Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools SE and Essential (Mac)

Old 01-11-2011, 09:40 AM

Default How to change buffering speed and record stereo

I was hoping to get some feedback on increasing buffering speed so that my sessions will stop being interupted with error DAE07. I'm starting to get the hang of this but that 1 thing is slowing me down.

My other question. Is there a work around to "recording" stereo into protools if I have the M-Audio with only 1 guitar out? I know I can record and mix after recording everything from mono but I prefer record my finished mixed instruments direct thru both channels. Is this possible or should I be looking for different software for a mac that does this?

Basically think of it as playing a CD from a outside source into a Mac via stereo so I can hear all the panning correctly and recording it onto computer/protools.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:52 AM
Avid

Default Re: How to change buffering speed and record stereo

The buffer can be increased by going to Pro Tools SE > Preferences > Audio and selecting Mixing or Producing. This setting can be used for recording.

Pro Tools SE software can record stereo sources, but the type of input depends on the interface that is connected (in your case the Fast Track). Can you please let me know what source you are trying to record in stereo?
Old 01-12-2011, 06:51 AM

Thanks for the suggestion Tim. I appreciate the fast response and will see if I continue to get the error after changing buffering.

As far as the source I'm using. I'm recording my finished instrumentals to a roland 890 workstation and looking to record this same mix, panned and mixed into my protools session the same exact way.

At one point I was recording the the music to a cd burner then going to the studio with the cd since the quality of the instrumentals usually come out good. The external cd burner broke, I ordered another off Ebay and was damaged too so I gave in and started recording into windows wave pad and never realized my instrumentals were being sent thru as mono AFTER doing two paid sessions. Didnt sound bad but noticed all the panning was lost. Thats how I ended up purchasing this product. Figured I could do the same, (translate my final mixed stereo instrumentals to the mac, record vocals over them and etc ).I know 2 tracking is not the best way to go however I'll spending more time recording mixing and etc the right way when I upgrade eventually. I can honestly say pro tools is not hard at all and didnt think I'd pick up this fast. Hope this helps

Thanks
Old 01-12-2011, 07:47 AM
Avid

Glad you are picking up Pro Tools SE quickly - I hope the preference change helps with your recording issues.

Unfortunately, the Fast Track isn't really designed for the kind of transfer from the 890 that you are wanting to do - for that you would need a MobilePre (also compatible and bundled with Pro Tools SE):
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MobilePre.html

Hope this helps.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:20 PM

No errors yet Tim. Great!

As for that http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MobilePre.html I was afraid you would say that after seeing most of the products on the site had two outs.

I specifically told the sales person what I was looking to do and he stressed the interface included was what I needed. Maybe the guitar center can meet me halfway if I trade in or whatever. Not that its a deal breaker but it would of been nice to know ahead of time. The SE version definitely has me anxious for the next upgrade.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Adnitt View Post
Glad you are picking up Pro Tools SE quickly - I hope the preference change helps with your recording issues.

Unfortunately, the Fast Track isn't really designed for the kind of transfer from the 890 that you are wanting to do - for that you would need a MobilePre (also compatible and bundled with Pro Tools SE):
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MobilePre.html

Hope this helps.
Tim I spoke with the guitar center and they ordered that Mobilpre for me, and I will purchase for half off. Will this work when I update to full protooks or is it limited to protools 9?

btw I recorded about 15 tracks yesterday and only received one Errror DAE07. So far so good.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:29 AM
Avid

Hi Lyvewire. Good news regarding the MobilePre. This interface will work with Pro Tools SE and full Pro Tools (Pro Tools 9). Glad the DAE error is now only showing occasionally too.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Adnitt View Post
Hi Lyvewire. Good news regarding the MobilePre. This interface will work with Pro Tools SE and full Pro Tools (Pro Tools 9). Glad the DAE error is now only showing occasionally too.
Thats great news Tim! Your the man. I'll be going to pick it up tomorrow. Cant believe how fast I learned this. My only regret is not doing it 10 yrs ago when it I first seen it at the guitar center. Better late then never.

Thanks for getting back.

The DAE07 error has increased to more frequently. When it does I close the protools and re-open it. Gets annoying sometimes when things are getting good but I look fwd to Protools 9 once I really master this...
Old 01-24-2011, 04:10 AM
Avid

No problem! Could you possibly post your system specifications so that we can look further into the DAE07 issue. I am not sure how familiar you are with this process, but if you haven't done it before:

1. Click on the Apple Menu > About This Mac.
2. Click the "More Info..." button.
3. Click on "Hardware" at the top left of the window.
4. Select the information in the right-hand pane, copy and paste.

Thanks.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:10 PM

Tim, I'm at work now but I'll certainly look tonight and post because I ceratinly want to know how to stop this error.

I have the 2010 Mac Mini

http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html

This is off the website

2.4GHz or 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
3MB on-chip shared L2 cache
1066MHz frontside bus
2GB (two 1GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM; two SO-DIMM slots support up to 8GB

Snow Leapord