Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 03-25-2005, 06:00 PM

Default Automation Scaling

Hi there,

I can not mention how many times I have come across the need to be able to scale the the automation profile. This would be very useful in post production e.g. when you make a volume automation for a flying object approaching you but when you copy the automation to the frequency and gain of EQ, the profile sound right but the range is too much. So, it would be good to have the option to scale the profile (flatten or exagerate the profile) with a simple dialog box to allow you input a certain percentage.

I don't know if Digi likes to add this to their wish list or not. If there is a way to access this wish list, please let me know. Is there a way to send email more directly to the elevant Digi personel? If those people in charge read these items, how can we be sure which ones are read and sent for review, etc?

Also, I'm wondering if anybody knows a trick to get around this issue.

Thanks,

Arya
Old 03-25-2005, 09:31 PM

Default Re: Automation Scaling

SO interesting. I was just talking about this last night with a friend.

iw as saying that there ought to be a modulation or control routing system, like there used to be with sample cell, wehreby you could tie controllers together - i.e. the volume of the fader aslo affects the cutting of a filter, and the pan of another tack for instance. I also suggested that (again like the SC matrix) there be co-efficients for scaling.

There was a question here recently about inverting automation. It seems all these things are tied together. If the modulation matrix is too far afield, we ought to be able to cut and paste automation, and scale it, by proportion, and into negative (inverted) amounts.

please?
Old 03-27-2005, 07:21 PM

I can offer a way to trim the automation with a trim function, selecting envelope with selector tool and triming it down with the trim tool.

But as far as scalling %--sorry don't have a clue, but I tried..:)
Old 03-28-2005, 10:02 AM

Quote:
But as far as scalling %--sorry don't have a clue, but I tried..:)
Thanks for trying! The point here is that there actually is no way to scale automation in Pro Tools right now. We're making a feature request.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:08 AM

I just finished an extensive online course in Automation, but still can't achieve what I want, i.e. scale automation (not using Trim).

Has anyone figured out how to do this?

The only other thread I found so far: https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=382593&page=2