Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Additional Resources

Avid @ NAMM 2018

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 01-07-2018, 07:55 AM

Default Re: So, latency on HD Native vs HDX?

Agreed, misinformation. I am a TDM user and regularly track live sessions of 50 plus tracks while providing 16 cue mixes to musicians. Latency doesn’t “add up”, but rather is dictated by selective use of plug-ins suitable for the job. I follow a rule that 2.5 ms is the absolute limit of overall system delay when providing cues to musicians from a Pro Tools session. This means very judicious use of plug-ins (strictly TDM, no look ahead, etc.j and removing delay compensation from any reverb plug-ins. The latency only “adds up” if I fail to observe these simple rules.

Btw it must also be kept in mind that there is approximately 2 ms of latency in a session with no plug-ins at all. This is the round trip delay caused by A to D and D to A conversion. This is common to virtually all digital consoles and recorders as well. In the digital world there is no such thing as zero latency.

My 2.5 ms rule comes from the fact that it takes 2.5 ms for the sound of a snare drum to reach the ears of a drummer. So if the drummer is wearing ears with a cue mix provided by me there is, in essence, no latency.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:10 AM

Default Re: So, latency on HD Native vs HDX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artysan View Post
Agreed, misinformation. I am a TDM user and regularly track live sessions of 50 plus tracks while providing 16 cue mixes to musicians. Latency doesn’t “add up”, but rather is dictated by selective use of plug-ins suitable for the job. I follow a rule that 2.5 ms is the absolute limit of overall system delay when providing cues to musicians from a Pro Tools session. This means very judicious use of plug-ins (strictly TDM, no look ahead, etc.j and removing delay compensation from any reverb plug-ins. The latency only “adds up” if I fail to observe these simple rules.

Btw it must also be kept in mind that there is approximately 2 ms of latency in a session with no plug-ins at all. This is the round trip delay caused by A to D and D to A conversion. This is common to virtually all digital consoles and recorders as well. In the digital world there is no such thing as zero latency.

My 2.5 ms rule comes from the fact that it takes 2.5 ms for the sound of a snare drum to reach the ears of a drummer. So if the drummer is wearing ears with a cue mix provided by me there is, in essence, no latency.

I know we [we, in a general sense] have gone round and round on this issue, but I have to add that justifying latency by saying that musicians are subject to some degree of "natural latency" during live performance is a red herring [not a true argument].

You want to eliminate all latency, irregardless. Recording in the studio is not the same [and not supposed to be the same] as playing live. What makes studio recordings "better" and "tighter" is the fact that headphones allow everyone to monitor themselves, and the rest of the band, precisely. You are not going for the same sound or feel in the studio as what you get when the guitarist is 300 feet away from the bass player on a concert stage [or even 15 -20 feet away from the floor monitors or sidehills].

Also, there is a whole lot more happening, on many levels, that allows musicians to play in sync as a live band, in space.

What digital does, unfortunately, is add an unnatural layer of timing discrepancies that do not have any basis in, or relationship to, the actual physical situation that the players are in.

Anyhow. We soldier on.

MD