Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 09-09-2020, 09:16 AM

Default Is my drive going to sleep?

I'm recording a vo just fine and we take a break for ten minutes. We leave PT as it is and when we come back, it seems frozen. I try to save and get this error: "Could not save because invalid argument (22) while opening msxVZHHRrscpXQVX. (I'm guessing that's a temporary address for saving).

Then I try to "Save As" and get this error, "Unable to create a new audio file on drive "Recording Drive" for track "Audio1.01" because invalid argument (22).

At this point I have to shut down and restart. My session comes back and nothing is lost,so I just continue on and it does "Save" on command now. What is happening here? I guess if I have to go to the bathroom I have to stop the session, save it and close down the computer.

Does the hard drive just shut down after a lack of activity? How could I check that and perhaps keep it awake!
I have a MacPro Mid 2012 running OSX 10.13.6 2x.44 6 core, 32 gigs PT 2019.6 and ATI Radeon HD5770 1024memory.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 09-13-2020, 10:22 AM

Default Re: Is my drive going to sleep?

What specific hard drives are you running? Spinners? SSD's?

QAPLA!
Old 09-13-2020, 08:09 PM

This is an example of leaping to a conclusion instead of following standard troubleshooting steps. And anytime you have a detailed error you need to Google for that error message.

This has nothing to do with your drive hardware or it going to sleep.

If you Googled for that error you would see past occurrences likely due to corrupt sessions, or maybe corrupt fade files, or corrupt preferences. So start by trashing prefs and exclude the session is corrupt by testing with other sessions, trying Save In, or tying importing audio content into an empty session if nothing else works. Still stuck come back here and describe exactly what you tried.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:03 AM

Some kind of drive/sleep issue seems like a reasonable thing to look at, but without more info on your system no one can be particularly helpful. Specific make/model of all your drives would be a good start.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6