Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 02-23-2013, 09:40 AM

Default Opening large sessions - beachball

I'm doing a job where I am recording several songs back to back on the same timeline in the same session. It's about 72 tracks at a time, and the session has about 20 pieces in succession that are about 30 seconds each. When recording the system works great, no sluggishness at all. I can record, stop, then record again, stop, play, etc all without the session hesitating. The issue is when I close the session and then reopen it. It takes about a minute before I can get it to play... this happens both with the disk cache set to normal, and I've tried both 20GB and 10GB settings. I'm not sure what the computer is busy doing during this minute. The task window doesn't show anything going on.

Any suggestions on how to get it to be responsive when opening a large session?

I'm running 10.3.3 on a 2010 Mac Pro with 40GB of RAM. HD3 system.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:55 PM

Question Re: Opening large sessions - beachball

There isn't any kind of modal window that appears during the session loading process that indicates what is going on? Nothing that says activating inserts or shuffling DSP or anything else whose exact text escapes me at the moment?
Old 02-23-2013, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Opening large sessions - beachball

No, no window at all. I hit Spacebar, the audio doesn't play, the cursor doesn't move, then after about 5 seconds the beachball appears and stays for about 45 seconds. After 45 seconds the beachball disappears and the music plays.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:50 AM

Lightbulb Re: Opening large sessions - beachball

We are not talking about the same thing here. In your original post you wrote that the problem was with opening the session. In your response you are not writing about opening the session, but rather what happens after the session is open and you press play.

What is the size of your buffer? Are there any changes to the meters in the System Usage window while the SWOD is on the screen? I think Pro Tools may be trying to read everything in the session before playing. You may want to break each song into its own session and see if that makes a difference.