Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-10-2002, 10:51 AM

Default Running Reason inside Tools LE

Any ideas running reason inside pro tools?
I have toolbox (audiomedia three) and cannot get reason to reconise or give the option on direct connect. Do I need spec drivers for the Aud card so that it allows Reason to "see" direct connect?
thanks juddy
Old 05-10-2002, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Running Reason inside Tools LE

You're only option is a minijack to twin RCA connector lead from your mac's headphone socket into the inputs on you're AM III.

I got the AMIII with the intention of using software synths with it so I knew I didn't need the input's the Digi001 has because most synths have direct connect drivers or their own RTAS plug-ins to route the audio into protools.

There is a program called Ugly VSTi that allows you to route 1 stereo midi channel into protools via direct connect.

For all those dance music oriented "Groovebox" type synths like reason and rebirth that only support steinberg standards, going through you're macs audio is the only option. Either than or print to audio and import as audio tracks. either way, you can only work on the mix of all the outputs rather than have drums into 1 aux, bass into another etc.. like you can with the other 90% of software synths that do support direct connect but don't have a sequencer front end like rebirth and reason do.

Hope this doesn't bug you too much, I'm guessing the fact rebirth and reason are both well under £250 is because they're supposed to be the software equivelent of a low end hardware workstation like the Roland MC 303. I imagine the cost of supporting every output standard would mean they'd need to charge more for them or something.

I do think rebirth would benfit from a direct connect output, it's got to sound better at 24bit than the muffled wet fart of a 303 sound it produces at present. Reason sounds excellent even without 24bit but I do wonder why they're not adding more support for sequencers that don't just follow everything steinberg do.

Sorry about the rant there, people have wanted to integrate propellerheads' synths with protools for a long time and they're not doing anything to help us out. It wouldn't surprise me if they could make back the development cost of adding direct connect support with the number of extra copies of the packages they'd sell to us protools users if we had the support.