Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2009, 09:18 AM

Default Pro Tools 7 - analog warmth

I am running Pro Tools 7 on a MAC. I have a Universal LA-610 that I use for my primary pre-amp and also a Presonus M80 (8 channels). After the recording is done, I've heard some other engineers talk about running the tracks individually out of Pro Tools, through some kind of analog device for more warmth, and then back into Pro Tools. Do you think it's worth it do something like this for each track or just the whole mix at the end? If so, is there any single channel or multi-channel gear you can recommend? Thanks.
Russ Meuchel
Ember Recording Studio
Warren, MI
586-530-4752
Old 04-19-2009, 09:23 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 7 - analog warmth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeuchel View Post
I am running Pro Tools 7 on a MAC. I have a Universal LA-610 that I use for my primary pre-amp and also a Presonus M80 (8 channels). After the recording is done, I've heard some other engineers talk about running the tracks individually out of Pro Tools, through some kind of analog device for more warmth, and then back into Pro Tools.
If you've got 2 months to mix a song....why not?

or use Massey's Tape-Head. :)

cheers,
rich
Old 04-19-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeuchel View Post
I am running Pro Tools 7 on a MAC. I have a Universal LA-610 that I use for my primary pre-amp and also a Presonus M80 (8 channels). After the recording is done, I've heard some other engineers talk about running the tracks individually out of Pro Tools, through some kind of analog device for more warmth, and then back into Pro Tools. Do you think it's worth it do something like this for each track or just the whole mix at the end? If so, is there any single channel or multi-channel gear you can recommend? Thanks.
Russ Meuchel
Ember Recording Studio
Warren, MI
586-530-4752
Whether you use outboard gear or use ITB plugins, warming individual channels is going to have a different feel than warming the final 2-track mix.

Hassan
Old 04-19-2009, 10:30 AM

Personally, I think it's worth adding plugins to do this---I do it ALL the time. In the studio, I'm able to get the sound I want on the front-end, but sometimes I want a little more. When I record live, I'm much more limited. I use the Aphex Big Bottom plugin on my Toms, Kick, and Bass guitars just for a fatter definition that EQ doesn't provide....I use McDSP Analog Channel as I see fit, as well. It's with any tool, use to your liking---but at the same time, don't depend on it or use as a crutch.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:26 PM

hey russ, do you have an analog board or deck you can run it through to check it out?
if so, just do it and educate yourself what those differences are and if you like it then you can use you analog gear as a big fat plug!
if you don't have any check with friends or neighboring studios to see if you can borrow their gear for a day; it's a real ear opener...
back in the day, when we first got pur hd rig we posted the results as a double blind test so none of our producers or engineers knew what they were hearing and the results wrere quite surprising.
b.o.l.
e
Old 04-19-2009, 06:52 PM

I have a Mackie Mixer that I could run through and back in. I also have a friend who has some analog gear that I could borrow. Do you have any specific suggestions as far as the gear? Thanks again for the advice!
Russ
Old 04-19-2009, 07:04 PM

How happy are you with the McDSP Analog Channel product?

What do you think of the results versus actually running it out to analog outboard gear and back in?

Thanks again!
Russ
Old 04-19-2009, 08:20 PM

Kenny Gioia's done a very elaborate, extensive post, with examples / shootouts between summing outside of The Box, in Analog world, v.s ITB summing.

Check it out, make your comparisons, and fire off Kenny an e-mail for the answers to "What is What"

I haven't checked it out yet, but I plan on it, I know if it came from Kenny, it'll be meticulous, and a well controlled real world comparison.

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=220373

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App