Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools SE and Essential (Mac)

Old 11-20-2012, 09:33 PM

Default Re: No Sound From ANY instrument track!

Darryl, please re-read my post.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonafidejed View Post
Darryl, please re-read my post.
Reread my post, open the manual, start by following an example there exactly, tell us exactly what does not work and what instructions you are following. The point of this is its too easy to make any number of mistakes. And it does not help when lots of folks pile onto a thread thinking they have "the same problem". They might all have unrelated causes.

Also state versions of everything you are using, Pro Tools, each plugins, OS X, etc. etc.

Sometimes you just run into unknown problem with instrument tracks. Always try creating new tracks in a new session and see if that works (I had a problem last week where I could not get sound out either, never worked it out but moving all the VI tracks to another session worked fine).

Darryl
Old 11-21-2012, 07:47 AM

Darryl - I did read your post.

Quote:
And it does not help when lots of folks pile onto a thread thinking they have "the same problem".
That may be true, but the beauty of a message board is that someone can suggest a fix and then those who think they're having that problem can see if it works for them. When I found this thread I really thought I had the same symptom as everyone else. (Admittedly the root causes may be different.)

Darryl:
Quote:
Also state versions of everything you are using, Pro Tools, each plugins, OS X, etc. etc.
Jed - I did that in my original post:
Quote:
Hi, I just got Fast Track C600 and Pro Tools SE. MacBook Pro 15" OS X 10.8.2. Patched Pro Tools SE to 8.0.3.
Quote:
Sometimes you just run into unknown problem with instrument tracks. Always try creating new tracks in a new session and see if that works (I had a problem last week where I could not get sound out either, never worked it out but moving all the VI tracks to another session worked fine).
So I really don't have any projects yet since I just got this. The demo tracks don't work, so here are some VERY SPECIFIC steps to try and recreate:
1) Open Pro Tools SE.
2) From Quick Start, go to Demo Songs -> Reggae -> Reggae Demo 2. Then click Choose....
3) You will already be at the beginning of the session. Press the spacebar to play. NO SOUND COMES OUT. Press spacebar to stop.
4) Go to each of the four tracks and change the VI to Keyboards -> Jazz Organ.
5) Press the spacebar to play. Now every track is making sound (movement on the LED meters). It sounds terrible since this is not the right instrument. Press the spacebar to stop.
6) Change each track to its original instrument (top to bottom: Synth Horns, Clean Elec. Guitar, Finger Bass, Loose Drum Kit).
7) Press the spacebar to play. No sound. Press the spacebar to stop.

This morning, in frustration, I did a clean uninstall, rebooted, did a fresh install, rebooted, patched to 8.0.3, and rebooted. The issue appears to be exactly as it always has been.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonafidejed View Post
Darryl - I did read your post.

That may be true, but the beauty of a message board is that someone can suggest a fix and then those who think they're having that problem can see if it works for them. When I found this thread I really thought I had the same symptom as everyone else. (Admittedly the root causes may be different.)

Darryl:

Jed - I did that in my original post:

So I really don't have any projects yet since I just got this. The demo tracks don't work, so here are some VERY SPECIFIC steps to try and recreate:
1) Open Pro Tools SE.
2) From Quick Start, go to Demo Songs -> Reggae -> Reggae Demo 2. Then click Choose....
3) You will already be at the beginning of the session. Press the spacebar to play. NO SOUND COMES OUT. Press spacebar to stop.
4) Go to each of the four tracks and change the VI to Keyboards -> Jazz Organ.
5) Press the spacebar to play. Now every track is making sound (movement on the LED meters). It sounds terrible since this is not the right instrument. Press the spacebar to stop.
6) Change each track to its original instrument (top to bottom: Synth Horns, Clean Elec. Guitar, Finger Bass, Loose Drum Kit).
7) Press the spacebar to play. No sound. Press the spacebar to stop.

This morning, in frustration, I did a clean uninstall, rebooted, did a fresh install, rebooted, patched to 8.0.3, and rebooted. The issue appears to be exactly as it always has been.
While it does not seem to be the problem in your case, most Instrument track problems are just down to user confusion, and that is the reason for asking to start with a tutorial etc. we see all sorts of things, folks trying to record a audio mic for say a piano or acoustic guitar to an instrument track, Instrument tracks with no VI/plugin inserted on them. Audio tracks with a VI/plugin inserted on them. MIDI tracks setup wrong with VIs (easier/better to sue an Instrument track). etc. etc.

