Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2011, 05:30 PM

Default The most unimportant thread about PT 10

Avid should have called this update 9.3 or 9.4 or something. They wasted their big 10 on this. 10 Could've been a game changer. 64bit, Freeze, offline bounce, and unlimited tracks...unlimited tracks.

I remember in 7.4 they released elastic audio....that was WAY bigger than what they released in this on and that wasn't a whole number or anything.

Again...pointless thread but I thought I would just point it out since I've read that no one else has. Their marketing team must be MIA since 2007.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:39 PM

Default Re: The most unimportant thread about PT 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet View Post
Avid should have called this update 9.3 or 9.4 or something. They wasted their big 10 on this. 10 Could've been a game changer. 64bit, Freeze, offline bounce, and unlimited tracks...unlimited tracks.

I remember in 7.4 they released elastic audio....that was WAY bigger than what they released in this on and that wasn't a whole number or anything.

Again...pointless thread but I thought I would just point it out since I've read that no one else has. Their marketing team must be MIA since 2007.
Elastic Audio was a big deal. But other than that Digi kinda sandbagged the releases.

6.7 = Instrument tracks. Yay.

7.0 = couple tracks and busses if memory serves. Wow!

7.1 = Intel mac compatibility. Handsprings...

7.3 = HFS+ support. Woot! Pretty Ho-Hum so far.

7.4 = Elastic Audio and a host of data corruption issues that get finally get solved.

8.0 = Creative Collection, Major Midi improvements, more busses and tracks, CPTK adds a ton of HD features and consoldates the MPTK and DVTK into one super toolkit. Adds a bunch of Busses. Rough around the edges but the wrinkles get ironed out. Great release with the MIDI composer and small studio user in mind.

PT9= Adds ADC!, Tons more tracks and busses, breaks the hardware requirement's etc. Awesome! Best update for the native crowd ever.

PT10 = New plug in format, Nice channel strip, 16K ADC buffer, Mixed media on the time line, Clip gain, large file support, 32bit audio added support for new files types etc. Disk Cache. Many feature for the post crowd. By all accounts it been well beta tested and is pretty stable. Whats not to like from a feature standpoint other than the lack of Disk Cache in the standard software version.

Guess what? The three best PT updates have happened since Avid took over 2007. I know that doesn't fit well with the current "Avid Sucks" philosophy but the features per release speak for themselves. Go back and look at all of the Whats New PDF's and compare.

Now granted a whole bunch of these features can be viewed as "Catch up Ball" but most are well implemented and they seem to be picking the pace up with the releases. Which for some strange reason people complain about. PT is now positioned for the transition to 64bit. Theres a solid road map laid out that lets everyone know whats supported and gives the third party partners a chance to get up to speed and be ready when the next version of PT launches. Short of already being 64bit and incorporating things like track freeze and offline bounce that will come with the next audio engine I'm not sure that PT could be in better shape without totally breaking things. Perhaps this should have happened years ago but reality says that there wasn't much point it it until the mainstream OS's and hardware went 64bit.

Apple set the new trend in versioning when they jumped from 8 to 10.

PT 8-9-10 have come a long way and added a lot of features. Especially since the advent of Ideascale. Have they added all of the most requested features? No. I suspect however that PT11 will add a lot of the remaining top ten.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 10-31-2011, 07:55 PM

Well put.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-31-2011, 10:08 PM

Default Re: The most unimportant thread about PT 10

I was trying to point out that there have been some pretty significant improvements and features added for each group of users over the last three releases.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88