Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 10-24-2006, 07:14 PM

Default Issue with Rtas plug ins and voice counts

Just recently made the big move from an HD2 on a PC to a Mac Pro with an HD1 (pcie). I assumed from all of the postings and data gathered from forums regarding the performace of the Quad, Mac pro that I'd be able to run sessions done on my HD2 system with my Mac pro, so long as I didn't exceed the voice count (in a 96k session, 48 voices). However, I was either wrong or I'm doing something wrong and I just haven't been able to figure it out.

This is the scenario:

I have a session that's 96k and it's maxxed out at 48 voices (3dsp). About half of the plug ins are not opening as expected, but I would have thought I'd be able to switch them over to rtas since the cpu usage is at less than 10% and I have 4 cores. When attempting to convert them to rtas I'm not able to because there are not enough voices available. I'm thinking I'm doing something wrong because this just doesn't make sence. I should be able to run as many rtas as possible, so long as they don't use up all of my system resources. ANYONE HAVE ANY INSIGHT?

****according to some of the posts I've seen on the LE forums, users have reported using up 239 rverbs natively. This in rtas would be much more than what I'm running on this one session.

LAST NOTE.... I turned off three tracks (6 voices) and was able to add rtas plug ins but my voice count maxxed out again after inserting 6 rtas plug ins. Again, it doesn't make sence. Why would 6 rtas plug ins (it may have been 8, i don't quite remember) use up 6 voices? It almost seems like my rtas plug ins are operating like TDM plugs. The plugs that are causing the issues are part of the WAVES DIAMOND BUNDLE.

system set up:
MAC PRO, 2.66 QUAD CORE, 2GB OR RAM
Digi 96i/o
HD 1 Pci-e
MAC OSX Tiger (10.4.8)
PT HD 7.2.1
Old 10-24-2006, 09:14 PM

Default Re: Issue with Rtas plug ins and voice counts

If your already in the TMD environment, it takes 2 voice to leave and comeback (disk [audio], cpu [RTAS] into the TDM mixer). So, what you need to do is make all the RTAS plugins first on all the audio channels. You only going to be able to use TDM plugs on the auxs. That's how you can get your session going. Hope this helps.
Peace,
Brandon
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 10-25-2006, 08:50 AM

Thanks for the input.... It almost worked!!! I was able to activate almost all plug ins, except for two Focusrite EQ's on auxillary channels that for some reason wouldn't work either Rtas or TDM because there are not enough voices. This really sux because My cpu isn't even at 15%, I have so much processing power left.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the input.... It almost worked!!! I was able to activate almost all plug ins, except for two Focusrite EQ's on auxillary channels that for some reason wouldn't work either Rtas or TDM because there are not enough voices. This really sux because My cpu isn't even at 15%, I have so much processing power left.
That's the way it works, quite reasonably I think. I think you should change some TDM plug-ins to RTAS to free one DSP chip and switch to 96 voices - you'll get what you want.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:26 PM

Quote:

That's the way it works, quite reasonably I think. I think you should change some TDM plug-ins to RTAS to free one DSP chip and switch to 96 voices - you'll get what you want.
I can't changed them all to rtas, that's the problem. 96 voices is not possible at 96k in an hd1, 48 is the most.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I can't changed them all to rtas, that's the problem. 96 voices is not possible at 96k in an hd1, 48 is the most.
Oh, sorry, I forgot. Soooo... maybe some "creative substitution"? ;-)
Moving plug-ins from aux to tracks can multiply them, but save some voices...
Old 10-26-2006, 03:57 AM

Or just render (bounce) a few tracks that are not likely to need [much] plugin activity, then disable the plugins (or duplicate the tracks and remove the plugins from the duplicated tracks) to free up dsp's.