Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 12-27-2012, 03:24 PM

Default 1st time pt 10 user

i noticed pt 10 says 4 gigs of ram mininmun but my laptop only has 3 gig of ram i just ordered pt 10 will it install correctly and if not how can i help this either free or very cheap????
Old 12-27-2012, 03:27 PM

eBay laptop memory - it's so cheap right now u might As well get 8gb
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:37 PM

Default Re: 1st time pt 10 user

ok thanx will i have to open up the pc and do it myself???
Old 12-27-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 201spotlite View Post
ok thanx will i have to open up the pc and do it myself???
Yes but it's very easy to install RAM on laptops (and PCs, for that matter...). If you don't know how to do it, a quick google search for a youtube howto for your particular laptop model will demonstrate how. Again, it's very easy, so you shouldn't worry too much. If you're skittish about doing anything on your own, you can always take it to a Best Buy-type place, and they'll do it for you (for a fairly hefty fee of course), but honestly if you can open the lid to a pickle jar, you can install laptop RAM.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:20 PM

2 things to check before you buy RAM. First, open the cover on the bottom of the laptop so you can see how many slots are there, and how many sticks of RAM are there. If you have 2 slots AND 2 sticks, you will need to remove the smaller stick(you likely have a 2GB stick and a 1GB stick, so you would remove the 1GB stick and replace with another 2GB stick that is an exact match of the original). You might also consider removing BOTH sticks and dropping in a pair of 4GB sticks for a total of 8GB(recommended if you have Windows 7 or 8 64 bit)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-28-2012, 05:16 AM

Peripheral to this is finding out how much ram the op's computer can really take. Crucial has a nifty online tool that helps with that assuming the computer is in their database (and most are).

QAPLA!
Old 12-28-2012, 01:34 PM

Question Re: 1st time pt 10 user

ok kool and yes i do have windows 7 64 bit and i also will look in the bottom to see plus ill go on crucial to do that check someone mentioned and im pretty fair with my hands so i probably can do it myself ill google it.. appreciate the feedback.. how can i tell how much ram the os can handle?/
Old 12-28-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
ok kool and yes i do have windows 7 64 bit and i also will look in the bottom to see plus ill go on crucial to do that check someone mentioned and im pretty fair with my hands so i probably can do it myself ill google it.. appreciate the feedback.. how can i tell how much ram the os can handle?/
Since you're running Windoze 64 bit the amount of ran the os can handle isn't relevant in this case; it's probably more than your computer can have in it. The limiter is how much the computer can have.

QAPLA!
Old 12-30-2012, 10:04 AM

ok thank im looking into the maximium amount of ram it can handle and does virtual ram help any and on the tutorial i watched on youtube they were saying dont save to hardrive in pc save to external does this help in processing any?? i have plenty of extrnal space and i have a usb stick with 32 gigs just in case
Old 12-30-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
ok thank im looking into the maximium amount of ram it can handle and does virtual ram help any and on the tutorial i watched on youtube they were saying dont save to hardrive in pc save to external does this help in processing any?? i have plenty of extrnal space and i have a usb stick with 32 gigs just in case
What is "it" the laptop, Windows or Pro Tools?

What is "Virtual RAM"?

just stick a matched pair of the largest SODIMMs you can in this laptop (whatever the laptop hardware can take) and be done. DRAM is cheap.

Pro Tools is limited to around 4GB itself, that will increase in the next major release. There is no timeline cache feature in standard Pro Tools (what you *might* be referring to). that is only in Pro tools HD and with the CPTK option.

Go google pro tools systems requirements. You need a dedicated audio-spec drive for audio/session files. that needs to be 7200 rpm or faster or an SSD drive.

Before asking any more questions here read the " Help us help you--read this before posting" link on this web page and include a Sandra report for you laptop. A USB flash stick is unlikely to be suitable for audio/session drive. Yes they can work but most if them are just not designed to work as well as a real SSD drive.

Darryl