Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 07-03-2016, 08:17 AM

Default Should I Buy Before Sierra?

Has anyone heard how soon all new Macs will ship irreversibly with Apple's newest OS "Sierra"? Given Avid's shaky record on getting PT up and running solid on new OS iterations, should I buy a new iMac now and deal with the imperfect (but working) El Capitan?

And Daryll Ramm, if you're out there I'd love to hear your take on this. You coined the term "OS churn" in regard to Apple's obsessive output of operating systems.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:40 AM

Default Re: Should I Buy Before Sierra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlerbri View Post
Has anyone heard how soon all new Macs will ship irreversibly with Apple's newest OS "Sierra"? Given Avid's shaky record on getting PT up and running solid on new OS iterations, should I buy a new iMac now and deal with the imperfect (but working) El Capitan?

And Daryll Ramm, if you're out there I'd love to hear your take on this. You coined the term "OS churn" in regard to Apple's obsessive output of operating systems.
Considering the OS won't ship until the Fall (likely Oct/Nov) you have until then at least. Ironically, early reports are that Sierra fixes GUI issues with PT.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:24 AM

Thanks Drew. Perhaps the best action to take would be to buy earlier with El Crappo and then if Sierra gets good marks from the DUC folks I can always update.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:50 AM

What Mac are you looking at? I would be holding off many Mac purchases since Apple badly needs to get Thunderbolt 3 support in the market. And many Macs are so badly in need of other technology refreshes/performance updates anyhow.

El Capitan is one of the utterly worst OS X releases in many years. For a tock/minor update release it was a mess, not just for Pro Tools users. Any idea of worrying about staying on that release seems a bit strange.

I would hold off and wait, worse case you can always buy a referb Mac.

Yes Apple OS churn is bad, they are driving vendors and users crazy, and that just works terribly with a less capable/slower moving vendor like Avid. But on many things related to El Capitan my frustration is with Apple not Avid. Apple especially had early warnings of things like USB audio and graphics problems (not just with Pro Tools) and still went ahead and rammed this release down users throats.

It's just in this case the Mac product line is so badly in need of refreshes, especially Thubderbolt 3, that I would tend to want to ride the bleeding edge here more with Sierra, and as Drew pointed out early reports seem good on Sierra. I have not had time yet to run it up myself.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:31 AM

Hi Darryl,
I'm the guy who PM'd you about buying the new iMac 27" with an i7, minimal RAM (that I would beef up with 3rd party sticks), and a flash drive. Your response was great but you also encouraged me to take my question to the DUC. I did and got a lot of good advice, including more from you.

You bring up another worrisome element. Thunderbolt. It seems like Thunderbolt and T2 have been pretty good but any word of Apple incorporating T3 anytime soon? And if they do how will that affect Thunderbolt interfaces (like the Focusrite Clarret 2Pre I'm considering)? Any word of Apple abandoning T-bolt for USB-c?

Like anyone, I want to buy a computer/interface combo that works well and will work for a reasonable amount of time before obsolescence. I really appreciate the advice/conversation.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlerbri View Post
You bring up another worrisome element. Thunderbolt. It seems like Thunderbolt and T2 have been pretty good but any word of Apple incorporating T3 anytime soon? And if they do how will that affect Thunderbolt interfaces (like the Focusrite Clarret 2Pre I'm considering)? Any word of Apple abandoning T-bolt for USB-c?
I think you need to read up.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2930...sb-c-port.html

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:50 AM

Ah, thanks Drew. Very informative. So now we wait to see what Apple does with its Macs in terms of ports. Jason Snell thinks its inevitable that all Macs will eventually have T3. But it's hard to predict the timeline of the phone and tablet company that has become Apple.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:03 PM

Apple will go to USB-C ports for Thunderbolt 3, they have no choice in that.

Wether a physical USB-C port delivers USB 3.1 (and what exact spec of 3.1), Thunderbolt 3 and/or DisplayPort is up to the implementation, so expect a lot of mess/confusion in this area in future. I severely hope that all new Macs will have some USB-C ports with Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3.1 support and several more USB-C USB 3.1 ports. And real 10 Gbps USB 3.1 Gen 2, not the pretend 5 Gbps USB 3/3.1 Gen 1 silliness.

Thunderbolt audio interfaces should work with Thubderbolt 3 with a suitable adapter. Emphasis on *should* until we see it working....
Old 07-03-2016, 12:14 PM

And here is more speculation about timing of an iMac refresh.
http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/mac/n...is-vr-3511338/
Old 07-09-2016, 04:43 PM

I'd honestly go down to Yosemite. There are still some laptops released prior to the release of El Capitan. Although they ship with them you can downgrade to Yosemite.