Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools SE and Essential (Mac)

Old 08-22-2010, 02:43 AM

Default Just starting out...

Hi, im 18 and ive been into recording for about 3 years now, i decided to star getting alot of gear together and have come across some compatability questions that no one can answer properly,

I have been planning to Buy Pro Tools Le and put it onto my Imac, i also wanted to buy a Motu 8pre firewire and use that as my soundcard thing...

But i recently spoke to someone who said that i needed a dongle to run pro tools Le and that it would set me back another £400, they said that the mbox would act as a dongle, but i dont want it as it does the same job as the Motu???

Any sugestions, Ideas, i read about the Mbox micro??? does the same thing????

Help me Please...

Thanks, Tom
Old 08-22-2010, 03:10 AM

Default Re: Just starting out...

Basically, What do i need to get to be able to record???
Old 08-22-2010, 06:51 AM

Where to start....

First off try to avoid best buy. You need to go to a music store with actual musicians and/or engineers who can hopefully tell you what you need.

Pro Tools software needs a pro tools interface (or sound card thingy) to work. Pro Tools LE requires an Avid interface. Pro Tools M-powered requires an M-Audio interface. This is probably the one you would want to look at. Check out the Profire 2626.

Let me ask, what computer are you using? Pro Tools is very particular about hardware compatibility. Also, what DAW have you been using and what are you planning on doing with your recording setup (recording your band, just you, live performances, etc)?
Eleven Rack, Axiom 61
Old 08-23-2010, 06:29 AM

Hi, thanks for the reply,

I read up a bit more and if i buy LE i get an mbox with it, depending of how much i want to spend depends on which one i get (mbox micro, mini, pro etc..)

So thats the avid interface sorted and out the way yeah?? I can still connect another pre amp interface onto that to give me more channels?

The reason i wanted to get LE is because the University course im planning on doing has the HD system and LE is the closet one to that i can afford, Mpowerd doesnt seem to have the expansion im after...

I recently bought an IMac (3.06GHz Intel Core i3, 4GB memory, 500GB hard drive, OSX Snow Leopard) And am not loading it with anything else but pro tools... Was using cubase 5 in college

Planning to do a bit of everything, Enough stuff to run as a studio and also have the ability to take it out and record anything, ive recorded bands and live string sections, etc, my knowledge just needs to be expanded on understanding the software and you have helped me alot so far :P
Old 08-23-2010, 07:30 AM

Its more like you buy an mbox and get LE for free!

You can connect external pre's to the mbox via spidf, but you're not going to get 8 extra channels without adat light pipe available on the 003 rack +. spidf only gives you two additional channels.
Eleven Rack, Axiom 61
Old 08-23-2010, 08:35 AM

Ok so if i buy an Mbox pro cant i just daisy chain my motu into the firewire ports??
Old 08-23-2010, 09:05 AM

no
Eleven Rack, Axiom 61
Old 08-23-2010, 09:11 AM

I dont understand why not?? Thats what the other firewire port is for??

Pro tools seems a bit [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] if you cant link other products to it without spending thousands on HD...

How would you recommend i add other Pres and get them to work with LE and manage to record on separate tracks?? is the 003+ the only way?
Old 08-23-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colwill0311 View Post
I dont understand why not?? Thats what the other firewire port is for??

Pro tools seems a bit [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] if you cant link other products to it without spending thousands on HD...

How would you recommend i add other Pres and get them to work with LE and manage to record on separate tracks?? is the 003+ the only way?
S/PDIF is certainly one way.

But if you are looking for some kind of expandability from LE, you definitely need an 003. ADAT + S/PDIF gives you all kinds of options.

Pro Tools has always been like that, since day one. If you have a problem with that, I suggest you don't use Pro Tools.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 08-23-2010, 09:41 AM

you can add two pres via spdif to an mbox.

The 003 is going to give you the most io options with up to 18 inputs. 8 onboard, 8 ADAT, and 2 spdif.

If you go the m-powered route you can get a profire 2626 and maybe use the motu into that via light pipe, although I'm not sure.

To answer your other question, the extra firewire port is so you can link other firewire devices like an external hard drive. You're gonna need one of those too.
Eleven Rack, Axiom 61