How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 12-11-2013, 08:54 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools constantly crashing while saving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I hope you guys complaining about a bug have fully removed all third party plugins (AAX and RTAS in the case of Pro Tools 10) and if that did not work, leave them uninstalled and do a uninstall of Pro Tools 10 and a reinstall. It is still possible for this to be plugin related bug.
I understand the point but does it mean that the only way to keep precious Pro Tools from crashing is to mix with stock plugins only?
UAD-2 Solo ExpressCard via Echo/Thunderbolt, 7.2.0
Sonnox Elite AAX, Lexicon PCM, Waves 9 Silver + Vocal AAX
Old 12-11-2013, 08:58 AM

Yep. Yank out that and all other Sonnox plugins from their folder and restart. If that does not fix things uninstall Pro Tools and do a reinstall. There has been other cases of crash on save problems caused by Sonnox stuff, e.g. http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=309096

Even if a crash report does not directly finger a plugin you *have* to always start by assuming a plugin is the most likely cause of a Pro Tools crash. It is still possible for memory to get corrupted etc. in ways that the plugin will not appear on the crashed thread or any other stack trace. And always just try removing plugins from their folders to try to find the culprit.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:35 AM

Default Pro Tools constantly crashing while saving

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1176LN View Post
I understand the point but does it mean that the only way to keep precious Pro Tools from crashing is to mix with stock plugins only?

Absolutely not, your job now is to be a careful detective and try to see if your Sonnox plugins are the culprit here. Check if they are absolutely up to date and you are running a fully supported configuration. Try moving all the Sonnox plugins out of their plugin folder (and verify they no longer show up in Pro Tools) and check if the problem goes away. If so put half of the plugins back and see if the problem reoccurs, keep doing that binary walk until you have isolated which plugin (or plugins) are causing the problem. You may or may not need to have the plugins instantiated in a track for this to show up and the problem may be very erratic/random--possibly making it very hard to identify what plugins-are really at fault. If the plugins are at fault hopefully it is only one or a few if them. And I would get in touch with Sonnox support as soon as you know their plugins are suspected here (e.g. If removing all of their plugins made the crash problem go away... they may already know what plugins to suspect).

Any tine a product like Pro Tools opens up the guts of it's system to allow third party developers to insert plugins into it there is always significant risk of problems. With AAX being new, and developers scrambling to meet customer needs and ship AAX-32 and AAX-64 plugins there is bound to be problems. The most important thing for users to do is to carefully trouble shoot problems, and as always, even before all the massive changes going on, when Pro Tools crashes, the first thing to suspect is plugins.

Please let folks here know what happens with your problem, if it turns out to be these plugins or not (and which ones if it does).
Old 12-11-2013, 09:46 AM

Actually, I already contacted the Sonnox support and received a reply a couple of minutes ago. They say there are no known issues which they're aware of, however, there are some troubleshooting steps I have to perform.
I'll post the results.
UAD-2 Solo ExpressCard via Echo/Thunderbolt, 7.2.0
Sonnox Elite AAX, Lexicon PCM, Waves 9 Silver + Vocal AAX
Old 12-11-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1176LN View Post
Actually, I already contacted the Sonnox support and received a reply a couple of minutes ago. They say there are no known issues which they're aware of, however, there are some troubleshooting steps I have to perform.
I'll post the results.

And if it does not look like your Sonnox plugins try to exclude any other third party ones.

And by any chance do you happen to be using Sonnox Codec toolbox? The same as in that other thread I posted?
Old 12-14-2013, 09:26 AM

I have that save-crash incident with NO plugins on a session. AND our 12 PCs in the college Pro Tools lab exhibit exactly the same behavior, so we've had to uncheck auto-save, and always count to 5 before doing a control-s to make sure it isn't rendering anything. I can re-create this consistently. Use the smart tool, draw in a fade at the end of a file, and do a ctrl-s before it's done, and it will give a "Can't save while translating tracks" error EVERY TIME, and on MANY different machines. It isn't a show stopper, but it makes it impossible to use session file backups.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:19 AM

I am confused. There is an awful lot of piling onto threads anytime people mention crash on save or simmilar. Does your problem look anything like the one in this thread?

You get a Pro Tools pop-up message and it does not save the file? Or is there an actual application crash or a Windows bluescreen as well? Where exactly is the "crash" in your case and have you posted some basic info like Sandra reports and the actual crash reports (from WER if a Windows app crash)? Link to past reports/threads? If the stack traces in the WER reports all look very similar just post one, otherwise post several.

What exact version of Pro Tools are you on--hopefully other folks can try to reproduce exactly that problem.

In case it might be a problem with plugins. When you say "no plugins on a session" I assume you just mean instantiated in the session ? To test if plugins are a possible cause you need to temporarily remove them (third party plugin files) from the Pro Tools plugin folder(s). Plugins loaded into Pro Tools but not instantiated in a session are quite capable of causing crashes or other problems. But so far, at least in this thread, there is no information about any actual crash you are seeing.

Even better start your own thread and post all the usual basic info asked for in the "Help us help you..." link above in this page. Provide the usual info and the stuff I have asked for above. Try to be as precise as possible about what is happening. If you are having application crashes it would help a lot to at least include one or more Windows app crash reports.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-14-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:36 PM

I was part of the onset of this very thread (the SECOND poster, if you'll look again) comparing similar instances across different platforms, confirming that there might be an issue that suggests some attention. What you need to try to understand is that we're confirming an identical problem. Point being, "Is this happening to anyone else?" Simple answer: yes. Oh, and the college computers have nothing but the stock DIGI plugins and we are experiencing the same issue.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:19 AM

You are confirming maybe similar symptoms. How do you know its an identical problem causing this? Have you looked at your own systems crash reports on Windows? What are the stack traces showing? Can you post some of those here. Are any other folks reporting anything to do with "Can't save while translating tracks" pop-up messages?

The first crash reported here was is on a Mac. The suspicion with that users systems now seems to be Sonnox plugins, at least from the other stack trace they have posted.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:44 AM

And do you want to know if the problem you are seeing is what others are seeing? If Avid is even aware of or trying to fix your problem? I just do not get the effort involved in making ten separate "I am having that same problem" posts vs. one clear post saying exactly what is going on for you and providing basic information like other users seem able to (this thread started with a nice crash stack report and includes a second one that may have been more interesting). And when I try to ask for more information from other folks you interject trying to obstruct this.

How hard is it to cut and paste a crash report? I am not asking you to understand it or be a developer, just to use cut and paste. Again you just seem to want to complain about a problem and not help track it down/isolate it or try to confirm it has the same likely cause as what other uses are seeing.

Avid engineering might well be all over this, might well know exactly what is going on, might know that several different reports of problems, some possibly related to plugins, some possibly not, might all have root cause(s) that they can reproduce, identify and fix in the next release. Or maybe not. I have no idea. But with years of managing software products and engineering teams if a problem was affecting me I would be providing crisp and clear problem reports that include at a minimum the crash report (and even better core files and Pro Tools logs) and working to make sure that Avid is fixing the *exact* problem I am having.

---

Sw rec did post a clear description about trying to save while rendering, and getting a Pro Tools error message. The only time I have noticed that being mentioned by anybody here as being associated with any crashes. Maybe other folks can say if that is a factor in any crashes they see. Maybe you could be bothered to say if you see that as a part if the problem you are seeing as well.