How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 01-08-2021, 09:08 AM

Default Re: Dark Theme in Pro Tools 2020.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by iljunegate View Post
Hi, I read but I didn't understand how to do this tweaks.
Where's the procedure?
Thank you
You replace the whole file with the one I posted here. It's split between two posts because of the length of the file. Open OSX text edit and then copy and paste each section into a new file in text edit. Save that file with the name 'dark mode'.

Open the Applications folder on your Mac. You next right click on the PT program icon in the Applications folder and select 'show package contents'. Open the 'contents' folder. Next open the 'resources' folder. Next open the 'skins' folder. You should see a folder named 'dark'. Right click on that folder and do a 'get info'. Change the permissions of system and admin to 'read & write'. Close that window. Then open the 'dark' folder. To keep the existing dark mode file drag it to your desktop and save it to a good place. Then drag in the dark mode file you created in text edit. Should be good to go after a reboot. Do all this with PT closed.

QAPLA!
Old 01-08-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Thanks for the words. The doctors think it's not cancer according to the scans but they won't know until she goes for surgery on January 5th. If there's a surgery cancellation she'll be moved up. Same thing happened to me in 2007 with my intestinal surgery - I didn't know it was cancer until after I came out of post-op and I saw an oncologist.

I apologize for taking this thread in a completely different direction than it started. I just needed to let people know what's going on with me in case they needed help with the dark mode stuff and I didn't respond.
Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Hopefully your work and help in this thread will build some general positive karmic energy for you and your sis.

In that thought,,,, thanks agin . I just installed PT Ultimate on my brand iMac studio machine and installed your Dark theme mods. And it looks great.....
Let me try this again as this morning (Friday January 8 2021) I posted an update about my sister's condition but it and Macsearcher's reply have disappeared. She had her surgery Tuesday and they found no cancer. She expects to be out of the hospital in a day or two. Thanks all for the thoughts and prayers.

QAPLA!
Old 01-08-2021, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Let me try this again as this morning (Friday January 8 2021) I posted an update about my sister's condition but it and Macsearcher's reply have disappeared. She had her surgery Tuesday and they found no cancer. She expects to be out of the hospital in a day or two. Thanks all for the thoughts and prayers.

musicman691 that's great news about your sister!!

I am finally finishing up some projects and thinking about doing this mod. I've been using dark mode for a while and find it mostly ok, with the big exception of the Groups pane and the [lack of] difference between groups suspended or not. That said, I'm sure I'll like your mods even better.

A couple questions. Inside the path you specified: Pro Tools.app>Contents>Resources>Skins>Dark there is no "dark mode.txt" file, only a PTColors.txt file, as well as a couple of other files with .idb extensions.

Second, TextEdit on my system (10.14.6) only lets me save as .rtf, not .txt. Can I just change the extension to .txt in finder?

Thanks!!
Old 01-08-2021, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
musicman691 that's great news about your sister!!

I am finally finishing up some projects and thinking about doing this mod. I've been using dark mode for a while and find it mostly ok, with the big exception of the Groups pane and the [lack of] difference between groups suspended or not. That said, I'm sure I'll like your mods even better.

A couple questions. Inside the path you specified: Pro Tools.app>Contents>Resources>Skins>Dark there is no "dark mode.txt" file, only a PTColors.txt file, as well as a couple of other files with .idb extensions.

Second, TextEdit on my system (10.14.6) only lets me save as .rtf, not .txt. Can I just change the extension to .txt in finder?

Thanks!!
My error and thanks for catching that. It is indeed PTcolors.txt As to the .rtf thing I don't know but it wouldn't hurt to give it a try changing the suffix provided you first save the original file in a safe separate place.

It is indeed great news to hear about Marie (sis). She's had way too many surgeries in her 63 years on this third rock from the sun and I am glad she was able to catch a break.

If you want drop me an email using [email protected] with a regular email address and I'll send you the file I'm currently working with. It might be easier than trying to piece together the two forum posts.

QAPLA!
Old 01-08-2021, 06:03 PM

Quote:
She had her surgery Tuesday and they found no cancer. She expects to be out of the hospital in a day or two. Thanks all for the thoughts and prayers.
Amen! Continuing to pray for her quick recovery from the surgery.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 01-14-2021, 07:40 PM

I really like pro tools, but I don't like the dark mode as it affects my eyes directly. I turned off instantly.
Software Programming is all about managing complexity: the complexity of the problem laid upon the complexity of the machine. But in the end, it all comes down to 0 and 1. I write about Software Development on my blogs.
Old 01-15-2021, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleshollins View Post
I really like pro tools, but I don't like the dark mode as it affects my eyes directly. I turned off instantly.
Are you on Mac or Windows? If Mac grab the modified dark mode file I posted in this thread. If Windows - no help there. I don't know that anyone here has done a modified file for Windows users.

QAPLA!
Old 01-15-2021, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleshollins View Post
Let us know how it goes. There are a couple of different modifications being used by people here and elsewhere, each employing varying color options. I've settled into a custom dark mode that handles (almost) every issue I had with the default dark mode, and there were plenty of problems.
Old 01-15-2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Let us know how it goes. There are a couple of different modifications being used by people here and elsewhere, each employing varying color options. I've settled into a custom dark mode that handles (almost) every issue I had with the default dark mode, and there were plenty of problems.
As I mentioned the mods posted here are only for Macs. Nobody has posted working mods for Windows yet.

QAPLA!
Old 01-16-2021, 01:50 PM

FWIW I tried the latest edit to Dark Mode, which I really like BTW, but it messes up my Slate Raven setup. Just so you know. I have no idea why that would be... Oh well, the regular DM is still better than Classic IMNSHO.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCw...ogfR_7Q/videos

------------------------------------------------------
PT2023.12, OS X Monterey, Late 2013 MacPro, 6 core, 64 GB RAM, Orion Studio, Slate Raven MTi2, ISA428, ADL600, Distressor, Grace 501, Dimedio, Obsidian, One LA, BAC500, Harrison 32 EQ, UAD2 OCTO, Focal 6 be, Auratones...