Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 02-29-2016, 02:46 AM

Default Another "11R for live use" thread :)

Hi everybody!
I'm planning to start playing live again and I'd like to use my 11R instead of my old amp (weight reasons mostly).
I have some questions regarding 11R for live performances:
1. I'd like to go direct to the PA. What's best in your experience: using the PA monitors for listening to my guitar in the mix or having a dedicated active FRFR cab to monitor guitar exclusively?
2. If I need a FRFR cab, which is the best bang for the buck?
3. Is the lack of spillover very noticeable in live situations? If it is, I've got a g-major hanging around that I can use to address this problem: which is the best way to connect it to the 11R (11R's loop is not an option I suppose)?
Thanks in advance.
P.S. I wrote this post in other forums too to learn from more experiences possibile. Hope this won't upset you.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:35 AM

Default Re: Another "11R for live use" thread :)

I use my 11R live almost all the time. I also go Direct to FOH and just use the monitors to....monitor. Here is the Kicker though: I'm a Bass player so I don't have a lot of different things going on all the time. I may use a little Chorus, maybe a little overdrive, and occasionally, a little Flange. I set up all my "tones" on the 11R and usually have the mixer EQ set pretty flat.

My Guitar player also runs Direct to FOH, use the monitors like I do. For some reason though, he likes the low-mid and hi-mid boosted somewhat on the mixer. He can achieve the same thing by tweaking the 11R but he does what he does.

We are a 3 piece Blues/Rock band but shy away from really Heavy Metal stuff (we be old folk also). So, we don't get into a lot of distorted guitar, growling vocal stuff.

FRFR's are something we don't worry about. If for some reason we want something for monitoring other than the regular monitors we use, we just bring amps. It also would defeat the purpose of a quieter stage and less gear to move. Not saying to NOT get an FRFR, just don't need to do redundant setups. About the only time we actually do have amps on stage is when we are not using OUR PA and the one provided just isn't up to par. In the end though, it is all in what sounds best to you.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:30 PM

It's VERY helpful!
Thanks for your advice Wpawley.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:28 AM

Small world (!!!) but I will reply here also ;-)
Going direct and I use one of the band powered speaker for monitor (Yorkville NX55P) or I bring my EV ZLX12P (best bang for the buck).
We never bring amps anymore.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldR View Post
Small world (!!!) but I will reply here also ;-)
Going direct and I use one of the band powered speaker for monitor (Yorkville NX55P) or I bring my EV ZLX12P (best bang for the buck).
We never bring amps anymore.
Thanks again DonaldR!
P.S. 11R users' world is a small one :)