://sway.office.com/7jfO0NEKxDTPDYxr?ref=Link and fortunately we were back in our larger studios teaching (socially distanced of course) from March.

If anyone else has other experiences I would be interested to hear...
Not sure if you found a solution for this or not, but I use blackhole for routing inside my mac. its free
https://existential.audio/blackhole/

I'm trying to get Zoom to play audio back in stereo for participants, but have figured out to do this.
Old 10-10-2021, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarRothermich View Post
Zoom has definitely some main areas to fix. It's been a year since the Zoom-Goldrush and still not available:

The ZoomAudioDevice is still limited to only 48kHz. No chance to share a 44.1kHz Pro Tools Session via Zoom unless you use other workarounds, like Loopback.
I show some of the limitations and workaround in my video:

https://youtu.be/dMu3C3cpVLg

Zoom recordings are still MONO, really??? Does the zoom team know hay many teachers have to record their classes (synchronous or asynchronous). Playing back the Zoom Session in mono makes Zoom pretty useless.
I'm trying to get Zoom to play audio back in stereo for participants, but have figured out to do this. I have made the changes in Zoom for stereo and my online Zoom account have allowed users to choose stereo. For some reason Zoom only allows listeners to hear in mono. Have you found away for listeners to hear Pro Tools sessions in stereo?
Old 11-03-2021, 08:39 AM
Source Elements

We have a solution to properly send stereo audio into Zoom using Source-Nexus, see the following set up guide.

How to Send Stereo Audio into Zoom using Source-Nexus

Basically, there are several settings in Zoom that need to be configured a certain way, and then in order for Zoom to properly send the stereo signal, the input audio device to Zoom needs to be 2 channel only. If the input audio device has more than 2 channels, Zoom will only send mono.

Recordings made in Zoom will still be mono only.

[email protected] · www.source-elements.com

Source Elements Academy - Check our educational hub for remote collaboration professionals