Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 12-30-2012, 08:37 AM

Default Re: Microphone suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamajack View Post
Is this the spec you are talking about?

Gain Range: 54dB (74 dB with Pad)
Yes......does this mean there is enough gain in the Mbox to get enough sound to record with out cranking the amp sky high?

BTW EVERYONE: I have a sm57 on the way.......I'm still looking at the cascade victor and trying to get some info on what i will need should i decide to get it too. Will I need a pre-amp for sure or will the Mbox have enough gain?
Old 12-30-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1redvettefor2 View Post
Will I need a pre-amp for sure or will the Mbox have enough gain?
Yes it has plenty, so no you don't NEED TO buy another mic pre because of that. Whole another reason would be if you some day WANT TO have a better-sounding preamp...
Old 12-30-2012, 09:49 AM

I didn't know the Mbox has that much gain. My old first gen mbox didn't have that much. But yes you should probably be okay. If not you can try something like the cloud lifter.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
I didn't know the Mbox has that much gain. My old first gen mbox didn't have that much. But yes you should probably be okay. If not you can try something like the cloud lifter.
The Mbox 3 family products (assuming that is what is being discussed here?) has 54 dB gain preamp and a -20dB pad which Avid's silly marketing describes as a "74 dB gain range". It should be obvious from how it is written on the spec sheets but it is clearly confusing some people. Pretty poor behavior on Avid's part.

This is all a waste of time worrying about now, get recording. Skill, practice and the Peavy modeling amp are much more likely weak links here than what mic is used.

Darryl
Old 12-30-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Nope, its not an issue because you need to go buy an SM57 and plug that into your Mbox Mini and work out that recording a good tone is most all about playing and recoding skill and not wasting time here going on about microphones when you have not done anything yet.
This is the best advice yet.

Take the sm57 and try out positioning, distance, angles, room acoustics... You will learn how it behaves and sounds, and THEN you will be more in a position to know what you need, and which mic will suit you.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
The Mbox 3 family products (assuming that is what is being discussed here?) has 54 dB gain preamp and a -20dB pad which Avid's silly marketing describes as a "74 dB gain range". It should be obvious from how it is written on the spec sheets but it is clearly confusing some people. Pretty poor behavior on Avid's part.

(Snip)

Darryl
That makes more sense. I didn't think it would have over 60db of gain. However if you can get a clean 54db that could be useable with a ribbon on an amp. If not the cloudlifter is an option.

And I mentioned earlier to start with a 57. Learn it inside and out. Once you can dial it in on an amp, you can dial in almost any mic on an amp.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:35 PM

Talking Re: Microphone suggestions?

Quote:

This is all a waste of time worrying about now, get recording. Skill, practice and the Peavy modeling amp are much more likely weak links here than what mic is used.

Darryl
I agree totally that a modeling amp may not have the best tone BUT it does also have the tube amp which is where i stay most of the time.....so it was what i considered a good mix for the price.

When I get a million dollar recording contact I'll buy a wall of Mesa Boogie amps
Old 12-30-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1redvettefor2 View Post
I agree totally that a modeling amp may not have the best tone BUT it does also have the tube amp which is where i stay most of the time.....so it was what i considered a good mix for the price.

When I get a million dollar recording contact I'll buy a wall of Mesa Boogie amps
Exactly, and with those Mesa Boogie amps you can buy your second cab microphone...

Darryl
Old 12-30-2012, 03:39 PM

Audix i5 or SM57.