Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2002, 02:02 AM

Default Sync and the USD.

Okay I've got a simple one for ya.

Here is what I've got:
G4 867Mhz
1024 Gb RAM
40 gb HD
OS 9.2.1

Mix 3

ADAT Bridge
1622 x 2
USD

MTP AV

ADAT XT20
AI-2 Sync box

DV Deck

What I want to do is be able to sync everything up so that PT is the timecode/clock master and the DV deck provides my timecode(VITC)/clock when I am using it. (It doesn't have a timecode in or a Vid Ref In)
My problem is that I can't even get PT to chase LTC that is striped to a channel the ADAT.

Here was my basic setup: LTC out of ch1 on the tape to the LTC in on the USD. In Peripherals >Synchronization the USD is the device and Digi Serial is the port. In the Session Setup window the USD is set to get LTC for position as well as clock. I used to do this on a daily basis to transfer to 2" but it wouldn't work today. The USD is geting LTC, I can see it on the LED and in the Session Setup window but PT won't chase when it's online.
Did I miss something in my simple setup? I hope I did because if I can't get this to work there is no way I'm going to get it all to work the I want PLEASE help.

Thanks in advance.

James Lee
Big Ugly Van Audio
Old 01-15-2002, 07:28 AM
Avid

Default Re: Sync and the USD.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by buvaudio:
The USD is geting LTC, I can see it on the LED and in the Session Setup window but PT won't chase when it's online.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-Is the 'Locked' LED on the USD solid red when sending it LTC?

-Make sure that the Session Start Time is set to a value equal to, or before the beginning timecode on the tape.

Brent
Old 01-15-2002, 08:12 AM

Doesn't sound like the USD is the master. you need to either clock the adats to the usd
or the usd to the adats. Right now you're trying to derive a clock from SMPTE and take in a digital signal from the ADATS. PT won't lock up that way.

The quickest way would be to run a wordclock from the Adats to the USD and set the USD to word clock and LTC for positional.

Otherwise, you'd need to set the USD to internal and clock the Adats to it. I don't know the AI 2...does it do that?

Point is that you're getting two clocks. One from smpte and one from the lightpipes. with transfering from 2", it simply had one clock... the one from the SMPTE.
Old 01-15-2002, 01:22 PM

thanks guys!

Digi Tech: no the "locked" LED is not on.

PT2GO: I think you got it. I'll try it tomorrow when I get back to the studio. And yes the AI-2 provides WC in/out, vid in/out, sync port for the ADAT, RS-232, 9 pin, and SMPTE in/out.

Thanks again everybody

James
Old 01-17-2002, 12:00 AM

I've spent the last couple of days reading manuals (ugh) on the USD and the AI-2. Am I correct in that the USD will clock to a video picture signal? I don't have a blackburst generator and the DV deck doesn't have ANY sync inputs (timecode or clock). So I was going to use the vid out of the dv desk to feed the "vid ref in" on the USD and then daisy chain it, using the vid thru, to the "vid in" of the USD. I was then going to send Word Clock out of the USD to the AI-2's WC in. (It won't sync to a video pict signal, just blackburst or color bars.)
As far as positional sync goes I will get VITC from the same vid signal already going to the USD and I will send LTC to and from the AI-2 to the USD. This should provide me with the options I need for locking together any combination of DV Deck/PT/ADATs

BTW I also have Machine Control, although it isn't installed yet. I was going to install it and controll the ADAT's thru it. The AI-2 emulates the Sony PCM-7030 DAT and also theBVU 950. Will this work?

I know this isn't the ideal way of sync'ing everything but I think this is the best way considering the gear I have available and the fact that the DV deck doesn't have any sync inputs. Please tell me if there is a better way with what I've got.

Thanks again,
James Lee Big Ugly Van Audio