Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 03-14-2013, 09:23 AM

Default Reading SCSI drives used for Pro Tools

Hi,

I am trying to retrieve data from external SCSI drives used by friends of mine.
They are moving from one music studio to another (the previous one went out of business, and the new studio is not set up to read the SCSI drives containing their data).

I know that Pro Tools was used - but not the version, or the OS.
In reading the Avid site, I see that the program uses an external hardware key.
Should it be possible to read the drives (without corrupting them) without that hardware key?
I'm thinking that it should be possible to connect them to a SCSI controller and copy the data to a USB drive if the hardware key is not required to browse the drive, but could use some input/advice. Also, what disk formatting could be on these drives (need to make sure that the computer I use supports it).

Thank you
Old 03-14-2013, 09:40 AM

Default Re: Reading SCSI drives used for Pro Tools

Odds are good that the sessions were done on a Mac running an older version(like 5 or 6) and audio is probably in SD II format. Opening on a later Mac would probably work and allow for saving in wave or AIFF, and for adding PC compatibility.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-14-2013, 07:55 PM

Are these Audio Session Drives or Backup drives? To the best of my knowladge audio drives used standard drive formatting and should be readable by connecting them to a SCSI card. If by "Key" you mean MEZZO backup your going to have to send the drives to someone that has a working MEZZO system and key

If you need a SCSI card's you can usually find them on eBay. Knowing which SCSI card would be helpful as there a few standards. I dont know how backword compatible they are. ATTO and Adaptech were popular. Digi had some SCSI HBA cards of there own too i belevie. This stuff is just slightly before my time so most of my knowledge uis second hand.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 03-15-2013, 03:29 PM

Thanks! These would be audio session drives.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17atheart View Post
Thanks! These would be audio session drives.
You really should t have any issue if you get the right card to connect them to. You should post the drives model numbers and see if anyone can suggest the correct card type. You biggest issue may be that the SCSI drives and card were likely installed in a Mac. Now you need to find a MAC that will accept a PCI SCSI scared since any thing after the G5 is pretty much PCIe and the cards won't fit.

How big are these drives?

It may be possible to put the SCSI card in a PC running MacDrive and copy the files over to a HFS+ formatted external drive or transfer them across a network. Some one more knowledgable then I would have to comment on the possibility of stripping some resources forks if they are SD files. But I think that only happens if you save them to a windows formatted drive.

Hopefully If I'm way of base here some one will chime in.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 03-15-2013, 05:14 PM

The SCSI "speed" of the drives is really all you need to know. i.e if the drives are ultrawide SCSI-3, a SCSI II card isn't going to be able to read them. SCSI cards, with the correct adaptor cables, are however backwards compatible with older drives. You'll have to google SCSI formats to know what's what. It's too late for me to be able to help, as I made a conscious effort several years ago to purge my brain of all of the ultramegasuperduperdualchannel SCSI nonsense that you needed to know back then.

Some of the common models of SCSI card used with pro tools were ATTO UL2d, and ATTO UL3d. (Dangit, missed that in the purge!)

I might still have a UL2d in "Ye Olde Boxxe of SCSI parts" I could sell you, or just look on ebay, they're probably plentiful and cheap on there.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 03-15-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
The SCSI "speed" of the drives is really all you need to know. i.e if the drives are ultrawide SCSI-3, a SCSI II card isn't going to be able to read them. SCSI cards, with the correct adaptor cables, are however backwards compatible with older drives. You'll have to google SCSI formats to know what's what. It's too late for me to be able to help, as I made a conscious effort several years ago to purge my brain of all of the ultramegasuperduperdualchannel SCSI nonsense that you needed to know back then.

Some of the common models of SCSI card used with pro tools were ATTO UL2d, and ATTO UL3d. (Dangit, missed that in the purge!)

I might still have a UL2d in "Ye Olde Boxxe of SCSI parts" I could sell you, or just look on ebay, they're probably plentiful and cheap on there.
Umm.... I can match you with a Digidrive Ultra160/LVD Installer Disk, A DigiDrive Version 1 Disk and a ATTO ExpressRAID Installer disks.

But wait! Theres more.

Order before midnight tonight and receive a free Waves version#3 Installer disk at no extra charge.

Note: It's good to know the SCSI cards are backward compatible. I wasn't sure about that

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page