Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2019, 01:11 PM

Default Critique and Advice for Mixing and Mastering.

I would like opinions, facts, criticism, and advice on my mixing and mastering!

https://soundcloud.com/hash-bonesup/...by-austin-marc

I mixed and mastered this entire track, starting with the beat stems from the producer and then recording the vocals, mixed everything using mostly waves plugins. Mixed in one session, mastered in another session to touch up and add loudness. Used waves L3 16 limiter which they say "best used on a solo track" so I exported my master and then slapped the limiter on in a new session for max loudness.

What am I doing wrong?
Where do I need to improve?

Thank you, all help is appreciated!

P.S. (is using a stereo width plugin on the master chain bad approach)
Old 01-18-2019, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Critique and Advice for Mixing and Mastering.

Hey

Welcome to the Avid Forum

I have nothing but good things to say about the mix. If I am nitpicking deep I would maybe loose up on the widener plugin and also add a bit more Glue on the Master like a SSL Bus Compressor or the likeness just to tighten up everything a tad more. Thats IMHO of course and I think you will get several suggestions from members here that will differ from my thoughts which is a good thing so there are more than one opinion to try out!

We use our SSL4056G+ 56 channel console for these things but when I produce at my home setup and not in our big studio I use UAD-2 plugins mostly aswell as Slate everything bundle and some older waves and of course Soundtoys and a few other one shot developer offerings but I always use Console 1 mk2 compressor and eq on all tracks set up like our SSL mixer for familiarity and always on the master aux I put Cytomic The Glue ’ cause it sounds soo damn awesome with rap and poptunes.

Except for those two thoughts I would say Job Very Well Done!! Can’t hear any difference from other artists like Migo’s, Drake, Offset, Travis Scott etc and if I heard that on the radio I wouldn’t be at all thinking that this differ anything from the ”sound” of this style of music!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-18-2019, 01:46 PM

The automatic pitch correction that goes from 0:21 to 0:25 is in a different key than the beat, this might be an artistic aspect of the style or just whatever pleases you as the producer but I as a musician can't listen to it. About the mix, etc, the authority has already spoken, congratulations.

The best is on C frigian, that's the same as F natural minor
Old 01-18-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
The automatic pitch correction that goes from 0:21 to 0:25 is in a different key than the beat, this might be an artistic aspect of the style or just whatever pleases you as the producer but I as a musician can't listen to it. About the mix, etc, the authority has already spoken, congratulations.

The producer told me that the key was C major, I set the waves tune pitch correction to C major, I thought it sounded strange, then I thought my ears were just off. need to train my ears and learn more about keys
Old 01-18-2019, 04:44 PM

Also have been reworking the mix in an attempt to clean up harshness, is this "eq chart" something I should use as a reference?

https://www.audio-issues.com/music-m...ull-ever-need/

In my mix my vocals have "air" in the high end according to the male vocals on this eq chart.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:36 AM

Sorry, I didn't listen to the mix (yet), just wondering about the relevance to this forum?
Old 01-19-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by home_studio View Post
Sorry, I didn't listen to the mix (yet), just wondering about the relevance to this forum?
Anyone working in a home studio without a professional environment surrounded by professional ears can benefit from the opinions of a professional with audio experience and a valid opinion. Its all about progress!
Old 01-19-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:

you were 100% on point with that one. Changed the waves tune setting to F natural minor, it sounds so much better. Thank you for that!
Old 01-19-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones Up Records View Post
you were 100% on point with that one. Changed the waves tune setting to F natural minor, it sounds so much better. Thank you for that!
I would like to listen again.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I would like to listen again.
https://soundcloud.com/hash-bonesup/...by-austin-marc

uploaded the track F natural minor track, soundcloud servers are slow it may not be updated yet