Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 06-17-2012, 08:06 PM

Default Problem with my PT songs when put on my ipod

Hopefully I can explain this clearly, I'm having issues with my pro tools songs when I put them on my ipod. I recorded, mixed, and mastered the tracks in PT 10 on a Mac. When I listen to them through my monitors and headphones, the songs sound fine. When I add them to iTunes and listen to them in iTunes, they sound fine. When I burn them to a disc from iTunes, the songs on the disc sound fine but when I add the songs to my iPod and then listen to them on my iPod, there is a nasty sounding distortion. Not really sure how to describe the distortion, it kind of sounds like clipping but it doesn't occur like typical clipping. I know the problem isn't clipping because the sound is not present at any other time except for when listening to it on my ipod.

Anyone else ever ran into this? Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 06-17-2012, 11:32 PM

Default Re: Problem with my PT songs when put on my ipod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11R Newbie View Post
Hopefully I can explain this clearly, I'm having issues with my pro tools songs when I put them on my ipod. I recorded, mixed, and mastered the tracks in PT 10 on a Mac. When I listen to them through my monitors and headphones, the songs sound fine. When I add them to iTunes and listen to them in iTunes, they sound fine. When I burn them to a disc from iTunes, the songs on the disc sound fine but when I add the songs to my iPod and then listen to them on my iPod, there is a nasty sounding distortion. Not really sure how to describe the distortion, it kind of sounds like clipping but it doesn't occur like typical clipping. I know the problem isn't clipping because the sound is not present at any other time except for when listening to it on my ipod.

Anyone else ever ran into this? Any suggestions?

Thanks
What format, bitdepth/resolution are the files you're putting on your ipod?

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 06-17-2012, 11:37 PM

It could be an issue if you selected auto conversion to lower quality when syncing the ipod in iTunes. There is an Option for that, so that iTunes converts everything to AAC 128 when syncing your iPod.

IF you have pretty loud mixes that are up to nearly fullscale -0.4 dbFS Peak and with a hight RMS Level,
somethig people often do for CD, they can get distorted when converted to mp3 or AAC in lower quality. For mpeg conversion you should try to not get past -2 or even -3 dbFS to prevent distortion when converting.

This is my only idea so far.

Sebastian

PS: Loud does't equal good
Old 06-17-2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basstian View Post
It could be an issue if you selected auto conversion to lower quality when syncing the ipod in iTunes. There is an Option for that, so that iTunes converts everything to AAC 128 when syncing your iPod.

IF you have pretty loud mixes that are up to nearly fullscale -0.4 dbFS Peak and with a hight RMS Level,
somethig people often do for CD, they can get distorted when converted to mp3 or AAC in lower quality. For mpeg conversion you should try to not get past -2 or even -3 dbFS to prevent distortion when converting.

This is my only idea so far.

Sebastian

PS: Loud does't equal good
Well said, and good advice.

iTunes does have a lot of auto-convert settings on by default that can ruin the quality of audio and video, as well as give you some strange file sizes. Considering a modern iPod can play wavs and aiffs no problem, I tend to put full size files of my favourite tunes on mine.

At the same time... letting iTunes auto-convert the music you mix/master is not a bad idea because it gives you an idea of what it might sound like for the majority of users.

Now, Apple does have a tutorial and some tools regarding mastering songs specifically for iTunes. There is some debate over whether or not it makes any significant difference, but it might be worth a glance in your case.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/mastered-for-itunes/

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 06-18-2012, 03:12 PM

Thanks for the responses. I will check out the sync options and if that doesn't work I'll try a reduced volume. I don't think my finished products are crazy loud but they are having to try to compete with "commercial" quality tracks so it is what it is. I agree that loud doesn't necessarily mean better but when you are going up against "commercial" quality products, you've got to be close to that same volume or your work is deemed not as good by the average listener, even if the quieter song is recorded/mixed/mastered better. It is just the audio world we are currently living. That is my humble opinion on the matter anyway.

Thanks again for the responses.

To answer the question about rate & resolution, they are 24/96 wav. I imported them into iTunes and then converted them to AAC because like you said, that is how everyone is listening to music these days.

The thing I don't understand is if the conversion from 24/96 wav didn't cause the distortion, which I know it didn't because I can listen to the AAC file in iTunes and it sounds fine, then how come the aac file can be fine in iTunes and burned to a CD but not be fine on my iPod. It's crazy.

Thanks again, I'll give your suggestions a try.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:45 PM

Are you using a dithering plugin to convert from 24bit to 16bit when you "master" in PT prior to importing to iTunes?
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)
Old 06-18-2012, 03:58 PM

Does the ipod play other tunes OK? Do you have automatic volume control on your ipod?

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:48 PM

Have you tried either listening through your iPod phones(ear buds or what ever you use) on your computer. And have you tried using your studio headset on your iPod. I have noticed that when trying to push the volume barrier my iPod can distort easier than my computer. I will check my mixes with my earbuds on the computer and use my Beyer Dynamics on my iPod to make sure it's clear. Also when the volume is too loud on the iPod certain mixes distort if they are to loud. Purchased songs dont usually but certain bass heavy stuff reeks havoc on my earbuds. Just a thought.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:17 PM

I did not have the auto conversion option selected when syncing so that wasn't the issue. I tried putting the songs on my iPod from a PC and I also did it from a Mac, the audio is problematic on the iPod no matter which computer it came from.

I'll get around to trying the dither and/or reducing the overall volume but I still don't understand how the AAC file is fine in iTunes and when burned onto a disc but the exact same file isn't fine when on my iPod, that just doesn't make sense to me.

My iPod plays all other songs fine, I have the iPod EQ set to off or flat, whatever they call it and I do not have the auto volume turned on, I think they call it Soundcheck.

I have listened to the songs on different headphones in iTunes and on my iPod. I've used earbuds, crappy Sony headphones, and Beyer Dynamic DT 770 Pros.

Thanks for all the replies and ideas. I really appreciate it.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:50 PM

To answer the why it can be different on your iPod question:
Because your iPod is using less quality converters than your Mac.
First of all. Try to reduce sample rate and bit depth using PT and not iTunes.
Import the 16 bit and 44.1 kHz into iTunes and convert that. remember to not using the FS try to not hit more than -2 dbFS that is what commercial stuff uses, when mastered for iTunes.

If It still is distorted you probably should try to listen to it on someone else's iPod or Phone to make sure that it is not an issue with your device.

If a song is good people will like it and listen to it. No matter if it is as loud as something else. And for radio airing they use optimods anyway. That makes everything the same loudness and sound

So don't care about that. A good mix is a good mix and evolution is still not that advanced that mankind got rid of their fingers to turn up volume. So you should be fine with a good mix even if, or even better if it is not too loud.

Just my opinion.

Basstian