Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 07-21-2011, 03:53 PM

Default Best Drive for PT9 Mac OS X 10.6.6

Hi

I understand that Raid drives don't work with PT9 - so what is the best drive to use ?

Many thanks
Old 07-21-2011, 06:58 PM

Lightbulb Re: Best Drive for PT9 Mac OS X 10.6.6

Pro Tools 9 Hard Drive Requirements [380567]
As for brands, I have a G-Drive Mini from G-Technology for my own MacBook Pro system and it works great.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Best Drive for PT9 Mac OS X 10.6.6

I have a Glypth external GT st 50 Q, as recording drive, I am told that it can take the abuse!!!!
I also installed 2x 2TB HITACHI internal and one WD internal 500GB, one is used as an internal back up and one holds Samples and MY BFD2 expansions. I recently started playing Abelton Lite 8 and put the studio files on that same BFD2 samples drive.
HD are not expensive but important to have the 7200 rpm and a large 23 mb or 64 mb buffer to process audio I have no experience with the G Drives. Purchased one for my son's system, but have not used it.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtuna View Post
Hi

I understand that Raid drives don't work with PT9 - so what is the best drive to use ?

Many thanks
Ah how about some requirements?

On what Mac?

For what exact purpose? Audio recording (presumably)? Archive/backup?

Does it need to be movable between computers? Other Macs? PCs? Does it need to be light/small/portable?

What capacity do you need?

Any other applciation need to use the drive (video editing etc?) even if not used concurrently? Details?

Since you mentioned it what lead to an interest in RAID? (that might drive some recommendations).

Darryl
Old 07-22-2011, 01:21 PM

System requirements don't matter if you're using it for an internal drive. Further than that, PT or a Mac or Windows doesn't care, internal or external - a good drive is a good drive is a good drive.

Notice how no one even mentions 10k rpm drives anymore? Noisy, hot... and the new (fast) drives will do just fine with your samples anyway.

Seagate Barracuda or Western Digital Caviar Black. Both of these are tops. I know some people will slag on the Seagate drives after their .11 version screwup, but I've got .12 versions in my machine and they are GREAT - fast, silent, effective, just like the ones before the .11s. But the WDs are good too - just make sure to get the BLACK, just like you should make sure to get the BARRACUDA - these are the top-line models of these manufacturer lines.

For boxes - hard to go wrong with Glyph. Expensive, but only you can place a value on that, whether it's "too expensive" or "worth it". They come with a nice carry-case too. In talking to them, they suggest that some competitor boxes come with underpowered power supplies, which leads to early hard drive failure. Even so, as long as I've used a FireWire box with an Oxford chipset and made sure I didn't plug the stupid FW plug in upside down, none have really been better or worse in my experience (except for LaCie and their poor FW socket mounting). You can just get a Macally FW drive enclosure and put whatever drive you want - it assembles in less than 5 minutes with a simple screwdriver, and even comes with shock-mount grommets on the mounting screws to help protect your drive (or at least they USED to).

Big deal is <9ms seek time as far as specs. Anything sub that really ought to keep up with your system. Bigger buffers are nice, but if it's got a slow seek time, your buffer will eventually run out.

That's all I can think of...
Old 07-22-2011, 02:08 PM

Check out avastor drives too, they are avid approved.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:58 PM

If your looking for an external drive, I'm loving my OWC mercury elite mini drive. I got the 500GB model and it is really cool. I power it off the FW800 buss and I'm good to go. Carry it back and forth between a Mac Mini and a MacBook Pro.

If you're going internal then that is a slightly different story.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:19 PM

OWC sells approved Pro Tools drives.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firew...W800_FW400_USB
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:55 PM

<This thread should be moved to the Storage subsection>

eSATA has been great for Pro Tools, and MacGurus www.macgurus.com are experts in this area. Their eSATA hotswap towers are a lot faster than Firewire, and cheaper in the long run. Check it out.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:15 PM

Backblaze Storage Pod 2

and I have some ocean front property for sale in Montana

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

PT11 System Requirements link http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/C...m-Requirements

Thank you,

Craig