Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2005, 08:48 AM

Default diff between \"Gain\" and \"Normalize\" in Audiosuite

Can anyone tell me the differences between the 2?

Here's how I see it:

With Normalize, you're limited to the highest audio peak. The plugin will bring all audio levels up, relative to the highest peak. Once the peak hits the "ceiling", the plugin won't go any further.

With Gain, it looks like it will just keep boosting levels until, in practice, you could have one big fat waveform. By that time, most everyting would be unintelligble, of course.

So, Gain is Absolute, while Nornalize is Relative?

Gain looks like it's more flexible, since you can lower levels, as well as raise them.

What am I missing here?

Thanks
Old 04-09-2005, 07:33 AM

Default Re: diff between \"Gain\" and \"Normalize\" in Audiosu

Thanks. That's helpful info.

Quote:
Quote:
Can anyone tell me the differences between the 2?
I just had this come up too. In effect they do the same thing with Normalize being quicker for absolute peak/ max level before clipping
With Audiosuite Gain, there is a little box at the bottom which will survey the selection for it's dynamic peak, now aware of that, you can raise the enitre level by an amount which puts your peak where you want.
I have a pal who avoids normalizing, I'm not sure why since PT LE is not gain depent for resolution from what I've read.
He's an HD user and maybe that's different.
I generally don't unless the gain structure of a mix demands more level from that part. Also, sometimes when I have
several plugs in line, the I/O level of each can affect the results, so once in awhile I've had better results gaining more signal. RR
Old 04-10-2005, 05:31 AM

Default Re: diff between \"Gain\" and \"Normalize\" in Audiosuite

Normalize is the same as Gain. The difference is;

*Gain will increase the level by the amount decided by the slider

*Normalize first analyzes the entire region/s for the maximum peak reached. Then, depending on the Max Peak level you have set, it will raise the level of the entire region to such that the max peak of the resulting region does not exceed the value entered.

Example:

Maximum Peak of a region is analyzed at -8 by the Normalize AudioSuite
The Value entered in the Max Peak Box of the plugin is -1
The plugin will gain the region levels by 7db so that the maximum peak of the resulting region is -1
Old 04-10-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Re: diff between \"Gain\" and \"Normalize\" in Audiosu

Thanks for the reply. Makes sense to me.

Quote:
Normalize is the same as Gain. The difference is;

*Gain will increase the level by the amount decided by the slider

*Normalize first analyzes the entire region/s for the maximum peak reached. Then, depending on the Max Peak level you have set, it will raise the level of the entire region to such that the max peak of the resulting region does not exceed the value entered.

Example:

Maximum Peak of a region is analyzed at -8 by the Normalize AudioSuite
The Value entered in the Max Peak Box of the plugin is -1
The plugin will gain the region levels by 7db so that the maximum peak of the resulting region is -1