Some obvious through to maybe non-obvious things to try...

Make sure the VI plugin is not in bypass mode.

Try removing the VI plugin insert and reinstalling it

Even if its a demo session if might be corrupt or misconfigured, try creating a competently empty new session and recreating that track in that session.

Make sure the track that the VI is in is routed correctly and its output is set to main output or is bussed in a way to get to the main output. Checking other VI plugins work (as you have) proves this is OK.

If you go to each VI (check very different type) and open its UI do you see any errors? Things like error messages about content not being found etc. If there are errors about missing content try to spotlight to find the files. (You did a stock standard install with Pro Tool SE in the Application folder on the boot drive right?)

For all the VIs that have a UI where you can input things (e..g has a keyboard or play button like in Boom) Can you use the UI to make a sound? e.g. play the keyboard in the VI plugin UI?

Not all MIDI notes map to output for all VIs, especially drum VIs. If you click on a drum in the does it make a sound. To see if its getting midi data OK go into the midi editor and try moving a note or all notes up and down (double click on the track in the edit window to open the midi editor, then in the MIDI editor window grab notes with the hand tool and just slide it up or down, or type Command-A to select all the notes, and move them all up or down a few octaves) and see if you get anything to play. But that would only explain some of the problems you are seeing.

Your attempt to do full uninstall was a good one. Looks like you did use the clean option (which is important as it removes all the plugins) if not try that again. It may be worth doing again anyhow... do a clean uninstall and then manually remove any folders that were not removed, especially in ../Applications/Digidesign. And do the standard troubleshooting steps of deleting preferences and databases and repairing disk permissions described under the "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" link above on this web page. Make sure you follow the Lion instructions.

When you launch and use Pro Tools are there any errors begin generated on the System Console (run the OS X Console app to see, just look for anything that looks interesting/out of place).

----

With SE you cannot add any plugins etc. I'm not exactly sure what ones it comes with but if you did try to add any right? You've not added any third party software, just installed Pro Tools SE and the 003 updater?

Unfortunate most folks who post on DUC who know their way around Pro Tools and VIs etc. just don't have and don't use SE versions of Pro Tools. So many questions get asked here and never clearly get answered. Maybe somebody who has exactly the setup you you might see this.

I doubt SE is qualified/officially supported on Mountain Lion, but who knows what that means in practice.

Unfortunately Pro Tools SE appears to be a dead-end and unsupported product. Lots of the M-Audio line was sold to InMusic, but the C600 stayed with Avid. It is far from clear what this means for continued support, or if those products have any future at all. Avid may just be flushing the last of the old-stock out of the retail channel. Their whole foray into low-end consumer stuff did not go well.

If you cannot get this to work soon I would consider retuning the interface to wherever you purchased it. There are lots of third party interfaces to choose from. (If you purchased from somewhere like Sweetwater their support folks *might* be able to help you). Or you can use the C600 with Garage Band or Logic or another DAW software or consider upgrading to Pro Tools 10 (You have to buy a full retail license that will cost much more than the C600, and you may loose some of the VIs). Or try swapping it at the retailer for another Avid interface (Mbox or Eleven Rack) with Pro Tools 10 bundled.

And since you are on a Mac, Logic and even Garage Band are usually much easier to get stared with, Garage Band may be all you need, or Logic has some really nice midi editing/VI features that many folks prefer to Pro Tools. If you really want to do a lot of MIDI/VI work Logic is a great way to go. You interface will work with Garage Band and Logic via CoreAudio.

Darryl
Old 11-22-2012, 11:31 AM

Unhappy Re: No Sound From ANY instrument track!

I have Mountain Lion 10.8.2 and the same problem on my Mac Mini 2.4Ghz. The only instruments to work are five organs under Keyboards and all the Synth Leads. I have just received a response from Support:

"Please note that Pro Tools SE is not compatible with your OS, Apple Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion). This may be the cause of the issue. We tried to install it on our Mac 10.8 and the software won't even open."

They had no information on when or if a patch will ever happen and suggested I check the updates page at Avid occasionally. I suppose a bundled, "free" product will be low on the list of priorities. A pity, as I do like the Pro Tools interface.

I have to agree about Garageband - it is a very capable program, especially for beginners (like myself).